BMW LL04 and LL12FE in Australia with high sulphur content in fuel?

Their fuel quality is way behind that of other developed countries.
Fuel quality is irrelevant I was talking about if a GPF is fitted.

If it is then LL04 is the correct oil choice, not LL01

And since BMW Australia say use LL04 I would say they have GPFs

Online sources suggest Australian market BMWs have had GPFs since around the same time as UK/EU vehicles

As DJ Khalid would say

“Another one”

This article specifically addresses the subject of GPFs in Australian market cars.

And despite people focussed on sulphur content rather than vehicle specification it would appear that the OP will have a GPF

Fuel quality is irrelevant I was talking about if a GPF is fitted.

If it is then LL04 is the correct oil choice, not LL01

And since BMW Australia say use LL04 I would say they have GPFs

Online sources suggest Australian market BMWs have had GPFs since around the same time as UK/EU vehicles

BMW uses LL04 in EU since 2009 in gasoline engines, but they were not equipped with GPF. Until few years back.

As DJ Khalid would say

“Another one”

This article specifically addresses the subject of GPFs in Australian market cars.

And despite people focussed on sulphur content rather than vehicle specification it would appear that the OP will have a GPF
Nothing says in that article that his car has GPF!

The definitive way would be to decode OP's VIN and see if it has option S1DEA. Would be weird for BMW to recommend LL04 if it didn't have a GPF

The definitive way would be to decode OP's VIN and see if it has option S1DEA.

Would be weird for BMW to recommend LL04 if it didn't have a GPF

.... outside of Europe. Virtually no BMW runs LL-01 or LL-01 FE in Europe since mid 2000s.

Nothing says in that article that his car has GPF!
Nothing says in the article that it doesn’t

But BMW say his vehicles is specced for LL04 which would make me suspect that it has a GPF.

Why do you think BMW have not specced it with LL01?

I think it’s because it’s got a GPF

Looking forward to your opinion

.... outside of Europe. Virtually no BMW runs LL-01 or LL-01 FE in Europe since mid 2000s.

A
Here you go guys, wasn’t hard:
But BMW Australia spec LL04 and not LL01

Have you advised BMW Australia of their mistake yet?

As they should clearly be running the same oil specs a the USA.

0W12 isn’t it for the newer models?

But BMW say his vehicles is specced for LL04 which would make me suspect that it has a GPF.

I already posted BMW statement that BMW CARS IN AUSTRALIA DO NOT HAVE GPF!!!
It is not anyone’s opinion! They just DO NOT HAVE IT.
Maybe they use LL04 bcs. they also require 95 gas which is 50ppm. Maybe they use it because someone has love affair with LL04 oils. I don’t know why. Only thing that we do know is that BMW ENGINES DO NOT HAVE GPF in Australia.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think you will find they don’t copy the USA.

They do use Euro emissions standards.

Having adopted Euro 6 for diesels at the same time as the UK/EU
Yes they do follow US standards. They use ASTM to determine measurements. So, they do, like pretty much all countries. If you think somehow Euro norms were tougher, they were not. Otherwise, VW Dieselgate would never have happened.
They don't follow EU6. To follow EU6 they would have to have ALL fuels and emissions at EU6 standards. But they don't. They pick and choose what fits them politically and logistically. EU6 is a comprehensive standard. Just because their diesel is 10ppm, does not mean they immediately follow EU6. They don't use WLTP etc. If you READ what I posted from their government, you would see that they also have their OWN standards called NVES.

A

But BMW Australia spec LL04 and not LL01

Have you advised BMW Australia of their mistake yet?

As they should clearly be running the same oil specs a the USA.

0W12 isn’t it for the newer models?
As mentioned NUMEROUS times, all engines can use thicker oil. Since Australia does not follow Euro 6 norms, they do not have WLTP. There is no benefit to using 0W12 when it does not provide the same protection as LL04. The ONLY reason why 0W12 is used is to gain efficiency so they can 1. put a sticker on the window with lower consumption, 2. be in compliance with WLTP or CAFE.
But, if they can avoid that, as is the case here, engineers choose thicker oil.

Minimize intake valve deposits.

Iirc catalytic converters became more efficient or required an increase in longevity back 2009 which is why at the time BMW said LL04 was for ultra low sulfur fuels with DPF or TWC (Three Way Catalyst).

Back