Consumer Reports 2021 Least Reliable Trucks - GM Dominates?

I think quality is dropping across the board. I am leery of anything run by Fiat, but people seem to be happy with the new Rams? I have had Ford F-150s for years and I think their quality is dropping a little too.

That 8-speed has been causing the Colorado & Canyon owners a lot of headaches. My mother-in-law's 2015 Silverado lost 1st and 2nd gear in the last month. She got it fixed, it still acted strange, so she traded it for an F-150 this weekend. Ecoboost and ten-speed goodness. GM should think about paring down their transmission options, and concentrate on making fewer work well. I can't imagine why they think they need 3.

That 8-speed has been causing the Colorado & Canyon owners a lot of headaches. My mother-in-law's 2015 Silverado lost 1st and 2nd gear in the last month. She got it fixed, it still acted strange, so she traded it for an F-150 this weekend. Ecoboost and ten-speed goodness. GM should think about paring down their transmission options, and concentrate on making fewer work well. I can't imagine why they think they need 3.
The fuel saved over a lock up 4 speed over the life of the vehicle will never pay for the decrease in reliability and final repair cost.

Rod

GM and Ford were paired up working on a transmission together. I think they developed a 9 speed and then they must have split off and GM did an 8 speed and Ford did a 10 speed. I have the 10 speed and I don't mind it. Is is a little loud at low speed though.

GM and Ford were paired up working on a transmission together. I think they developed a 9 speed and then they must have split off and GM did an 8 speed and Ford did a 10 speed. I have the 10 speed and I don't mind it. Is is a little loud at low speed though.
They co-developed the 10-speed that you find in the Silverado, F-150, and Mustang.

From what I understand GM and Ford developed the 10 speed together.

One of their trucks received a 13 out of 100 score. Yikes. You have to look into what is driving these numbers though. For example, Jeep is known to be an unreliable brand, but look at what they're subjected to and look at what fails. It's usually small things that go wrong that can impact these scores. The Jeep 3.6 and automatic are bulletproof.

I'm not saying that is the case with GM, as I know that 8 speed automatic is an issue and what gives me hesitation from getting the ZR2. I'm not familiar with their other trucks that appear to have reliability issues. A 13 out of a 100 though?

I think quality is dropping across the board. I am leery of anything run by Fiat, but people seem to be happy with the new Rams? I have had Ford F-150s for years and I think their quality is dropping a little too.
Each of the big 3 trucks have their reliability sore spots. I am not convinced that one brand is significantly better than the other; they seem to be fairly similar in that area.

Each of the big 3 trucks have their reliability sore spots. I am not convinced that one brand is significantly better than the other; they seem to be fairly similar in that area.

I've noticed that as well, they all have their weaknesses. That includes imports as well. Especially European cars.

The Japanese brands though don't seem to have "severe" quality issues though. Even the Tacoma, which drives like garbage, is still reliable. Compare that to the Chevy Colorado and you're dealing with a potentially problematic automatic that shudders, despite the new fluid change.

+1

It's across the board, and part of the equation when innovation is the priority. New tech/features/designs and emissions standards are the driving force that sells new vehicles now. Yeah a 9-speed transmission that has more complexity and doesn't feel as great from a driving standpoint might not be the best option long-term, but they can market the fuel economy and acceleration improvements over last year's model.

Back