What do you do when a dog attacks you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: mongo161
When I walk my dogs I carry a special Walking stick that I got from a Irishman. (I also carry some Pepper Spray but have never used it.)

It is called a "Black Thorn Stick" and has a very heavy wooden polished head and a jagged staff of heavy wood with sharp bumps.

I've used this with great success when warding off vicious stray dogs....the four legged and two legged kinds.

Once they see the walking stick, hear you loud voice and see your Willingness and ability use it as a defensive weapon....they seem to keep moving...fast. This Irish stick is lethal and could cause some serious damage when used properly.

Use a big stick I have one that (a piece of Ash)I have now carried for about 30 years and it's good against both four legged and two legged. Main thing is don't run, FACE.

Originally Posted By: pzev
Originally Posted By: expat
Originally Posted By: Volvo_ST1
I use the very effective "Yaris Maneuver."

Please explain, nothing on Google!

I think this means he ran the dog over with his Toyota Yaris...

No, I would never drive a Toyota.

I've been attacked by a dog twice. Never a stray though. The first dog broke his chain and took after me while I was on a bike riding home from a tennis court. I was in a high gear going slow and couldn't out run the dog. Bad move for the dog though. I pulled the tennis racket from the holder over the rear tire of the bike and smashed the dog in the face with it. After he did a few cart wheels he stayed down. A big German Shepard, and his owner was Pizt. That's life, and thank God the dog didn't bite me.

The second dog lunged me while I had a closed umbrella, I gave him a few good shots with that. It turned and ran. I love dogs, but I love not being in pain from a bite more.

My buddy Jon was visiting a farm back when he had his old Dodge. Well he's driving up the driveway, and this dog comes booking full-tilt at him, going off like crazy. He stays in the truck, the dog bites the sidewall out of one of his tires!

So he hops out of the truck, grabs a pitchfork from the bed, and puts it through the dog's neck. That fixed that.

Owner comes running down the driveway "you killed my dog!!!" Jon calmly says "he was going crazy and bit the sidewall out of my tire". The old guy says "oh. I would have killed him too."

End of story, LOL!

Gotta love rural folks.

I remember seeing a video of some dog eating the front bumper off of a CVPI.

Many years ago, I fixed a flat on my little sister's Honda Elite 50. I was just goofin' around riding it around the neighborhood when some ugly pit mix starts chasing me. Normally you just shift down and rocket away from the dog. The noise and the sudden acceleration always discourages them.

The Elite accelerates well for a 50cc...but not well enough.

That idiot inbred dog grabbed a spinning tire hard enough to damage the sidewall and almost crashed me out. All of the sudden the little scooter's back tire hops into the air and I'm flailing about trying not to crash. I thought I had just run over the dog but when I got back to my sisters I noticed a gouge in the sidewall.

I saw the dog walk away from this. Didn't go back to check on his inbred idiot [bottom]

What not to do. When I was a boy my Mom was walking our small poodle when it was attacked by a neighbor dog. My unarmed Mom tried and could not get the neighbor dog to turn loose of ours so my Mom bit the other dog hard on the ear and it let go.

I never initially think of a dog as being something dangerous. That rottie just caught me off guard because it was only about forty feet away when it started barking and it was running at me hard from behind so it kind of startled me into action. Kind of a surprise to see anything during a 3am run!

On the other end of the spectrum, I've met many good escaped dogs in the street. In the last few years, I've caught and returned five to their owners. Always somewhat larger ones, in the forty to eighty pound range. The little ones are always too frightened to allow me to approach, though I did have one of the larger ones I caught tremble and urinate on the ground when I first grabbed his collar after trapping him in a corner. He was enjoying his freedom and didn't want to be caught, but he was happily playing in my back yard within a few minutes. The others all approached me after I indicated that I was friendly. I even had one today while out walking my dog. It's actually unfortunate that the owner found us before I got home. The dog was so skinny I could feel its bones through its skin when I petted it, so I had planned on giving it a big meal before returning it. It wouldn't even come to the owner when she called it! I called it, it came to me, and I turned it over.

I also took one of my catches to the river one day. He and my dog spent the afternoon swimming and playing. It was a Sunday on a long weekend and there was nobody at the SPCA number on the tag, so he stayed an extra day with us. He had followed me six miles on a 3am bike ride to my girlfriend's the night before. I had heard footsteps behind me while riding, so I stopped and he came up to me for some attention. Then when I looked down, a cat was there too, so I gave them both some pets. I stopped at all the major streets to make sure he crossed safely. I called him Hobo, and he was reasonably obedient.

I like to get dogs off the street so they don't get hit by cars.

You're a stray magnet lol.

One thing I can say is that tazers are extremely effective against aggressive dogs. I've seen animal control turn the most violent aggressive dog into a wimpering puppy with one shot from their tazer harnesses or whatever you call those sticks with the loop at the end. I almost feel bad for the dog...its really traumatic. I'd imagine that dog would never be the same.
Same deal with the tazers cops use...seen a few videos of dogs going down FAST when tazed. They want nothing to do with anyone after that lol.

Your best option is a big stick. But you won't always have one handy.

Personally I see nothing wrong with kicking a dog- I've never met an aggressive dog that I couldn't kick the [censored] out of. One thing to keep in mind is that you can't out-run a dog.

Pepper spray should be plenty effective. But a cheaper/simpler/less obvious options is this: I know a mail man who carries a can of "wasp spray". It will spray about 6 feet- maybe more. The smell alone is enough to make most dogs back off... and a spray in they eyes will send them scurrying away.

Originally Posted By: pzev
Originally Posted By: expat
I use the very effective "Yaris Maneuver."

Please explain, nothing on Google!

I think this means he ran the dog over with his Toyota Yaris...

No, I would never drive a Toyota.

crackmeup2.gif

Note to self - must Google-bomb "Yaris Maneuver Cowl Pee"....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back