Consumer Reports 2021 Least Reliable Trucks - GM Dominates?

A recently retired GM engineer said to stay away from that 8spd unit. He said it was garbage and GM knew it and was trying to band aid it with the fluid change.
Is this a friend of yours? Or a friend of a third cousin? OR-an "Internet Expert"? Because owners are saying the problems do go away with the fluid change in many instances.

Is this a friend of yours? Or a friend of a third cousin? OR-an "Internet Expert"? Because owners are saying the problems do go away with the fluid change in many instances.
Let me see if I can find it. You can be the judge of that.

"Yes, I think you're correct. *I* think, and others do as well, at the risk of being cynical, that GM is simply appeasing owners until their trucks are out of warranty and no longer their problem to deal with. When you have a few minutes, read the posts on this internet forum written by "OldChevyNut" - https://bit.ly/2KWDYPk . He has some scathing comments about the automatic transmission, and he sounds like he knows what he's talking about, and the fact that there is currently a class-action lawsuit regarding the GM 8L90 and 8L45 Transmission Problems were too much for *me* to ignore. - https://bit.ly/2VelttR Ed"

"It is well known, and even acknowledged by GM, that the problems with this transmission cannot be fixed. Therefore, as soon as possible and with as few miles on the vehicle as possible, take it back to a dealer and request the defect be repaired. Do this several times, keeping all records of when, where, action taken (even if none), any advice or comments made by dealer persons, and if possible, record everything on video with sound. Remember it's not the dealers fault you bought a vehicle with a problem that cannot be fixed by any means, but the dealer is the one that's stuck with trying to fix it. Obtain all the information you can find on this problem, and even similar problems in other models (because the same transmission is used in multiple other vehicles), obtain all applicable GM TCB's (such as TCB 18-NA-177 and TCB 18-NA-355) that have any bearing on the problem, and then after a "reasonable number" of repair attempts apply for Arbitration according to the requirements applicable in your state. In Arbitration, which is free to the vehicle purchaser, present all evidence regarding nature of the problem, past history and the manufacturers inability to correct these serious defects, evidence that the issue exists in the vehicle you purchased, and the history of repeated attempts by dealer(s) to fix the problem but that the problem still exists. When is all is said and done, you may be given a refund of the vehicle purchase price, a replacement vehicle having the same configuration and options, a decision to return to a dealer for further repair attempts, or no other action or remedy. In the case of the 8L45 / 8L90 transmission issues, arbitration in many states has already ordered refunds and replacement vehicles, as the problems with this model transmission have been around for so long and are so well documented. In any event, Good Luck."

Last edited:
"Update After a trans flush appointment and a reprogram appointment (now I have a shift flare between 2-3-4) (I did have convertor replaced first) The shudder is still there along with rpms fluctuating 2-300 rpms. dealer was in touch with TAC and the reply was "no further repairs available" Just filed with BBB. Its a shame could be a nice truck. "

It's a POS. GM knows it too.

I love the ZR2, but nothing could be worse than knowing it has a very big weakness in the automatic transmission. It would force me to go the Duramax route instead, which uses the 6spd.

"It is well known, and even acknowledged by GM, that the problems with this transmission cannot be fixed. Therefore, as soon as possible and with as few miles on the vehicle as possible, take it back to a dealer and request the defect be repaired. Do this several times, keeping all records of when, where, action taken (even if none), any advice or comments made by dealer persons, and if possible, record everything on video with sound. Remember it's not the dealers fault you bought a vehicle with a problem that cannot be fixed by any means, but the dealer is the one that's stuck with trying to fix it. Obtain all the information you can find on this problem, and even similar problems in other models (because the same transmission is used in multiple other vehicles), obtain all applicable GM TCB's (such as TCB 18-NA-177 and TCB 18-NA-355) that have any bearing on the problem, and then after a "reasonable number" of repair attempts apply for Arbitration according to the requirements applicable in your state. In Arbitration, which is free to the vehicle purchaser, present all evidence regarding nature of the problem, past history and the manufacturers inability to correct these serious defects, evidence that the issue exists in the vehicle you purchased, and the history of repeated attempts by dealer(s) to fix the problem but that the problem still exists. When is all is said and done, you may be given a refund of the vehicle purchase price, a replacement vehicle having the same configuration and options, a decision to return to a dealer for further repair attempts, or no other action or remedy. In the case of the 8L45 / 8L90 transmission issues, arbitration in many states has already ordered refunds and replacement vehicles, as the problems with this model transmission have been around for so long and are so well documented. In any event, Good Luck."
Right-and in the same thread somebody else says he is not having issues. Sorry-the information you provided is about as credible as some provided here and elsewhere. I'm not going back and forth on this issue.

Right-and in the same thread somebody else says he is not having issues. Sorry-the information you provided is about as credible as some provided here and elsewhere. I'm not going back and forth on this issue.
And yours is any better? LOL

Interesting the I4 gasser also runs the 6 speed.
The ZR2 I almost bought was a Bison DMax …

Bison with DMax is awesome. Chevy trucks are good, it's just a shame the 8speed has had issues. But again, some don't have any problems. Luck of the draw I guess.

I've noticed that as well, they all have their weaknesses. That includes imports as well. Especially European cars.

The Japanese brands though don't seem to have "severe" quality issues though. Even the Tacoma, which drives like garbage, is still reliable. Compare that to the Chevy Colorado and you're dealing with a potentially problematic automatic that shudders, despite the new fluid change.
I've put 40,000 miles on my 2017 V6 8 speed Canyon since the switch to the Mobil 1 blue label ATF switch and the shudder has not returned. The only other problem I've had in 70,000 miles is a whacky infotainment touch screen. I am very happy with the truck.

I've put 40,000 miles on my 2017 V6 8 speed Canyon since the switch to the Mobil 1 blue label ATF switch and the shudder has not returned. The only other problem I've had in 70,000 miles is a whacky infotainment touch screen. I am very happy with the truck.

That is great, glad it worked for you. It seems to be hit or miss.

I think quality is dropping across the board. I am leery of anything run by Fiat, but people seem to be happy with the new Rams? I have had Ford F-150s for years and I think their quality is dropping a little too.
My Fiat Jeep Wrangler has been perfect over 3 years, 42k miles, and lots of hard off-roading. They've made the best Jeep yet.

My brother leased a 2020 GMC Sierra with the I-4 turbo gas engine in it. The transmission grenaded itself at about 5k miles. GM sent engineers from the factory to investigate what caused it. I can't recall which transmission it had, probably whatever one comes standard with the I4.

I did get a chance to drive the truck after it had a new transmission and I had no complaints. The 4cyl engine is adequate, it feels a little "off" for a truck though, hard to describe. If you watch the tach, it definitely spends more time at higher RPM during regular driving than any V8 truck engine I've driven. Has a bit of coarseness to it, and of course it's missing the V8 sound.

Back