Do trees help block noise between homes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a situation where the house behind mine (so our backyards touch, with 6ft wood privacy fence separating them) has a tiny dog that barks louder than gun shots and it flat out startles me every time it happens. Has only recently become an issue (presumably when they bought the dog) and it's starting to eat away at my sanity.

It does not bark constantly, but when it does bark (when it wants to be let back inside the house) it makes a few sharp and loud YAP YAP YAPs. This happens a few times a day. The shape of their house probably also acts like a reflector and bounces the noise back to mine.

The owners of the dog have no interest in addressing the problem as they have been notified about it a few times already and have not made any changes. It seems like they could just leave the back door cracked open enough so the dog can paw its way back in, but for whatever reason they don't do this.

So it seems I'm going to have to spend my own money to fix a problem caused by someone else. Such is life.

HOA regs would prevent me from erecting a 20ft privacy fence between our houses, so my only next option is tall trees that might possibly dissolve the acoustic signature of the bark sound.

Anyone know if trees actually work for something like this? I know trees can help diffuse road noise but that tends to resemble a drawn out woosh/rumble sound, whereas this bark is a sharp and short rap/yap type noise.

Betting your sanity will be long gone before any trees you plant would be big and full enough do any good. And good luck getting the HOA or animal enforcement to do anything about 4 or 5 yaps.

Search trees to block sound lots of good info. You want evergreens for obvious reasons planted closely like a hedge.

I know someone who got a high fence approved by calling it art (he had some artsy elements in it) to provide privacy from the neighbors.

Betting your sanity will be long gone before any trees you plant would be big and full enough do any good. And good luck getting the HOA or animal enforcement to do anything about 4 or 5 yaps.

Search trees to block sound lots of good info. You want evergreens for obvious reasons planted closely like a hedge.

I know someone who got a high fence approved by calling it art (he had some artsy elements in it) to provide privacy from the neighbors.

I will need to call around tomorrow to some local nurseries, but it looks like the Leyland Cypress is what I want and these are sold in various heights. May be able to get some 10-12ft tall ones planted for under a grand. Still shaking my head that it has come to this...

You would need something like a blue spruce or pine which has foliage low to the ground and builds up. I have been in pine forrests and it is the most quiet, tranquil places you can imagine. My brother planted a row of bamboo to solve his issues. Otherwise, hope that a coyote hears all that noise from the dog.

You would need something like a blue spruce or pine which has foliage low to the ground and builds up. I have been in pine forrests and it is the most quiet, tranquil places you can imagine. My brother planted a row of bamboo to solve his issues. Otherwise, hope that a coyote hears all that noise from the dog.
Trap a coyote and through it over the fence.

What about the HOA rules? Does it address barking/nuisances/noises? I know some HOAs have rules about virtually everything that occurs outside of the residence (paint colors, approved trees that can be planted, working on vehicles, etc.) in order to have a "harmonious community".

I dont think there is much you can do short of wearing ear plugs. A single row of Cypress will not dampen the sound much, you need 2 or 3 deep and they need to grow together to get really dense. And once they take off they get really tall, you need a big yard to not be overwhelmed. I hate to see you spend several thousand dollars and not get any meaningful results.
You could put a microphone on the fence and run it through an amp to a loudspeaker horn pointed at their house, at least you wont be the only one suffering.

It's not the dogs fault. Dogs/animals react/act like their owners. "I" would become "that neighbor." Dog barks, call the HOA. Dog barks go over and tell the owners the dog is barking. I would make my problem become their problem.

Short answer, no. Sorry about the situation you are in. Don't retaliate, we had to move from our previous place due to neighbor issues.

As someone else said, trees or hedges won't grow fast enough to make a difference and bad people can simply poison them. A fence would need to be sound deadening (e.g. soft timber, maybe? - not metal which can reverberate). Still unlikely to solve it. I hear a small dog yapping 6 doors down right now.

You have been too patient with them and that let them think they are getting away with it.

You have to escalate it and it's up to you to choose expedience versus being a law abiding citizen.

That should not involve harming the dog, it can just be put in a new home after you have destroyed the lives of the owners. ;)

Last edited:
I will need to call around tomorrow to some local nurseries, but it looks like the Leyland Cypress is what I want and these are sold in various heights. May be able to get some 10-12ft tall ones planted for under a grand. Still shaking my head that it has come to this...

Yes, Trees do help, trees with snow on them= Awsome

Those Leyland Cypress trees are your best option and some neighbors have used them for privacy in the "Private" community I live in. They grow fast, feed them.

Trees would do as much as a fence IMO.

We’ve planted about 100 trees on our property since buying it. The “screen” trees are hybrids and grow anywhere from 3-5’ a year once established. I started with 3’ bare root November 2019 and some are pushing 6’ now, but you could have gone to 6’ bare root or 8-10’ trees in 2 gallon pots. It all depends on what you’re wanting to spend. I planted some poplar hybrids just because their grow rat interested me. 5-8’ a year once established.

Something like an arborvitae (cedar/ evergreen) hybrid would be my choice assuming the area gets adequate drainage. Year round foliage. They also require less maintenance and watering.

I had my custom built home with 2X6 studs, Rockwool wall insulation and impact resistant windows. If a tornado strikes my home while I’m sleeping, I probably won’t hear it coming.

If his neighbor has been uncooperative, what makes you think they would agree to a collar like this?

You’re basically screwed. Once the sound of a barking dog gets in your head it’s all you hear. My HOA doesn’t allow dogs to be kept outside. We have many rules, that one is the best by far. There is no foolproof solution to your problem I fear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back