Castrol EDGE 5W-40 M vs Castrol EDGE 5W-30 M

which one has better specs ,approvals e.t.c.?

to add ..there is also a 0-30 sold in greece but its not the same with the one in castrol s region site..i am really confuse with the 0-30..here are thw links..
from official castrol site..

and from the shop..
without vw and bmw ll04 specs.
vould this be a stock old one?

Last edited:
The Castrol Edge 0w-30 C3 a really good oil. What car do you own?
bmw e87, n43 1600 cc..remember me from that topic...

motul 8100 vs castrol new edge M​

you answered me to choose castrol edge 5-30 M..you think 0-30 is better? is it the one that US fellows like?

searched more in the internet and found out that these two 0-30 are the same oil but it seems that from the end of 2018 lost VW and BMW approvals. maybe it has been reformulated.specs are the same though.

Last edited:
bmw e87, n43 1600 cc..remember me from that topic...

motul 8100 vs castrol new edge M​

you answered me to choose castrol edge 5-30 M..you think 0-30 is better? is it the one that US fellows like?

searched more in the internet and found out that these two 0-30 are the same oil but it seems that from the end of 2018 lost VW and BMW approvals. maybe it has been reformulated.specs are the same though.
They are not the same oils.
0W30 in Europe is C3.
0W30 here is A3.
Any of those oils you chose will be fine!

thank you for your answer.from what i have read in bitog, ;) ,and specially from your lips," 0-30 is more sofisticated" . i have good memory:)

and with a synthetic base ,better oil base with pao , than the 5-30 which has no synthetic pao base just oil group 3 hydrocracked..

I use C3 in my Mercedes Bluetec. C-3 and LL are the best bang for the buck as far as 229.51.
FST has MB 229.51 and BMW Longlife-04 approval.
M is MB 229.52 and BMW Longlife-04 approved.
If looking for oxidative thickening resistance and improved fuel economy, M is "better" on paper.
If you need MBW approval, FST or M have it.

Back