Dealer Severely Overtightened Lugnuts!

If the lug nuts are too loose, the shop can have a real problem on their hands so my guess is they make sure they aren’t too loose by erring on the side of making them too tight.

I carry one of these (a 2767) in my car trunk at all times. I'm sure there are other guys on BITOG who own this tool. Might be a little overkill for lug nuts, but it has 4 torque settings and can be adjusted from "normal lug nuts" to "something is going to break." I daresay this beast will break loose any fastener on a car or light truck where you can get the wrench on it. I've used it on crankshaft bolts and front and rear suspension bolts/nuts. I used to be the guy who carried a 3/4" breaker bar and 4' pipe with me; no longer needed.

I carry one of these (a 2767) in my car trunk at all times. I'm sure there are other guys on BITOG who own this tool. Might be a little overkill for lug nuts, but it has 4 torque settings and can be adjusted from "normal lug nuts" to "something is going to break." I daresay this beast will break loose any fastener on a car or light truck where you can get the wrench on it. I've used it on crankshaft bolts and front and rear suspension bolts/nuts. I used to be the guy who carried a 3/4" breaker bar and 4' pipe with me; no longer needed.
The 4’ pipe is good is good for altercations but I suppose a 9 mm is better. :)

Then why are they designed to work in reverse?
Not all of them are.

My split beam has a ratchet head that only tightens conventional (right hand thread). The owners manual on every torque wrench I’ve ever owned cautioned that a torque wrench shouldn’t be used as a breaker bar.

Why would I use a $100+ tool and risk damage when I’ve got better, cheaper alternatives?

Then why are they designed to work in reverse?
To use the torque wrench on a fastener that tightens in that reverse direction.

An example of when I use mine in reverse is torquing the sway bar end links on my Charger. The ball joint studs and their nuts both require manipulation to properly torque. Holding the nut with a box-end wrench while torquing the stud with a torque wrench (set to reverse direction) is my normal procedure for installation on those parts.

An example of when I use mine in reverse is torquing the sway bar end links on my Charger. The ball joint studs and their nuts both require manipulation to properly torque. Holding the nut with a box-end wrench while torquing the stud with a torque wrench (set to reverse direction) is my normal procedure for installation on those parts.
Are you using a crows foot upside down or something? I'm trying to picture how you'd ever turn a right-handed fastener other than clockwise.

To use the torque wrench on a fastener that tightens in that reverse direction.

How would this be any different though than using a torque wrench to loosen a fastener as long as your torque setting was higher than the fastener torque? I don’t as a general practice but have occasionally done so on lug nuts after having tires installed when in a rush. Reversed with a setting of 150 then tightened to 98lbs of torque.

Are you using a crows foot upside down or something? I'm trying to picture how you'd ever turn a right-handed fastener other than clockwise.
I’m turning the fastener (the nut) clockwise but that means turning the stud on not which it’s tightening the opposite direction at the same time. It is that stud that I have the torque wrench on since I can’t use it on the nut without covering up the end of the stud where the hex head a lot is to use in turning it.

I could use a crows foot on the nut and torque that, as long as I were able to hold the stud from turning as well. But I don’t have a crows foot that fits these nuts, so I hold them with a wrench and torque the stud.

How would this be any different though than using a torque wrench to loosen a fastener as long as your torque setting was higher than the fastener torque? I don’t as a general practice but have occasionally done so on lug nuts after having tires installed when in a rush. Reversed with a setting of 150 then tightened to 98lbs of torque.
IDK, maybe it isn’t?

Back