Dealer Severely Overtightened Lugnuts!

If the lug nuts are too loose, the shop can have a real problem on their hands so my guess is they make sure they aren’t too loose by erring on the side of making them too tight.

I carry one of these (a 2767) in my car trunk at all times. I'm sure there are other guys on BITOG who own this tool. Might be a little overkill for lug nuts, but it has 4 torque settings and can be adjusted from "normal lug nuts" to "something is going to break." I daresay this beast will break loose any fastener on a car or light truck where you can get the wrench on it. I've used it on crankshaft bolts and front and rear suspension bolts/nuts. I used to be the guy who carried a 3/4" breaker bar and 4' pipe with me; no longer needed.

I carry one of these (a 2767) in my car trunk at all times. I'm sure there are other guys on BITOG who own this tool. Might be a little overkill for lug nuts, but it has 4 torque settings and can be adjusted from "normal lug nuts" to "something is going to break." I daresay this beast will break loose any fastener on a car or light truck where you can get the wrench on it. I've used it on crankshaft bolts and front and rear suspension bolts/nuts. I used to be the guy who carried a 3/4" breaker bar and 4' pipe with me; no longer needed.
The 4’ pipe is good is good for altercations but I suppose a 9 mm is better. :)

Astro14

$100 Site Donor
Staff member
Then why are they designed to work in reverse?
Not all of them are.

My split beam has a ratchet head that only tightens conventional (right hand thread). The owners manual on every torque wrench I’ve ever owned cautioned that a torque wrench shouldn’t be used as a breaker bar.

Why would I use a $100+ tool and risk damage when I’ve got better, cheaper alternatives?