New car - 2023 Mazda 3 2.5, same old questions.

I rather mess with the oil than the oil filter while under warranty.

Let's say you used a better (non-Mazda) oil filter and the engine died for some other reasons. Not saying Mazda will have a valid argument and/or will deny the warranty but why make things more complicated?

I've always used a thicker oil than specified after my dealer free oil changes ended and the car was still under warranty but use the oem oil filter purchased from the dealer. And if the engine fails, and the dealer says your oil filter is busted and caused the engine failure ... I'll say interesting, so when can I expect you to fix the engine and is the loaner 2024 or 2023? :ROFLMAO: Just keep it simple.

Also curious what reputation does this place have? lol tons of knowledge here imho.

"This place has the reputation it does for a good reason."

I finally got my new 2023 Mazda 3 2.5
Congratulations on the new car.

There is no particular reason to oversize the filter. I have used the Fram FE6607, Amsoil EA15K12-EA, PurolatorOne PL14612, Mobil 1 M1-108A, and Champ PH2876XL on my wife’s Mazda with comparable results.

The recommendation for 0W-20 in the USA is related to CAFE and gas mileage.

Take a look at the part numbers on USA and Euro engines and you’ll find no difference.

If you plan on beating the engine the only downside of a 0W-30 would be a very slight reduction in gas mileage.

Back