What do you do when a dog attacks you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you guys do when a stray dog comes up and bites you? Ive been having this problem lately. Mainly when im walking my dogs there will be a stray dog out. But ive also just been walking by myself and had stray dogs come up to me and start barking and act like they are going to bite me. Had one today and he kept following me and was barking and his mouth was so close to my ankles I felt slobber. What do you do when a dog comes up to you and just starts biting you. This isn't really a problem I have had in the past. Id be afraid to hurt the dog because I don't want to be sued. I think the best place to hit them would be right on the nose to get them to go away. Should you call 911 if a dog attacks you? It only takes one good bite to have a good portion of your calf missing.

Pepper spray. I got some for our bikes after some dogs tried to bite me while I was riding.

If there's a mean stray dog call the police. I've done it. It usually takes several calls before they'll do anything, in my area at least.

The biggest risk of a stray dog bite is rabies-the chance is small, but does exist. In my area the SPCA will pick the stray dog up & take them to the pound, and an unlicensed dog costs in excess of $200 to get back. Some counties have dog wardens that do the same thing.

When I walk my dogs I carry a special Walking stick that I got from a Irishman. (I also carry some Pepper Spray but have never used it.)

It is called a "Black Thorn Stick" and has a very heavy wooden polished head and a jagged staff of heavy wood with sharp bumps.

I've used this with great success when warding off vicious stray dogs....the four legged and two legged kinds.

Once they see the walking stick, hear you loud voice and see your Willingness and ability use it as a defensive weapon....they seem to keep moving...fast. This Irish stick is lethal and could cause some serious damage when used properly.

40 cal Glock dog repellant
12.gif

Don't know what the laws are where you live but here where I dwell, if a dog comes out and poses a threat, you have every right to protect yourself up to and including taking that animal's life.

Even out here in the rural county area where I live, dogs are supposed to be restrained, especially if they pose a threat. Law enforcement won't do a thing to you if you protect yourself from a vicious dog....and those dogs you speak of are vicious.

Originally Posted By: vintageant
That stick is a traditional Irish stick called a Shillelagh (pronounced shi-LAY-lee)

This is what they call a "Irish Black Thorn Walking Stick". All I need to do is show it to a "Dog" and they get the message and move on fast. Those Shillelagh sticks are short but the walking stick is long.

Ive been somewhat scared of dogs all my life because Ive been charged by them multiple times. Dont want to get bit. Something to whack it is seemingly the best option, IMO. My isue is when they come charging and Im riding my bike, clipped in. If they have a good angle and I cant get away fast enough, well that really worries me...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Ive been somewhat scared of dogs all my life because Ive been charged by them multiple times. Dont want to get bit. Something to whack it is seemingly the best option, IMO. My isue is when they come charging and Im riding my bike, clipped in. If they have a good angle and I cant get away fast enough, well that really worries me...

I had this issue back when I was in my teens. There were two aggressive dogs that lived down the road that would come ripping at you when you were riding your bike and start biting at your feet.

I ended up with a ripped pair of jeans one day, and had enough. Picked up a large piece of asphalt on the way back, and when the one dog came for my leg, I DRIFTED it at the top of the dogs head; flattened his face right into the gravel. He never came near me after that.

My buddy's dad was a touch crazy though, and when he lost his license for the millionth time and was bicycling, and the dogs came after him.... Well both of them went mysteriously missing later that evening. Likely to the sounds of some 303 shots. Owners went looking for them the next day, knocking door to door if anybody had seen them. I sort of found out later what happened.

Extending baton or pepper spray would be among my top choices. A nice shot of pepper spray won't do any permanent damage. Some people advocate stun guns, but that's too close for comfort AFAIC. Assuming you are talking about a legitimate threat, forget lawsuit concerns when worrying about protecting yourself.

I got tore up pretty good by a loose Husky when I was 4 (30 stitches total in my head, face, and neck) and had a major phobia of them that carried into my teens. Then I gradually got over it. There are a few things I've learned over the years and keep in mind:

1. They can smell fear, and when they do they are more likely to attack.

2. Trying to stare a dog down is a bad idea as you then force it into a fight or flight stance. Eye contact is fine, but staring is a bad idea.

3. Its nose is incredibly sensitive and a good rap to it will send even the meanest dogs running.

-Spyder

Shoot it
Kick it HARD
Hit it with anything on hand as hard as you possibly can.
Shout loudly
If they get in close, I have a large pocketknife that can be drawn quickly.

I've only been in this situation a few times, but I always aimed to kill. They seem to know if you're just trying to be safe vs. wanting to kill them.

My wife carries mace. It would probably work, too.

Kicking is a risk with big dogs,They tend to latch on.
Pepper spray or a big stick is best.A nice wack to the face or head usually gets them to leave you alone.

If there's some reason I can't put it down fast and efficiently with a sidearm, like I'm somewhere like a school where you can't carry, I will protect my torso, face, and neck. I've noticed watching trained dogs that they will typically grab onto whatever comes closest. A kick will have them bite down on the leg. If an arm is closest they will grab it.

Dog's natural prey is typically not bi-pedal. They don't have any instinctual places to attack humans. If you are down on the ground they do know your vulnerable points. the same as most quadrapeds.

I would like to think that if I am attacked, I would swing my left arm. (If the dog is large enough that is. A small breed is getting punted about 30 yards) If striking the dog does not dissuade the dog, and it bites down on my arm, it loses it's eyes. Done. They are gone. Thrashing his head about is only going to worsen the damage. If it is an un-neutered male, he's going to wish he had been neutered.

Originally Posted By: Trajan
Shoot it.
Yes indeed. The first chamber in my revolver has a snake shot cartridge. The rest have run of the mill hollow points. Generally the 1st shot gets their attention. John--Las Vegas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back