BMW B58 0W-12?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I went and checked Castrol web site, and holy moly, did they ramp up their Euro lineup.

But it shows that Euro 0W20 approvals really complicated stuff. Currently, Castrol runs three (3) different 0W20 oils, VW508.00/509.00 probably being the most demanding considering that it has up to 50% PAO (BMW LL17FE+ is around 10%, while MB229.71 is slapped on regular Edge Extended Performance). This is a good example of how stringent European approvals are, as it seems there is a struggle to make on 0W20 that is approved for ALL European approvals for that grade.

Also, they now offer 0W30 LL (VW504.00/507.00, LL04, MB229.51) with up to 25% PAO.
I tried to see who sells 0W30 LL and could not find anything.

Looking at the manual online for the 2023 X7....

1675575007743.jpg

Looks like it's a new German thing to have confusing oil requirements, pioneered by VW.

So the manual for my new 2023 X7 (B58) shows this spec for the oil:

View attachment 121594

But under the hood there is this sticker????

View attachment 121591

Any ideas as to what is going on?
When you have your first oil change done, make sure to capture a sample and send it in for a UOA. If it turns out to be an SAE 12 weight oil, you will know whether to go with the sticker or the manual. Also, please post the UOA here on BITOG. There should be a lot of interest.

When you have your first oil change done, make sure to capture a sample and send it in for a UOA. If it turns out to be an SAE 12 weight oil, you will know whether to go with the sticker or the manual. Also, please post the UOA here on BITOG. There should be a lot of interest.
Haggis seems to have left the grounds.

If I ever get B58, only time it would see 0W12, is that sticker at front.
Not a fan of an oil as thin as 0w12, I am sure it will be a great oil.

But the B58 is also specced for LL04 and 5w40.

Which I shall be putting in when I do an oil change.

I suspect BMW use 0w30 or 5w30 of some kind

Will find out when my 745Le goes in for a service later this month

I’ll put it to you like this. At the BMW store I work at we don’t even carry TPT 0w20. Parts only order TPT 0w30. We pretty much put that in everything except the engines that needs full saps.

But the question is, is the B58TU2 spec'd for LL04/5w40 in Europe?

Straight from the owner's manual in the US, the TU2 is not spec'd for LL04/5w40

Not sure what engine is in my car.

When I did the Vin decoder it said it had a B58X

There are no later engines in the 745Le that I am aware.

Mine is a 21 model year and they never made any 7 Series during Covid.

Even the 72 plates that have just been registered as new are 21 model year as they appeared to have stopped production for the UK and moved on to the new i7

Mercedes did the same for the V Class, they stopped all diesel production for over a year

BMWNA won't spec any new car for LL04 because it goes against their official FE numbers. This has been the case going back to 2015. In any case the only lubricant related update the TU2 received is that the VANOS system adjusts electronically rather than using oil pressure and the drivetrain has a hybrid boost feature. Hybrid boost allows the use of thinner oil?

Last edited:
BMWNA won't spec any new car for LL04 because it goes against their official FE numbers. This has been the case going back to 2015. In any case the only lubricant related update the TU2 received is that the VANOS system adjusts electronically rather than using oil pressure and the drivetrain has a hybrid boost feature. Hybrid boost allows the use of thinner oil?
I am wondering about that oil pressure and what happens when one takes a car to the track and sees temperatures above 250-260f.
Not that I would use ever that oil, but.,...

I am wondering about that oil pressure and what happens when one takes a car to the track and sees temperatures above 250-260f.
Not that I would use ever that oil, but.,...
If Porsche ever adops it then we’ll see if they drop the Nordschleife test from “C12”.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back