How do you defend yourself from stray dogs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't had this problem in a while, but I'm in the landscaping business and I think all the noise from the equipment causes some dogs to go into attack mode. I've had probably 5 or 6 occasions where a dog got out on the loose roaming the neighborhood from a nearby house and they stroll right up to me and bark like crazy 3 feet away from me. Do I have a right to kill a dog if he starts attacking me? Not that I would know how since I don't carry any weapons on me. I think dogs just hate me. Another time I was walking to a house carrying my equipment with me and these two little yippy type dogs kept nipping at my ankles when I was walking. I didn't know what to do other than to just keep walking since they weren't really actually biting me to the point of drawing blood. I know it's the equipment that makes them act the way they do.

Last edited by a moderator:
They say dogs that bark don't bite, That is not true. I will defend myself against any critter that attacks me with any force necessary and with any means at my disposal. I have never had to take drastic action, but when the teeth come out, the gloves come off.

Of course you have the right to defend yourself. I love dogs as much as the next guy, but if I'm about to bleed, I have no problem punting a dog. It's a blurred area because the owner will claim it's not their fault the dog was out or their dog would never do something like that and all they can go by is what you say unless you have injuries from the dog to prove otherwise. Strays can be just as or more aggressive too and they are no different. Weapon or not, I think it's perfectly fine and legal to protect yourself from dogs, and for that matter violent people. I would like to point out that I'm not telling anyone to go out and hurt or antagonize animals or people on purpose, but it's a whole other story when you are trying to defend/protect yourself from harm or worse. I agree, I'm sure the sound or unidentifiable object they hear or see is disrupting to they way their brains operate and they can only react so many ways.

Last edited:
Pepper spray might be a good thing to have. A trash can lid makes a good shield. Killing would be a last resort especially if i'm not on my property. If its biting you, then kill it if you have to. A fixed blade knife in a belt sheath might be good to have. With gun in a neighborhood, you have so many things around your target to worry about where the round will go.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Haven't had this problem in a while, but I'm in the landscaping business and I think all the noise from the equipment causes some dogs to go into attack mode. I've had probably 5 or 6 occasions where a dog got out on the loose roaming the neighborhood from a nearby house and they stroll right up to me and bark like crazy 3 feet away from me. Do I have a right to kill a dog if he starts attacking me? Not that I would know how since I don't carry any weapons on me. I think dogs just hate me. Another time I was walking to a house carrying my equipment with me and these two little yippy type dogs kept nipping at my ankles when I was walking. I didn't know what to do other than to just keep walking since they weren't really actually biting me to the point of drawing blood. I know it's the equipment that makes them act the way they do.

In many states INCLUDING Texas you do have the right to use
deadly force, including a gun to eliminate the threat. Carry and be prepared to shoot to kill the animal. Many localities have laws that prevent a dog from running at large.

As long as that dog is running at large on public or another property other than the owners (and even my state prevents an owners dog from being out of control on their own property! which would result in the dog attacking a victim on their own property or public or other private property. )

It's unfortunate that you have to kill these animals but the owners simply do NOT usually care about controlling their animals and only its death will end the problem.

Last edited:
I know alot of joggers and cyclist have it rough.

I would definitely get a license and carry a small gun for self defense.

The whole running away.. makes them chase you down and attack you.

Neighbor's dog charged me in my own yard last spring.

Took me out I had a minor knee sprain.. luckily she didnt bite me.. Now I carry a shovel when I'm out there. If that dog charges me again its going to get shovel to the face.

I actually hate stray dogs. As a child we lived about 3 blocks away from a scrap yard. One of the German Shepherds got lose and messed up my leg for several weeks. I was only like 10 at the time.

Kick, punch I really don't care. My dog phobia just kicks in.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Wouldn't pepper spray be most appropriate in these cases?

No, because first if you don't get the spray positioned perfectly it won't be very effective, and in many cases it will actually increase the aggressiveness of the dog. Secondly when you kill that problem animal the problem of that animal goes away, FOREVER.

Gel-type bear spray for the big dogs. The kind that shoots a stream 20' or so. Or you can use ammonia in a high-quality hand-squirt sprayer, set on stream. In a pinch, drop by a local grocery and pick up one of those large containers of finely ground black pepper. This works well for the little yippy-dogs. Throw it in their face.

They'll remember you for a long time after such an encounter!

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel

No, because first if you don't get the spray positioned perfectly it won't be very effective, and in many cases it will actually increase the aggressiveness of the dog. Secondly when you kill that problem animal the problem of that animal goes away, FOREVER.

Now that I think of it I don't think killing a dog would be good for my customer base since most of them have dogs. Probably just stick with pepper spray. Never thought about using pepper spray.

Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel

Now that I think of it I don't think killing a dog would be good for my customer base since most of them have dogs. Probably just stick with pepper spray. Never thought about using pepper spray.

I can hear it now!

I overseeded, trimmed your japanese maple , planted some loriape, and oh I forgot to mention, I buried your dog over there next to the shed. That will be $500 please.

Last edited:
well there is videos of a certain breed not stopping when getting tazered. But really i would do anything i had do.. If you can pin a dog down with your body weight if it really got up close in personal in a choke hold. But anything can be a weapon.

I don't know why unless those owners also let their animals run at large and attack people minding their own business. Do they?
whistle.gif
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back