Do trees help block noise between homes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh. The fact that you begin to obsess over solutions such as this indicates that you've been driven over the top. It really is a terrible problem. My last house I couldn’t get from my car to my front door without triggering a spasm of barking from behind a six foot privacy fence that went on forever. I finally outlived the problem. The owner and believe it or not, the dog, both died within 6 months of each other. My reaction was muted.
Uh, you are addressing the wrong guy. All I did was respond to the OP with a possible solution like most of the otheres did too. I am not "obsessed" or "driven over the top" in any way. I am about as chill as anyone can be. Maybe you meant to address the OP? Easy mistake.

Apologies in order if my post was mis directed. I simply feel for the thread starter. I’ve been in a similar situation and the feeling of helplessness and anger towards a neighbor is overwhelming. I wish him well.

Another option is to sue the HOA for not doing something about it and no allowing the fence. And the dog owner.

Doesn’t hurt to talk to a lawyer. All you want is compensation for the fence/ trees.

Thanks all for the suggestions, wisdom, and advice. It has been one of my goals to move out to the country so that I can have more control of my "peace and quiet", but that dream is still in the works.

Currently mulling over my options about this yap yap issue.. and hope to some day report back that the issue resolved itself.

Don't they made some sort of ultra high frequency dog training device (that humans can't hear)? I think some of them have a remote control. It' would be nice to put in place near the fence (on your side) and then activate when necessary. Seems harmless and may work. Just an idea.
Just saw this...
www.barxbuddytrainer.com

No idea if it works, but there's also regular dog whistles. It'll take intervention on your part, but may be the cheapest, least confrontational way to try to curb the problem.

When I was a kid we had this neighbor with two awful Weimaraners. Everyone in earshot hated the dogs, but worse was when the owner would go outside and start yelling at them for barking. She was as bad as the dogs, and this would be at like 5:30 AM. That house generally created the most disturbance on an otherwise quiet street, people were glad when she moved.

It does not bark constantly, but when it does bark (when it wants to be let back inside the house) it makes a few sharp and loud YAP YAP YAPs. This happens a few times a day. The shape of their house probably also acts like a reflector and bounces the noise back to mine.

People should try to stop and read what was written. The barking dog only barks a few times and the owners let it in. This happens a few times a day. The system works for the dog and owner and is probably SOP for millions of dogs everywhere. Unfortunately Reddy45 is sensitized to the bark and it's impacting his quiet enjoyment of his property but it doesn't sound like something that would be commonly labelled as a nuisance by the HOA or local ordinance. You might not even be able to get someone to come out to investigate right now.

Our HOA has rules but suggests trying to talk to the dog owner first, yeah I tried that now the dog isn't out barking as much and the owner is p****d off at me. Being in the situation stinks.

Bring a skunk over there and let the dog get a good spray. That neighbor will not leave that dog outside after that. :eek:

My neighbor has two goldens and they bark all the time when being let out. When my kids were younger they put bark collars on the dogs. Now they have new goldens and they go out in the morning and bark and wake me up. Sucks when I'm in my backyard doing things and they just wanna yap.

The remote bark boxes look like a great solution if they actually work. I need to get one for my neighbors' neurotic cocker spaniel that barks its head off anytime I'm in my backyard.

They must travel a lot, and their dog sitters have a yappy bird dog of some sort that gets the spaniel even more riled up. Last time, they finally had a bark collar on the bird dog. Both dogs were going to town at me until the collar beeped; that got the one dog to stop, but the idiot spaniel kept barking and setting off the other one's collar. The collared dog was whimpering because it was so bad, but the spaniel kept barking obliviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back