Dealer Parts

Was getting work done at the dealer and picked up engine and cabin filter. Parts guy told me they'd jumped in price recently. $35 each. When I got home I Googled Subaru parts and could get them for about $25 each and shipped to my house for $70. Oddly, I could "pick up in store" at the store I was just at for $48.

After a lot of stuttering on the phone he refunded me $24 on my credit card.

Man, someone always taking advantage of people. Gross.

Was getting work done at the dealer and picked up engine and cabin filter. Parts guy told me they'd jumped in price recently. $35 each. When I got home I Googled Subaru parts and could get them for about $25 each and shipped to my house for $70. Oddly, I could "pick up in store" at the store I was just at for $48.

how long before the old, tired excuses of "supply chain" or pandemic is used to explain the price hikes.. price gouging is getting a little old.. oh wait, they didn't get to say inflation too! Funny how you got a price reduction when you caught them! good for you! (y)

how long before the old, tired excuses of "supply chain" or pandemic is used to explain the price hikes.. price gouging is getting a little old.. oh wait, they didn't get to say inflation too! Funny how you got a price reduction when you caught them! good for you! (y)
The excuse through stammering and stuttering was, "Oh, yeah, we do have online prices to compete with places like Amazon." Oddly, the Subaru Parts website links to your nearest dealer and gives the same prices. So, it's like, "uh...shutup." First time I've felt fully fleeced by this dealer. At least the work was reasonably priced (compared to independent shops that strip my differential drain plugs).

This is very common these days. I don't understand it but there are apparently differing rules and regulations regarding internet commerce. My local BMW dealer sells wholesale to the public IF you order on-line. I live 9 miles away so I buy most of my BMW parts from them because they're cheaper than other places selling OES parts and I can pick them up in an hour. I compare with places like FCP and ECS and the dealer is generally cheaper on everything I use.

It has something to do with prepaying for orders and possibly the labor involved to fulfill the order. I have no explanation but I'll enjoy the discount all day long.

The excuse through stammering and stuttering was, "Oh, yeah, we do have online prices to compete with places like Amazon." Oddly, the Subaru Parts website links to your nearest dealer and gives the same prices. So, it's like, "uh...shutup." First time I've felt fully fleeced by this dealer. At least the work was reasonably priced (compared to independent shops that strip my differential drain plugs).
At least you got decent service and got the right price! That's a rule lately, keep an eye on the prices they're charging!

I was going to a Honda dealer who was giving awesome discounts (matching online dealers) then they raised the retail prices something around 20% higher than Honda's list price, then offered me a 10% discount.. Um, no thanks. I now get my parts from other dealers.

This is very common these days. I don't understand it but there are apparently differing rules and regulations regarding internet commerce. My local BMW dealer sells wholesale to the public IF you order on-line. I live 9 miles away so I buy most of my BMW parts from them because they're cheaper than other places selling OES parts and I can pick them up in an hour. I compare with places like FCP and ECS and the dealer is generally cheaper on everything I use.

It has something to do with prepaying for orders and possibly the labor involved to fulfill the order. I have no explanation but I'll enjoy the discount all day long.
Yeah, I don't mind paying a little more for OEM. I've had trouble with various brands not fitting well into the cabin compartment and engine filter housing. But to almost charge double because I didn't order online and pickup...??? Silly. Not a great way to keep a customer happy. When he didn't give any issue refunding, I went back to neutral. They made it right, so I can't complain too much. I'll just remember to order online next time.

Redline became a "Price Gouger" with a $5.00 a Qt price increase, where I think Amsoil only increased $2.00ish. They lost me on engine oil and "maybe " on everything.

I buy my OEM Hyundai parts from "discount Hyundai online stores. But most are bought from "discount Kia online stores after I get the correct part# on the Hyundai sites. Kia parts are 10% to 15% cheaper when they put the same part into a box.

Seriously? Where have you been for the last 100 years? And haven't you read many of the posting on here? The dealerships only reason for existence to take advantage of people.

At my dealership the parts guy has a button he can hit to raise the price by 10% they done that for the customers that come in and are jerks like the guy who threw the wiper blade at our parts guy because we don’t sell wiper blade refills. He can use it anytime. Also can discount by 10% too. I can’t remember what they call it when they raise it they have a special name they say in front of the customers lol.

It's called suggested retail price.

Buyer beware...it is very rare these days that I buy anything not already knowing who sells it for the cheapest price. This is in part due to the interweb and all of the easily available info on it and if I can avoid having to drive anywhere I will and so the internet is the first place I look. There is a lot of money to be saved if you know where to look - especially with vehicles.

At my dealership the parts guy has a button he can hit to raise the price by 10% they done that for the customers that come in and are jerks like the guy who threw the wiper blade at our parts guy because we don’t sell wiper blade refills. He can use it anytime. Also can discount by 10% too. I can’t remember what they call it when they raise it they have a special name they say in front of the customers lol.
Yup. Want to come to my business and be a jerk but not quite enough to get you kicked out? Cool, I'll add 10, 20, 30% onto the bill and I have special code words too. Most of the time I charge PITAs out of my business without ever having to kick them out. When they say, "Wow, that's expensive", I reply without hesitation, "Yup, I'm not cheap but you get what you pay for here." Ok...I never talk about money, my administrative staff says it.

It's called suggested retail price.
Except it's not suggested if you purchase online and pick up in store. It's the actual price. But if you go to the store and buy, they're each $10-12 more than if you buy at home and then drive to get them. It's silliness, is what it is.

They could always charge retail for parts and increase the hourly labor rate, or maybe shop fees to make up the difference. They are running a business and operate for a profit. DIY is always cheaper.

Back