Decision Time, Would like some input from the forum

Any and every oil used will be diluted regardless of certifications or approvals. The only thing that will keep your oil from becoming "too thin" is a more viscous oil or shorter OCI if remaining with the spec'd viscosity.

You could do "either/or/or both"

5w30 and 5K
0w20 and 4k-5k
5w30 and 4k-5k

Substitute one quart of the sump total with 5W30 same brand and line.
M1 EP should be superior to AFE for you issues
Valvoline Advanced is good also. I sub Magnetec on top of the Valvoline and engines love it
Proven with multiple stellar extended UOA posted here.

Because no 0w-20 ever harmed any motor
Sure it has. What you posit is unsubstantiated.
There are many engines with one or more bearings way out of clearance, and I am sure the MOFT was insufficient and the load to large at one point of operation and it damaged or seized, then spun the bearing.

Because no 0w-20 ever harmed any motor
0/5W-20 in early Theta II engines. 7~8K OCIs and the oil would be so fuel diluted that it would damage the bearings. Since then, 5W-30 has become the default recommendation for 2.4 GDI Thetat II and 5W-40 in the 2.0 T-GDI. Hyundai never admitted to the fuel dilution issue and instead had other stories to explain the engine failures. They had to lie because they used 5W-20 for the EPA fuel mileage test cycle. They were even sued for the stated fuel mileage not matching the Monroney sticker, not even close because once you run a different oil, you get a different MPG result. Dealers started getting service bulletins asking them to run the more viscous oils in these engines. Many just defaulted to 5W-30 for everything, which kind of left the 2.0 T-GDI owners to hang out to dry. Thank God that there aren't that many around anymore as Hyundai has moved on to newer engines.

That being said, I run 0W-20 in our 2.5 MPI/GDI Hyundai Sonata. But this engine does not dilute fuel, at least not at the rate that the older GDI Theta II did. I run 5W-30 in my fuel diluting 2.4 GDI engine in the Santa Fe Sport. The 2.5 Smartstream engine with 0W-20 is very fuel-efficient. It beats the crap out of the older 2.4 GDI engine. That engine can't deal with fuel edited 0/5W-20 oils. When dealing with fuel dilution, it's good to have a safety net.

0/5W-20 in early Theta II engines. 7~8K OCIs and the oil would be so fuel diluted that it would damage the bearings. Since then, 5W-30 has become the default recommendation for 2.4 GDI Thetat II and 5W-40 in the 2.0 T-GDI. Hyundai never admitted to the fuel dilution issue and instead had other stories to explain the engine failures. They had to lie because they used 5W-20 for the EPA fuel mileage test cycle. They were even sued for the stated fuel mileage not matching the Monroney sticker, not even close because once you run a different oil, you get a different MPG result. Dealers started getting service bulletins asking them to run the more viscous oils in these engines. Many just defaulted to 5W-30 for everything, which kind of left the 2.0 T-GDI owners to hang out to dry. Thank God that there aren't that many around anymore as Hyundai has moved on to newer engines.

That being said, I run 0W-20 in our 2.5 MPI/GDI Hyundai Sonata. But this engine does not dilute fuel, at least not at the rate that the older GDI Theta II did. I run 5W-30 in my fuel diluting 2.4 GDI engine in the Santa Fe Sport. The 2.5 Smartstream engine with 0W-20 is very fuel-efficient. It beats the crap out of the older 2.4 GDI engine. That engine can't deal with fuel edited 0/5W-20 oils. When dealing with fuel dilution, it's good to have a safety net.
Our 2.0T's oil gets changed every 3K and no more than 6 months on 5/10w30. Other than that, it gets M1HM 10w30 (higher HT/HS than regular 10w30) or 5W-40. The 2.0Nu came with 5w20 from the factory and i have used both 20 and 30.

Our 2.0T's oil gets changed every 3K and no more than 6 months on 5/10w30. Other than that, it gets M1HM 10w30 (higher HT/HS than regular 10w30) or 5W-40. The 2.0Nu came with 5w20 from the factory and i have used both 20 and 30.
Could call on the M1 HM 5/10W-30 oil for that motor. It's a good motor as long as you keep it well maintained. Make sure to change the spark plugs once in a while. They have a habit of disintegrating if they're in there for too long.

Did you post this in the UOA forum? If not, would you mind doing so, please? I'd like to see the full report.
That'd be awesome!

Could call on the M1 HM 5/10W-30 oil for that motor. It's a good motor as long as you keep it well maintained. Make sure to change the spark plugs once in a while. They have a habit of disintegrating if they're in there for too long.

That'd be awesome!
Yup, now at 238K miles and zero mechanical issue. Not even an oil leak. Have changed the plugs twice now.

Don't know if this link has ever been posted, but many with the same model CRV have issues with heat in the winter.

I know I'd be ticked if I had that issue and Honda had no fix.
Man, I just purchased a 2021 Honda Civic with that engine. I sure in the heck hope my heat works well this winter. Geez.

Man, I just purchased a 2021 Honda Civic with that engine. I sure in the heck hope my heat works well this winter. Geez.
Probably the new Hondas are designed/assembled with USSR-era automotive heating tech. :ROFLMAO:

One of my friends has a 17 CR-V with 70K. Oil has been changed every 10k with M1 EP or AFE. It has the latest PCM calibration (for the fuel dilution fix). From what I can tell, there have been no adverse effects to the fuel dilution.

One of my friends has a 17 CR-V with 70K. Oil has been changed every 10k with M1 EP or AFE. It has the latest PCM calibration (for the fuel dilution fix). From what I can tell, there have been no adverse effects to the fuel dilution.
I wonder what it sacrifices to achieve less fuel dilution. These small engines are already pathetically weak.

Has he ever had a UOA with that combo?

Has he ever had a UOA with that combo?

Thanks!

Holy fuel dillution, Batman

It runs fine...

The report at 40K was after the reflash. Judging by the viscosity, the fuel dilution may have been slightly less, but was probably still quite high.
Honda could have avoided this by installing 4 extra MPI injectors. Always eyeballing how to save a buck. It took Hyundai only a decade to figure out how badly they screwed up with GDI/T-GDI.

Back