BMW LL04 and LL12FE in Australia with high sulphur content in fuel?

The B-series was always approved for LL01/LL04 down to LL17fe. Choices were made based on local markets and fuels.

In the US BMW has been using LL01fe or LL17fe for B-series engines since 2018 or so. The US moved to ULSG in 2020.

IIRC Australia is going ULSG at end of 2024.
Now it seems clear that the BMW Australia response is based on their SB that if the B series engines do not have GPF, note 1 applies so that LL04, LL12FE and LL17FE+ should not be used outside EU .
I double checked my B48 engine, couldn't find the SA1DEA RDE option in the VIN decode reading. I neither could find the vacuum hose on the catalytic converter. Apparently, for B48, the GPF is integrated together with the catalytic converter, differentiated by having or not a vacuum hose and part numbers.

Now it seems clear that the BMW Australia response is based on their SB that if the B series engines do not have GPF, note 1 applies so that LL04, LL12FE and LL17FE+ should not be used outside EU .
I double checked my B48 engine, couldn't find the SA1DEA RDE option in the VIN decode reading. I neither could find the vacuum hose on the catalytic converter. Apparently, for B48, the GPF is integrated together with the catalytic converter, differentiated by having or not a vacuum hose and part numbers.
Ya. Times are changing.. I was reading that US models are going to start getting OPF

As I posted earlier, no BMW is equipped with GPF in Australia. In December 2025 (i think that is what is said in paper I posted) AUS will move to 10ppm gas. That might be time when BMW moves to GPF in AUS.

My understanding is that AUS moves to ULSG in 12/2024.

I'm any case LL01 would be "okay".
But we are not at ULSG (ultra low sulphur petrol) yet, and that date has beefed pushed back before, and will probably be pushed back again.

OP, Australia has some of the worst fuel quality in the developed world, you are caught between a rock and a hard place. High SAPS (BMW LL-01) is the correct choice for our fuel but the wrong choice for your car's emission system. Low/mid SAPS (BMW LL-04) is the correct choice for your car's emissions system, but the wrong choice for our local fuel.

First, only run Premium unleaded, as it has the lowest sulphur content in Australia.
Second, you could run LL-04 but change it frequently, say every 10,000 km (6k miles), or less.

Me, I would run LL-01, but I'm happy to go against the book, and wear the consequences (often none).

Last edited:
Q1)What makes you suspect BMW Australia have recommended the wrong oil?

Q2)And historically emissions requirements in Australia seem to be very similar to those in Europe.
A1) Because none of the local corporate bosses understand oil or have the fortitude to go against the mothership.

A2) No they are not! We are always years behind Europe.

Back