Castrol EDGE 0W-40 SP? I found it on the Castrol site but no where for sale. Anyone ever seen it anywhere?

How is it better without Porsche A40, VW 502/505, or MB-approval 229.5?

No thanks.
This is a full SAPS 0W40, which is very unusual for something with API SP.

The only market for a non-euro 0W-40 would be for FCA/Stellantis applications, yet they are lacking the FCA spec. Very weird.

That phosphorous cap of 800ppm with SP is interesting. More of a mid saps now like PP euro 0w-40 SP.

Yeah I am just curious, I am sure the difference for me would be negligible. I have a BMW N55 with an upgraded turbo, E50 tune, water/meth injection, etc. and I change the oil (Edge Euro 0W-40) every 3k. But I have seen that SP rated oils are better for LSPI, etc. on direct injected engines.

Don't know about you folks....Its kind of hard to locate any oils in normal stock around me in the 0w30 or 0w40 grades. Is it cause those are not fast sellers? There are every other imaginable types and grades of oils to chose from in Walmarts and auto parts stores yet those are rare on shelves. I think the last Walmart auto section I visited had only one offering of 0w___ oils and it was 0w30 M1 (it had a designated) location on the shelves yet no other 0w30 or 0w40...

Yeah I am just curious, I am sure the difference for me would be negligible. I have a BMW N55 with an upgraded turbo, E50 tune, water/meth injection, etc. and I change the oil (Edge Euro 0W-40) every 3k. But I have seen that SP rated oils are better for LSPI, etc. on direct injected engines.
Your engine is at risk of LSPI?

Don't know about you folks....Its kind of hard to locate any oils in normal stock around me in the 0w30 or 0w40 grades. Is it cause those are not fast sellers? There are every other imaginable types and grades of oils to chose from in Walmarts and auto parts stores yet those are rare on shelves. I think the last Walmart auto section I visited had only one offering of 0w___ oils and it was 0w30 M1 (it had a designated) location on the shelves yet no other 0w30 or 0w40...
Amazon always has it, I get Castrol on a subscription from Amazon for $22-$25 for 5 quart jugs

Well they better not “experience” it.
I am pretty sure they all do, how many pre ignition events occur or how severe varies I guess and there is an ASTM test done that documents these pre ignition events. Although this is more of a concern on on smaller direct injection turbo engines so it may be a non issue on my 3.0L inline 6.

I am pretty sure they all do, how many pre ignition events occur or how severe varies I guess and there is an ASTM test done that documents these pre ignition events. Although this is more of a concern on on smaller direct injection turbo engines so it may be a non issue on my 3.0L inline 6.
An LSPI event is generally catastrophic. Not always but usually.

Don't know about you folks....Its kind of hard to locate any oils in normal stock around me in the 0w30 or 0w40 grades.
Likely because very few automobiles specify it. Someone will list the models that do but I'm talking about the run-of-the-mill Toyota Camry, Ford F-150, Chrysler mini-vans, and so on.... Stores, especially ones like Walmart, stock products that move/sell every day and aren't targeting the occasional M-B, Porsche, etc buyer who also happens to do his/her own oil changes.

Yeah I’ve seen those tests and yes there are those mini ones as you note. But a full-fledged LSPI event that an owner would notice results in damage like in that picture, or worse. It was just that I didn’t think European engines were one of the suspects. I’ve been using VW 504 00 oil in my Tiguan, should I be worried?

Back