What do you do when a dog attacks you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dogs have basic understanding. Don't run or back away because you'll be perceived as prey.

Here's a few unorthodox ways I've dealt with dogs:

Never allow the dog to bite your fingers - always make a fist. If a dog wants to bite you, here's an idea - let him. Put your fist down his throat and grab the back of his head with your other hand. When he chokes, you can decide what to do from there.

If you are a big guy, grab the dog and FALL on him. He can't bite you when you're crushing him. However, you can hurt him with simple elbows to the ribs, kneeling on him with your knee, grabbing his throat, etc.

I was out a couple of weeks ago with my son on our bikes and was charged by a pit bull. He got away from his owner's son and came at us.
Luckily, he didn't have an aggressive demeanor, but we were at least 200 feet from the dog and did nothing to provoke it.

I heard the foot steps behind me and the owner yell to the dog. I quickly stopped and put the bike between me and him. Fortunately, my son was on the other side of me relative to the dog. I sternly yelled at it and motioned for it to go back to the owner, which thankfully it did.

Standing your ground and looking big and threatening is probably the best you can do unless it actually attacks you.

Pepper Spray (Bear Spray)
Less hassle than dealing with a dead or wounded dog, less liability (what happens if your round hits the sidewalk?) Plus you can be a little more pre-emptive, meaning; Do you want to pull a gun when you are only 'not sure' about a dog?

Originally Posted By: bigmike

If you are a big guy, grab the dog and FALL on him. He can't bite you when you're crushing him. However, you can hurt him with simple elbows to the ribs, kneeling on him with your knee, grabbing his throat, etc.

What kind of dog did you do this too? Sounds abit risky as like someone said before, it gets you down to where they can start at your head and neck? Plus a big dog will probably not stay under you for long unless your lucky on how it falls.
On my bike I evaluate if I can just outsprint a dog, and if not I stop and put the bike between my and the pooch and start talking to it, usually we come to an agreement and I walk or ride out of its territory.
I had two dogs come after me once that required some bike swinging but they eventually came around and let me go on my way.
I've always thought a steel golf club shaft with out the head, would always be a good weapon to carry on the bike for dogs, it would whistle pretty good as a detterent and you could take off their nose with a good swat...

Originally Posted By: expat
Less hassle than dealing with a dead or wounded dog, less liability (what happens if your round hits the sidewalk?) Plus you can be a little more pre-emptive, meaning; Do you want to pull a gun when you are only 'not sure' about a dog?

+1 Also, shooting someone in a confused moment like that is possible as well.

Yes, it is quite appropriate to pull a firearm when a dog threatens you or someone else. In Nevada its also quite legal. The police just want to be informed when you pull the deed off. John--Las Vegas.

Originally Posted By: Torino
Yes, it is quite appropriate to pull a firearm when a dog threatens you or someone else. In Nevada its also quite legal. The police just want to be informed when you pull the deed off. John--Las Vegas.

If I'm walking on the street and someone shoots me while trying to kill a dog, there will be a civil lawsuit.

Originally Posted By: CivicFan

If I'm walking on the street and someone shoots me while trying to kill a dog, there will be a civil lawsuit.

I appreciate you throwing yourself between me and an attacking dog. That's very selfless of you.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Originally Posted By: CivicFan

I appreciate you throwing yourself between me and an attacking dog. That's very selfless of you.

Not everyone is a trained marksman like you.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
If there's some reason I can't put it down fast and efficiently with a sidearm, like I'm somewhere like a school where you can't carry, I will protect my torso, face, and neck. I've noticed watching trained dogs that they will typically grab onto whatever comes closest.

Don't forget to cover your groin!

Originally Posted By: QuOk
Kicking is a risk with big dogs,They tend to latch on.
Pepper spray or a big stick is best.A nice wack to the face or head usually gets them to leave you alone.

I think kicks are the best strikes to use. They are by far the hardest weaponless strikes and they keep the animal as far away from vital areas as possible. I think it's unlikely a dog would have the timing or the correct angle to catch a full power soccer kick, since the kick is coming from underneath its jaw, but if the dog does latch on you should be in a good position to grab the back of its neck to hold its head in place on your leg while you gouge its eyes out. It should be pretty easy to finish it off after that.

Both my father and I have used soccer kicks to good effect. He connected well and the dog ran away and bit someone else down the street. In the only situation I've ever felt threatened by a dog, I charged and just clipped the big rottie with a soccer kick. He was in the process of realizing his mistake right when I started running at him, and he was yelping while I chased him around a parked car. He took off down the street after that. My father also sliced one with his pocket knife as it jumped at him. That was even more effective than a kick, of course.

My father has instructed me that it's easy to break even a large dog's neck if they grab your arm by going behind the head with your free arm and using a rear-naked-choke-like ("sleeper hold") arm position. The free arm grabs the other's bicep and is used to compress the back of the dog's neck toward you while the caught arm is used to force the head back with the intention of placing the dog's head on its back. I've never heard of anyone actually using this method though.

When walking I usually carry foam pepper spray, and a decent blade. When walking in non police states I usually carry my ppk/s when walking.

The best thing to do when a dog attacks you is to stand your ground, NEVER RUN! If you run your done.

I know people state that its not the dogs, but the owners and all that stuff, but there is enough discussion here to indicate that dogs ARE a menace. Sorry.

the other day while walking in my neighborhood, some stray dog ran from his house on the sidewalk and was charging at me barking like crazy. I said "hey hey" and moved to the side and stopped. The dog went around me barking. the owner was calling for his dog to come back to his house. I didn't have any spray or anything on me. I was ready to defend myself.

My best friend told me a story about how he was running through his neighborhood and some stray dog was running towards him. The dog lunged at him to bite him. When the dog was in the air with his mouth open, my friend had no choice but punched the dog straight on the nose. He said the dog whimpered and backed off after that and just kept barking at him but kept his distance from him.

Last edited:
Had a berzerker pit bull cross (crossed with something big) get me in a not-nice place. Had stopped *in the street* to deliver something to its owners and their two dogs were going nuts. "Call them off" I hollered at the top of my lungs. One took it as a threat and went after me.

Owners were completely stoned/helpless/not in control. After the fact they wrote my boss a letter about how their dogs never behaved that way before.

In that example, beating feet worked, as the dogs thought I was threatening their owners or property.

Of course the owners poorly trained the animals, as I was in public space.

Originally Posted By: Volvo_ST1
I use the very effective "Yaris Maneuver."

Please explain, nothing on Google!

So you're not supposed to run. Then what is the best way to avoid a fight with a large dog if you're unarmed? Should you turn toward it but walk backwards away from it while keeping eye contact?

Not yet.

I think this means he ran the dog over with his Toyota Yaris...

Anyways, as another post alluded to the most important thing is to stay on your feet. If you get grounded, the dog will go for the throat and that's when you are in trouble. You can take a lot of damage to your arms and legs before you'll bleed out, so kicks and eye gouges are probably your best bet for defense if the animal is attacking you.
Most dogs bark before they attack, allowing you to reach for the gun or pepper spray if you have it. However, it wouldn't be unreasonable that you might encounter a dog that chooses to stalk and attack silently. In this instance, I doubt you'll be able to reach for the weapon before the animal is biting you...so going for the eyes, nose, and other sensitive areas is your best bet. A dogs tendency to lock onto something will be a disadvantage when you go for the eyes...stationary target. I don't care what it is, but virtually every animal on earth will stop an attack if its eyes are threatened, as they are the most important tool in their survival.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back