locking lug nut removal sockets

These look exactly the same as damaged bolt removal sockets. I used one of these years ago on my bike and they didn't work well at all, but I do believe you're supposed to pound them on good with a hammer and my 10 year old self may not have done that. Opinions on these? Do they expect you to pound them onto locking lug nut?

My concern, based on the vehicle wheels I've had, is that the body of the socket wouldn't fit inside the "well" of the lug nut hole; it seems too large. But pics on the net aren't always the best.
Makes sense. I've heard the method mechanics use is just pound a regular chrome socket on that's bit smaller, but then again I think mechanics have a universal key for every brand vehicle.

My concern, based on the vehicle wheels I've had, is that the body of the socket wouldn't fit inside the "well" of the lug nut hole; it seems too large. But pics on the net aren't always the best.

Agreed, they wouldn't fit my locking nuts which practical fill the space so that you would never get anything over them. The "key" fits in the face of the bolt not on the outside.

What you need to get locking wheel nuts off is a wheel thief. Given they will have them off no trouble in a matter of seconds it would be better to toss the locking nuts and spend the $43 on some new standard ones.

Makes sense. I've heard the method mechanics use is just pound a regular chrome socket on that's bit smaller, but then again I think mechanics have a universal key for every brand vehicle.
Mostly just pound on a socket. There is no "universal key for every brand." McGard makes most of the locking sets for the manufacturer accessory kits. They do have assortments, but a shop would have to have an assortment for each manufacturer of vehicle.

After you get them removed get rid of them and install non keyed style. If someone should steal them, call your insurance company. I spent 6 hours of quality time in Wells, Nevada with a flat on I 80 and a misplaced/missing key. Roll back, unsuccesful removal technique at tire shop finally resolved when they broke out a stick welder and nut to weld on to the crap wheel lock.Never again! First order of business with new cars? Wheel lock disposal. Wells Nevada! excitement city!

Last edited:
If the locks have the external slip ring they will be a challenge (even with the tools) if they are on really tight.

Well, you already kissed your key goodbye, reap what you sow.
This is why I don't bother helping people with flats. Too many things have to come into play for me to be able to do anything. Do you have a spare? Does it have air in it? Do you have a jack? Do you have the key to your locking lugs??? Lol it's a joke.

This is why I don't bother helping people with flats. Too many things have to come into play for me to be able to do anything. Do you have a spare? Does it have air in it? Do you have a jack? Do you have the key to your locking lugs??? Lol it's a joke.
Truth!

You can buy sets with sockets that will fit most wheel locks. I gave up on putting on wheel locks about 15 years ago.

Where are you supposed to keep the key for the locking lugs? Next to the spare? I've never had a vehicle that had them
I find them in usually 3 places on peoples' cars - the glove box, in the spare tire well with the tire and (where I like best!) in the cup holder ready for me lol

You can buy sets with sockets that will fit most wheel locks. I gave up on putting on wheel locks about 15 years ago.
Same here - no wheel locks. Too much hassle and the thieves already have the keys to remove then anyhow. I also like having equal torque on all lugnuts, with a lock you have to reduce torque some in many cases.

Back