New Civic Touring Sedan Oil/Filter Choices

Just purchased a new 2023 Honda Civic Touring Sedan with the 1.5t. Traded a 2020 CRV that was a real oil dilluter. Had a 2019 Civic Touring Coupe, also a 1.5t that had, literally, no dilution issues. Ran Mobil1 0w20 AFE and the Mobil1 M110a filters( then made by Champion). Locally I can get 5-quart bundles of Mobil1 0w20 AFE, or EP for approximately the same price, the AFE bundles come with the current Purolator filters and the EP with either the M1 or K&N HP-1008. (According to K&N, Champion built). Until I get some indication or UOA, I'm planning on 3-3500 mile OCI's. So, need some information or advice on if there's a significant difference/benefit to running the 0w20 EP over the AFE? The dealer does my changes (too old and creaky to DIY). Ultimately, probably not much of a difference, but currently thinking the M1 0w20 EP and the K&N. Any other 0w20's I should consider? I've used M1 0W-30 AFE before with good results, but if an engine is a real dilluter, doesn't seem to matter, shorter OCI'S are the only solution if you intend to keep the car. I'd like to try some of the European spec oils but Honda (I have an extended warranty) specification is for API SP GF-6A.

Since you are planning on shorter intervals due to the fuel dilution, I would save a couple of dollars and use AFE. I would have no issue using the Purolator filters. The current M1 filters (that I have seen and/or used) are identical to Purolator One filters.

If there is truly no difference in cost, then flip a coin.

Odd that the CRV was a diluter but not the Civic. Same engine. Any theories?
Absolutely none, the 19 Civic with 5k OCI's had Absolutely perfect UOA's, can only assume the CRV with radiator shutters ran cooler and with a bit more boost was "a perfect storm " .

Use Honda's filter. K&N, Mobil, etc filters are just re-branded, mid-grade filters made by someone else, if I'm not mistaken.

Congratulations on the vehicle. My mother has a 22 Civic Touring with the 1.5. Very nice vehicle.
I am taking care of it for her. Not that what I am doing is the standard by any means, but...
I am changing the oil at 50% on the OLM and 0%. I am using Valvoline EP 0W20 and the OEM filter. I know the guy at the dealership parts counter, so he gives me the made in Japan filters, rather than the standard made in America or Canada ones. Are they "better"? Maybe? In my mind they are. :cool:

HAMP filters

earlier on here somebody questioned why the l15 that's in the Civic and in the CRV have different fuel dilution issues. my guesstimation is that people who drive the Civic probably driving it in a more sporty manner. people in the CRV minus me of course would drive it to the pet store the liquor store and church and that's about it. there's not really much of a aftermarket performance selection for them minus the downpipe and the air filter and is such most people driving with one something that has a better selection. I run 0w30 in our Honda CRV

HAMP filters
What's the filtration efficiency?

Tough Guard would be my choice. I believe the OEM is similar in construction to a tough guard.

M1 0w-20 and PLM-A02 filters for the same car on my end, and our 1.5t CRV. Oil dilution sounds scary in theory but doesn’t actually matter from any of the UOAa I’ve seen. Even the worst measured dilution I’ve seen nearing 10% shows no wear to be concerned with. Companies who design the oils are well aware of the proliferation of DI and its inherent tendency to dilute oils (and Not just in Hondas) and design/test their oils accordingly. Not a single person here beating the dead horse can actually show me a dead or injured horse. That’s why this topic is banned on some other forums, it’s nonsense that’s been covered as nauseum.

Last edited:
M1 0w-20 and PLM-A02 filters for the same car on my end, and our 1.5t CRV. Oil dilution sounds scary in theory but doesn’t actually matter from any of the UOAa I’ve seen. Even the worst measured dilution I’ve seen nearing 10% shows no wear to be concerned with. Companies who design the oils are well aware of the proliferation of DI and its inherent tendency to dilute oils (and Not just in Hondas) and design/test their oils accordingly. Not a single person here beating the dead horse can actually show me a dead or injured horse. That’s why this topic is banned on some other forums, it’s nonsense that’s been covered as nauseum.
Agree on most points, however, when my wife's 2020 CRV which gets a LOT of short trips (she just turned 10k miles in 3 1/2 years) shows 60% oil life remaining at 2000 miles on Mobil1 0w20 EP and the UOA shows it thinned below viscosity, I am concerned and tend to be proactive. Discussion with my servicing technician and service advisor indicated that, considering use and effect, going to a 30 weight based oil and 2-3K intervals would be prudent. We use Mobil1 5W-30 EP and either the Honda 02 filter or the K&N and that seems to help. The oil doesn't tend to rise on the dipstick as before. I'm planning on the Mobil1 0w20 EP or AFE and the K&N on the Civic based on my experience with my 2019 Civic Touring Coupe. Yes, it's an overblown issue, but still worthy of concern and discussion. If you are aware of a problem and educate yourself, you can be proactive rather than reactive. What made you choose the M1 EP over the AFE?

Agree on most points, however, when my wife's 2020 CRV which gets a LOT of short trips (she just turned 10k miles in 3 1/2 years) shows 60% oil life remaining at 2000 miles on Mobil1 0w20 EP and the UOA shows it thinned below viscosity, I am concerned and tend to be proactive. Discussion with my servicing technician and service advisor indicated that, considering use and effect, going to a 30 weight based oil and 2-3K intervals would be prudent. We use Mobil1 5W-30 EP and either the Honda 02 filter or the K&N and that seems to help. The oil doesn't tend to rise on the dipstick as before. I'm planning on the Mobil1 0w20 EP or AFE and the K&N on the Civic based on my experience with my 2019 Civic Touring Coupe. Yes, it's an overblown issue, but still worthy of concern and discussion. If you are aware of a problem and educate yourself, you can be proactive rather than reactive. What made you choose the M1 EP over the AFE?
There are currently rebates where the EP is $10 back, while AFE is $6 back, so it makes the EP cheaper. I bought 6 jugs using this deal...well I bought 2, and a few relatives, which for us is like a 2 year supply. I also like the idea of using an extended oil since i feel like it may perform better in the short term as its meant to last longer.

Link with Info: Mobil 1™ – Terms
Website to submit rebates: Mobil 1™ Rebate login

I bought my jugs at Walmart and they're like $29 bucks for a 5qt - $10 rebate

With my new Civic Touring Sedan under warranty and using the dealership (and my chosen tech) for service to preserve that warranty (Hondacare 100k/8 yrs) will use M1 0w20 EP and the Honda 15400-PLM-A02 filter so there should be no issues that Honda can contest, planning on OCI'S between 3-5k depending on a UOA at around 3k for assessment. My 2019 Civic Touring Coupe ran Mobil1 0w20 AFE with 5k intervals with essentially perfect UOA's, viscosity stayed in grade, OD was low and wear, based on metals was excellent. Hopefully the 2023 will follow that pattern. My cost difference between the AFE and EP is only about $3 for 5 quarts, with a larger rebate making it actually cost less. In all likelihood, with a documented service history of regular OCI'S there would likely be no warranty issues using either M1 0W-30 AFE or 5W-30 EP as they are both API with latest certifications and, depending on how the 0w-20 performs, may consider them as I intend to keep this Civic for 5-10 years.

Honda wrench since the early 90s. I have a 2019 civic type-r. 5k interval, valvoline ep 0w-20 and a champ xl PH2867XL. Oil from wally, filters by the dozen from rock. Done.

Either valvoline ep or m1 ep will do you well. Different powertrain but i run my car a lot and run it hard on occasion, never have dilution issues. Have a 7/125 extended too. None of the oils on market will void it as long as changed correctly.

I travel to a lot of indycar & imsa events and I’m on my 4th or 5th change since late feb / early march.

Who did your UOAs on that 2019 Civic Speedy? Got one to post here?
The UOA's were Blackstone, well aware of their deficiencies in OD measurements, but oil never showed a tendency to rise in the stick, no distinct fuel odor from stick and metals showed typical predictable drop from break in levels until 20k when they were stable and low. Will use a different lab for future UOA's.

Back