Attacked by Dog Yesterday While Bike Riding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pepper spray or mace. I was bit by a dog last year when I worked at a dog daycare. (the place was NOT run properly and that is why I was bit. They would put 100+ dogs in a room together with 2-3 people watching them. They would also put dogs in there that all they would do all day was annoy other dogs.) It was a pretty bad feeling as the dog bit down and shook my hand... I ended up having to go right into the doctor who then put me on antibiotics. My right hand was pretty bad for a while and had deep tears and punctures. I still have some pretty bad scars. Needless to say I quit the job after that!

Kind of off topic, but please don't EVER take your dog to a dog daycare!! You wouldn't believe the things that go on behind the doors.

Here is some wisdom...

When I ride my bike and come across a "chaser" or a growler. The FIRST thing I do, is GET OFF THE BIKE! You simply walk your bike past the residence, keeping the bike between you and the animal.

Also don't make eye contact, or show your teeth. Talk cutesy. I also carry a water pistol.

When dogs start chasing bikes, you BETTER be sure you can out run that dog! If not, terrible things will happen, like running over the dog, flipping the bike, breaking bones, or bitten ankle.

Last edited:
Why not bring a lawsuit against the dog owner?
Affect his finances. That might change his attitude.
A gun could be a messy situation
Henry.

I agree forget the gun because if the dogs owner is anything like most people if you shoot his dog he may say you were shooting at him and that is why he blasted you..
Bear mace will stop that dog in its tracks.

I had a dog come after me once while I was jogging. The owner came out and tried to apologize. I rejected his apology and told him that if that dumb little dog ever bit my dog, wife, kids or me that the county would be by the following day to put it down. I have zero tolerance for that.

I have not seen that dog outside without a leash since.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Here is some wisdom...

When I ride my bike and come across a "chaser" or a growler. The FIRST thing I do, is GET OFF THE BIKE! You simply walk your bike past the residence, keeping the bike between you and the animal.

Exactly!! Get off the bike, and 99% of the time they won't take it further, if the dog does it needs to be put down...

Quote:
Also don't make eye contact, or show your teeth. Talk cutesy. I also carry a water pistol.

I always make eye contact. And hold it...

Quote:
When dogs start chasing bikes, you BETTER be sure you can out run that dog! If not, terrible things will happen, like running over the dog, flipping the bike, breaking bones, or bitten ankle.

If you feel threatened, you're better off stopping and confronting it and establishing dominance...

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I agree forget the gun because if the dogs owner is anything like most people if you shoot his dog he may say you were shooting at him and that is why he blasted you..
Bear mace will stop that dog in its tracks.

As long as the dog is in the street attacking you, and you have a clear shot if that owner attempts to shoot you as the victim he will be behind bars for a loooonng time.

Don't be shy about killing these dogs, if it happens enough the owners will forced to change their behavior if they don't want a dead dog.

I agree that the OP should file a lawsuit against this owner. I can bet that the dog owner NEVER told john,
"The dog will NEVER approach you on the street again"...why?
Because the owner does not care because he hasn't lost anything of value yet.

Mace or repellent is only a temporary solution to problems like this as it allows the dog to do the same thing again the next day you are in the street. The only solution is to terminate the
problem.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tom slick

I think I'd find a new hill and carry pepper spray.

Why should he "find a new street" to ride on?

It is a public thoroughfare, and it's accessible to ALL citizens without fear of threats by others.

No, the dog owner needs to control his animal or the dog should be terminated when it threatens or attacks a person using the public roadway.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hank55
Why not bring a lawsuit against the dog owner?
Affect his finances. That might change his attitude.
A gun could be a messy situation
Henry.

This is exactly what I would do. The guy's insurance co will jack his rates and they guy will get rid of his dogs. If it matters, I HATE DOGS!!! But I still wouldn't shoot or otherwise hurt one unless I had no real choice.

Back when my son was young we lived a block away from a junk yard. I knew the guy from talking to him but he had 2 identical German shepherds. Well my son was outside playing around (doing what kids do).

Anyways one got to him he started screaming and crying I ran outside and shot it a good 4-5 times. Called the police and explained to them what happened. I knew the dogs so I told them wjho owned them.

Long story short he said the dogs where not violent and that what I did was uncalled for. Tried to press charges.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Originally Posted By: tom slick

I think I'd find a new hill and carry pepper spray.

Why should he "find a new street" to ride on?

It is a public thoroughfare, and it's accessible to ALL citizens without fear of threats by others.

No, the dog owner needs to control his animal or the dog should be terminated when it threatens or attacks a person using the public roadway.

Why do you even believe his story? Obviously this is a false flag operation to erode our freedoms!!!

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
"Y'all ought not to come up here and bother us. That's why we live up here - we don't want to be bothered."

What hillbillies.

No place for violent dogs like this IMO. Sounds like the owner is the issue here though.. With it being a shepherd mix, it sounds like it could have been an exceptional dog. Too bad its wasted.

I am not against guns by any means, but maybe try some pepper spray?

I'm not "against" guns either. You have the right to protect yourself against a feral dog with an [censored] for an owner...

The advice is simply practical. What is quicker? getting off the the bike for a well aimed shot or just spraying in the face of an animal whether seated or standing or whatever?

In any case, if you tried to out run the dog on your bike, what difference would a gun have made? Would you have shot it while cycling in the saddle? really? Are you Dirty Harry Armstrong now?

If the OP had gotten off his bike he likely wouldn't have needed a gun. Dogs attack when they sense weakness, riding away is weakness. So what is the point of one now? To get off your bike and shoot?

Save the bullet for the idiot owner (not really, just kidding)...

Some people love their dogs more than most people i happen to be one of them. If someone shot my dog it would turn bad quick. but on the other hand my dogs don't go after anyone for no reason they are well trained.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Here is some wisdom...

Also don't make eye contact, or show your teeth. Talk cutesy. ...

Exactly, this should work and is recommended by bicyclists since dogs don't see the person on the bike as a person, but as part of the noisy machine they're nervous about.

Since you plan on riding that hill frequently, have you given any thought to going over and making friends with the dog? A short visit or two with the owner in attendance, and some dog treats will probably go a very long way to defusing the situation.

Having owned dogs for many years, IMO the dog that got into it with the one that bit you was telling him it was not cool to do that, in a dog way. Can't say that the owner is or is not encouraging them to be vicious.

Gun? Sorry, not for this situation. Shooting a dog that's protecting its owner and home because you want to ride that hill? Reverse the situation my man...would it be fair for the same to be done to you? (Not saying you're an irresponsible dog owner)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Some people love their dogs more than most people i happen to be one of them. If someone shot my dog it would turn bad quick. but on the other hand my dogs don't go after anyone for no reason they are well trained.

The real question is not whether or not the dog is under your control, and not able to threaten or attack an innocent bystander on a public thoroughfare.

Again some folks are refusing to accept that when a person is on public access thoroughfares it is NOT their private property, and as such they are NOT allowed to decide access or what is the obligation of the bystander, it is the dog owners obligation and legal responsibility to do whatever it takes to prevent their dog from (threatening/attacking/contacting) those on public roads and sidewalks.

Nobody wants to shoot and kill an animal, however if that animal is threatening a person on public roads or sidewalks they have every right to eliminate that threat or attack. Worse if the dog owner retaliates with force, they would be guilty of a
felony.

Last edited:
If you're going to continue riding that hill I'd ask the mod's to delete this thread. You just told us that you know the dog will most likely come at you and that you intend to shoot it. That may seem like you set out intending to kill the dog that bit you.

Justified as it may be, having this thread floating about may not be in your best interest.

Originally Posted By: Kuato

Exactly, this should work and is recommended by bicyclists since dogs don't see the person on the bike as a person, but as part of the noisy machine they're nervous about.

Dogs (mostly) see cyclists as a fast moving predatory threat, not just a "noisy machine." I've seen the most good natured, child loving dogs become aggressive on fast moving cyclists. Often, the dogs think they're protecting the children...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back