Home Invasion Robbery today :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm sitting at my desk this afternoon at about 1:30pm, and I hear my dog bark outside, really crazy-like. I look out the window, and there is a guy breaking into my Legacy not 5 feet in front of me. Another guy is breaking down my side fence to the backyard, and another is going for the front door.

I grab my large black cordless phone and run for the door, dialing 911. I yell "GET THE F*CK AWAY FROM MY CAR" really loud, and the guy drops what he has and starts running for his getaway car, parked in my nextdoor neighbor's driveway. The two other guys start running too, and they jump in the Impala and back out of the driveway onto our very busy street. The one guy who was trying to pull the window off of my car stops for a second, curses at me, and then gets in the car and they take off. I'm on the line with Dispatch at this time with full clothing and personal descriptions, along with an exact description of the car and correct plate numbers.

I run to the neighbor's house to see if anyone is home, and she is. She got everything on their surveillance cameras (including the car and occupants), and called her husband to come home and pull it off of the computer for the police. Big dirty handprints all over my car, good evidence.

So I'm waiting about 4-5 minutes outside my house with my phone and handheld video camera, waiting for the cops to arrive. I keep seeing brown Impalas crossing the opposite corner, like 3 of them, within two minutes. Then the suspects' vehicle crosses the intersection...same brown Impala, no wheel covers, same plate #, same guys inside. I stupidly point at them, while I had already dialed 911 again as they were coming up the street. They pull up into my driveway and start to get out. I'm thinking, "Oh *****, I'm going to get shot today!". Sargeant on the other line is listening to all this, as I jump down under some bricks in front of my house, expecting to hear bullets flying. The guys come after me, just as HPD comes cranking up the street with their lights and sirens. Clowns jump back in the car, take off down the street, and are aprehended.

The cops bring everyone back to my house including the car, and I positively ID each one of them, and we review the video of the crime. Class A felonies for each, and one had an outstanding felony warrant, and the other had a bunch of weed on them. Car had some stolen clothing and a few car GPS units, but no other drugs/guns....too bad. Bad juys are mouthing off in the car, and the supervisor cop really shoves the guy around and calls him a "piece of *****", and kept telling him that he's so G-D lucky that I didn't shoot his @ss. Then bad guy #1 tries to get out of the squad car, yelling at me "I'm gonna kill you, Mother-Fer!", tack on more charges and tresspass warnings.

Went shopping for guns tonight, found a nice compact 9mm that I like (Taurus Millenium Pro, for those who know guns), going to try it out at a local range this week and begin the application for a Conceal & Carry permit.

James/Cops 1, Bad Guys O....as long as they stay away from my house!!

I have uploaded all of my handheld video as well as the 15-minute clip from my neighbor's surveillance camera. It's the most recent 9 videos: http://www.vimeo.com/user794261/videos

Good idea getting a pistol, but I wouldn't live in a house that didn't have a good 12 gauge pump action shotgun with 00 buck. Mossberg 500 or 870 Remington, take your pick.

Yes, I can get a cheap Mossberg at Academy (sporting goods store) for under $200, but I haven't finished up my TX driver's license paperwork and $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ (it's a process, moving from CA to TX), so I can't purchase a firearm retail at the moment...looking at garage sales and whatnot :)

wow. Glad you werent hurt, and glad you were there.

Seems odd that they would (a) park in a neighbor's driveway (throws flags for any other person in the neighborhood), and (b) would attempt more than one crime at a time (more chances for something to go wrong).

You referred to the guys as gentlemen at one point. i would have called them something else.

Is it an issue to have this on the internet? Do you want your name on the page? Gun or not, is that smart?

best of luck, and I hope they stay away.

+1

A 12 gauge shotgun is an effective home defense tool. More effective than a handgun and less likely to be involved in an accident.

Also, like JHZR2 suggested, you should disconnect your name from anything you post regarding your experience.

Quote:
Seems odd that they would (a) park in a neighbor's driveway (throws flags for any other person in the neighborhood), and (b) would attempt more than one crime at a time (more chances for something to go wrong).

A (now retired) PA state trooper says that it's hard for a legit person ..even for a cop..to figure some of the stuff that thieves do. He said most of them just walk up and do stuff just like that. He had one gang (the Johnson brothers) who liked to steal farm equipment. They'd just see the equipment and rolled up a trailer and loaded it up. No one paid them any mind. Some of the gang members did get caught ..but it was nothing compared to what they got away with.

If these two houses weren't occupied, this would have probably been successful. Even the neighbor's surveillance would have just provided suspects. Without the video... I doubt that the investigation would have gone too far if it was covered by insurance and threat of assault wasn't in the mix.

This turned out okay. Glad you're in one piece to tell us about it.
cheers3.gif

[censored]! glad you're OK. If at all possible I would move and change my name. sacry stuff.

Geez!!

Glad you're all ok there....

Good goin' getting some protection!
thumbsup2.gif

Give that dog some of it's favorite treats!

wow you got really lucky, it's a good thing that your neighbor has security cameras and that these guys didn't have guns on them which I find kinda surprising.

Its wasn't some of the Katrina 'victims' was it? I remember a lot of them relocated to your area and the crime rate went through the roof.
Remington 870 worth the extra $$ over the Mossberg. Nicer made with a better action.

Get a shotgun. Can get a used 870 Wingmaster or 870 Police model for $200-250. Don't be scared of these punks. They come back to your house, take care of business.

These guys were so stupid, I am not worried about names on the internet stories. Not a problem with the cops/DA either, I asked. Yes, we are looking to move, but may not be able to due to our lease contract. I put more cameras out last night, quick scan showed nothing out of the ordinary, but I didn't sleep very well.

Glad your ok.
Everyone should own a gun for this very reason.
Just showing a weapon,would have prevented these guys from coming back to your home.
I sleep very well at night with a pistol on my nightstand.
It wouldn't hurt to spend some time at the range either.

Wow, thankfully you're okay! I can't believe the audacity of these guys to come back after they know you've called the cops. In braod daylight, they come back to get you...jeeze...

I'm a big gun fan, but yeah, if I were you, I'd arm myself to the teeth. You've got reason!

Glad you're OK. Chances are these same knuckleheads won't strike the same house twice, but sometimes idiots like these are unpredictable. Definitely get a good 12 ga. shotgun, and talk to the guys at the guns store about what ammo they recommend in it for home defense. One last thing - screw the lease; I'd pay whatever I had to in order to break it, then move to a different (safer) neighborhood.

Again, glad to hear you're OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back