Dog Breeding - "Business" - rules and regs

I have annoying amount of barking getting worse back behind us. I did some reconnoitering and it looks like these folks are raising dogs, some further inside scoop tells me they are selling the dogs for herd watching.

I have no problem with OK businesses and we do live in the country.

We don't hear the barking inside the house, but do outside and they are very keen big dogs by nature so bark when we are on certain parts of our property. I mean violent loud, crazed barking. There are other factors here as they have goats to train the dogs with and the goats don't look that happy about it.

Just wondering what typical laws are for breeding and selling and keeping dogs in your area?

• Sad
Reactions: GON
I believe that if you have more than 3 dogs in my area you must obtain a kennel license and comply with the rules.

Ultrasonic deterrent? Maybe it's just a scam but could be worth looking into but unfortunately would cost a lot. Bad reviews on Google? That's just mean though.

So after reading the laws and speaking with county people, leaving a message

I found out:
People have complained before us. Mainly barking.
Humane society and authorities have done walk throughs of the properties. Comments were, while not the best, top, pro operations, no actual violations.

The conclusion was reached that our only legal complaint is the barking. Excessive barking is defined as 20+ minutes of continuous.

Authorities called their number to request a halt to excessive barking. The owners are away, family emergency. We did not know this.

Dogs were quiet all night.

I have annoying amount of barking getting worse back behind us. I did some reconnoitering and it looks like these folks are raising dogs, some further inside scoop tells me they are selling the dogs for herd watching.

I have no problem with OK businesses and we do live in the country.

We don't hear the barking inside the house, but do outside and they are very keen big dogs by nature so bark when we are on certain parts of our property. I mean violent loud, crazed barking. There are other factors here as they have goats to train the dogs with and the goats don't look that happy about it.

Just wondering what typical laws are for breeding and selling and keeping dogs in your area?
Off the cuff the I wonder if the dogs could be considered livestock and therefore illegal use under your local zoning. Assuming it's zoned residential only of course..

Off the cuff the I wonder if the dogs could be considered livestock and therefore illegal use under your local zoning. Assuming it's zoned residential only of course..
Not zoned, county area. State laws apply see above. 50 adult dogs, etc....

The good news is they can be quiet and have been for 17+ hours now...........and now I wonder if they were barking to be fed!!

Where I live, "noise resulting from agriculture or agribusiness" is specifically exempt from the noise ordinance. If the dogs are being treated according to humane rules but bark anyway, it would be considered legitimate agribusiness.

Do the dogs see you and then bark? if the owners seem pretty reasonable you could go over and introduce yourself to them and their dogs, and then they should see you as part of the extended "flock" after that and probably not bark when you are out. Almost all of the livestock guardian breeds bark a lot whenever they see, hear, or smell people or animals that aren't in their group.
Ideally these dogs should be on a large property, like 50 acres+, then they are only barking at wildlife and delivery guys!

Where I live, "noise resulting from agriculture or agribusiness" is specifically exempt from the noise ordinance. If the dogs are being treated according to humane rules but bark anyway, it would be considered legitimate agribusiness.
Except they don't qualify as a business. Not big enough. Interestingly enough.

Do the dogs see you and then bark? if the owners seem pretty reasonable you could go over and introduce yourself to them and their dogs, and then they should see you as part of the extended "flock" after that and probably not bark when you are out. Almost all of the livestock guardian breeds bark a lot whenever they see, hear, or smell people or animals that aren't in their group.
Ideally these dogs should be on a large property, like 50 acres+, then they are only barking at wildlife and delivery guys!
Wife and I have had dogs our entire lives, so we thought of this to. The Great Pyrenees bark a LOT friend or foe, they don't care. They are bored. The Carpathian Shepherds are better, smarter. When they mix them, in between - personality dependent.

Exactly what I told the Human Society guy. At 5-10 acres, still not enough buffer.

Back