Locking lugnut remover

Hey guys,

I lost the key to the locking lugnuts on the Canyon. I happened to have one of the removal sockets in my tool collection, so I used it today, with success. It dug into the socket as I rotated it & simultaneously hit it with a heavy hammer, and the lug nut came off the wheel stud. But now I can't get the lug nut out of the tool. I've drown it in silicone lubricant ( I know, it's not penetrating oil, but the lubricant is disappearing down into the threads of the socket, so it's gotta be doing something). I've clamped down on the lugnut with Vise Grips, put a breaker bar on the socket, and twisted on it & beat the Vise Grips with a hammer until I'm exhausted.

Are these things just disposable? Are you not intended to be able to get the lug nut out of them?

if there is an opening at the back (for square drive) use something to pound it out.

or give us a picture of the stuck object in question.

Reactions: JC1
Just double checking here but when you have the nut in the vise are you turning the socket the correct direction meaning you'll want to turn it as if you're tightening the nut onto the wheel stud instead of loosening it when you took it off the wheel.

Yep...turning it righty-tighty... which should be righty-loosey in this case. Don't have a bolt to turn it on to other than on the truck wheel, and that would essentially be putting the lock back on the wheel, so I guess I'll just go buy another tool to get the other three locks off, and hope they don't do the same thing. Thanks guys.

I have this Lisle kit.

lt4000-locktech.jpg

It has a piece to knock it out with from the back side. Alternatively, you could screw it back on loosely and try to work it off with an extension.

The last time I lost the key, I called the manufacturer's customer service.
They told me to send the picture of the keyed lugnut and I paid them.
They sent me the correct key.

Put a stud into a vise and remove the tool from the nut. And, the 'stud' could just be a bolt for LowesDepot in the same thread.

Post a picture of the tool that you used that won't release the 'lug nut'.

Put a stud into a vise and remove the tool from the nut. And, the 'stud' could just be a bolt for LowesDepot in the same thread.

Post a picture of the tool that you used that won't release the 'lug nut'.

This is the exact tool from OReilly. 1". It has a death grip on the locking lug nut. I've been meaning to buy a vise and figure out a way to mount it to the wood top of my tool chest, but haven't gotten around to it. I put the tool on my breaker bar, had someone stand on the bar, while I twist the lugnut clockwise. I even ground two flat spots into the lugnut so the Vise Grips could grab it. Won't budge, with me putting all my weight on it, or hitting it with a 5 lb. hammer.

Not a huge deal. I'll just go get another one. I can't get this unlucky twice, right?

Lug tool.JPG

The thieves that steal rims/wheels always bring '4'. 🤣

That lugnutremover costs ~$20

In the ol' days, I'd use a chicom/asian sourced cheap 12 pt $4 socket tapped(hammered) on the locking nut(socket would sometimes develop hairline cracks). Thats 12 points of grip! Had enough friction to remove plenty of locking nuts(the kind with the smooth outer diameter). There wasn't enough 'stretch' from quality sockets. So, I wouldn't recommend hammering a quality socket or 6-pointer. And, was easy enough to punch out the locknut from inside the generic 'socket'.

Never did get the lug nut out of the socket. Bought another socket, got another lug nut off the truck, but now the same situation. The Vise Grips / breaker bar just can't provide enough torque to free it. So now I have 2 brand new sockets with lug nuts stuck in them.

Went looking for M12 x 1.5 hex bolts last night to thread into the lug nuts and attempt to use a socket wrench / breaker bar combo, but Lowes, Home Depot, nor O-Reilly carry such a thing. Without hex bolts, I'd have to buy a vise, and possibly an impact wrench to get them separated. It's cheaper to just buy more sockets, so, that's what I'm doing.

Thanks, guys!

Find another socket with an opening a little bigger than this one and put them face to face on a concrete floor. Find a punch or drift or even a long bolt a little less than 1/2 inch diameter and insert into the square hole against the stuck piece. Pound with a BFH.

Find another socket with an opening a little bigger than this one and put them face to face on a concrete floor. Find a punch or drift or even a long bolt a little less than 1/2 inch diameter and insert into the square hole against the stuck piece. Pound with a BFH.
I don't think it can be pounded out like that. It appears the inside of the socket is reversed taper threaded like a external pipe thread die cutting tool. From the picture, the lug nut must be unscrewed from the socket.

I would think that a deep well socket of the same size or slightly smaller, a punch or drift and a BFH might do the trick.

Back