Castrol edge EP - now claims 25K OCI

Stuff like this drives me crazy - they give a warranty tied to a 25,000 mile oil and then state that the warranty is void if you don't follow the manufacturer's vehicle maintenance schedule:

Quote "It does not cover claims that are the result of collision, negligent or intentional abuse, improper service or maintenance,"
Unquote.

So which is it? Follow the OEM recommendations and change your oil at a reasonable interval or follow their ridiculous recommendation and void both your vehicles warranty AND the Castrol warranty? This stuff makes no sense. The marketers are working overtime on this stuff.
It’s not the oil companies. It’s the Liberal EPA. I don’t even run past 5k miles.

Where is the spec/approval list?

Found it:

Edit:
UK site, not a word about any mileage guarantee. I think Castrol U.S marketing takes you all for fools :p
Same exact PDS as Euro Castrol Edge 0W20 C5.
Mercedes runs up to 12.5k/20.000km on MB229.71 would not go over that.

Last edited:
The 20K+ mile oil claims probably are a result of engine lab testing under some controlled condition for a MPFI engine (no GDI engines) .
That’s always the case with all of the extended numbers they give us for oils and filters though. It pretty much needs to be ideal driving conditions and a clean engine that is super easy on the oil. But at least we know that these oils can go longer than other oils and that it would be a waste of money to use them for a 3-5k interval

That’s always the case with all of the extended numbers they give us for oils and filters though. It pretty much needs to be ideal driving conditions and a clean engine that is super easy on the oil. But at least we know that these oils can go longer than other oils and that it would be a waste of money to use them for a 3-5k interval
I’ve been getting M1 5W30 EP at WM for $26 . Even if only run it for a 5K mile OCI (mixed driving short trip to interstate driving) - it’s still only $2 to $3 more than standard M1 vanella 5W30 , so why not ?

I'd still like to know why Castrol EP was taken off the shelves.
It was not taken off the shelves (that I know of). There was no recall.
The formulation changed and the label changed. Supply shortage(s) is the likely culprit why EP has failed to show up currently on shelves, in a vast majority of the 48.

I removed the Castrol Euro product from my Signature below. Our Kia is once again on a oil consumption campaign with it (5w40). I'll know more in about two more months of the OCI.

What's bizarre is the Castrol quieted the engine chatter. But the louder chatter Quaker State and Amsoil produced zero consumption. So did the Mobil-1 EP Triple Action 10w30 prior to those-2.

We should never over-think what might be best for our engines. I had no business discontinuing the quiet-running Mobil-1 EP Triple Action 10w30 in the first place. It'll be interesting to see how the Kia handles HPL this Fall. This 2.0 MPI engine is a perfect candidate to gauge how well the HPL oils really are.

It is kind of crazy on the oil companies interest if we think about it.... Why does a company based on volume sales want to encourage the customers to use LESS of the product they are needing to sell for profit!? What on earth is coming next? "New and greatly improved! LIFETIME oil for your engine!"

25K wow, not for the faint of heart. I'd pass.
In reality very few people have the driving habits that allow this. But in the rare case of someone who owns a car that is very easy on the oil and they are using it for something like medical delivery, I can see 25k being very possible. Those people who do that will often do 1500 miles a week and it’s pretty much all highway driving. I know of a couple of people who do that on some of the Facebook groups I’m in. These guys never do 3k oil changes, who wants to do an oil change every two weeks? 😵‍💫

In reality very few people have the driving habits that allow this. But in the rare case of someone who owns a car that is very easy on the oil and they are using it for something like medical delivery, I can see 25k being very possible. Those people who do that will often do 1500 miles a week and it’s pretty much all highway driving. I know of a couple of people who do that on some of the Facebook groups I’m in. These guys never do 3k oil changes, who wants to do an oil change every two weeks? 😵‍💫
True, but I'd get a few UOAs to be sure. An OCI like that can get a person in a lot of trouble going on blind faith, or what he reads on a forum.

True, but I'd get a few UOAs to be sure. An OCI like that can get a person in a lot of trouble going on blind faith, or what he reads on a forum.
Oh absolutely they should do a UOA. I would never ever recommend to go beyond 15k without a UOA.

We are living in End Days. Inflation will never go away again. It'll only get worse & worse over the next several years.

Soon, the average vehicle will be 20 years old. Prices on goods and food will double, then triple - then quadruple in price. 20k OCIs will become the norm, because earnings won;t keep up with inflation. Road Commissions are preparing for it. Just look at all the bicycle paths being implemented on our roads. Now may be a good time to invest in bicycles and Mopeds. Sales will go thru the roof soon and no new earth-born Ruler is going to return the economy to to pre-Covid years.

Back