need an advice on neighbor and dog issue, please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by friendly_jacek
Eventually, I banged on the door of the neighbor screaming to take those dogs and he and his son proceeded to push me and my petite wife by force from his property to the street. He was very aggressive and abusive verbally and we ended up calling police, which took their time to show up (30 minutes). Then we heard earful from the police how we shouldn't have knocked on the door and provoke the situation, and we should have called the police about the dogs in the first place, which was really ridiculous because it took them half an hour to show up. The neighbor didn't deny the dogs story or pushing us, but he told the police it was a self defense, because my wife "swung at him." Unfortunately, in the heat of the emotions ("fog of war" LOL), we didn't record any of that, and that was very stupid of us.
It was kind of stupid to be honest, especially screaming an pounding on his door. I love dogs and I can understand how you feel, but you did unnecessarily escalate the situation. You were the aggressor and that makes them appear to be victims and exaggerate or lie about the events. It's always tempting to try to handle things personally before you call in the heavies, but if he doesn't care about you or your dog then you owe him no courtesies. Calling the authorities also creates a papertrail that was mentioned before.

Calling the cops for matters that should be settled mano a mano is petty, but the closed mouth does not get fed.

Last edited:
I had the exact same problem with a neighbor who happened to be a macho female....her 110 lb. rott/pitt mix was running loose and attacked my 25 lb. JRT/ACD mix (who was leashed) sending him to the vet with puncture wounds (she blamed my dog for fighting back)....the bioch never even apologized when she came to get her loose dog after the attack. The next time it happened I kicked her dog and took off my belt and whacked him and she got in my face....that's the closest I ever came to punching a woman (and I use that term loosely here). I eventually went to the police who gave her a warning...that was about 2 years ago and she's starting to let them (she has 2 now) loose again....It's probably time for another visit to the police.....which is the best route to take....

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Did this piece of [censored] touch your wife?

yeah, this when we decided to stop playing polite neighbors anymore.

I'm so sorry brother! Man you have awesome self control,I would've ripped him in half. NO male under any circumstances puts his hands on a women,EVER.

And you would've went to jail that same day. What good would that do you for? They were on they guy's property, if you don't leave when asked, he can force you out. Not defending the guy, he seems like a bad neighbor, but it seems he knows what he's doing to avoid trouble with the law.

A smart man plays the same game as the other guy, getting your anger to cloud your judgment oftentimes puts you as the "bad guy". Perhaps that was the intention of this neighbor in the first place. He just stayed in his house and waited.

In my opinion, bear spray or pepper spray, as long as its legal in your area. After that, call the police and report that you were attacked by the dog, and they will have to respond immediately. If they don't take any action, I would contact the local news station.

Get some bear spray. If the dogs come after you on your property or public property and frighten you, use the bear spray. I would not go on his property.

Lock you car and house. Locking gas cap.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
Did this piece of [censored] touch your wife?

yeah, this when we decided to stop playing polite neighbors anymore.

I'm so sorry brother! Man you have awesome self control,I would've ripped him in half. NO male under any circumstances puts his hands on a women,EVER.

A smart man plays the same game as the other guy, getting your anger to cloud your judgment oftentimes puts you as the "bad guy". Perhaps that was the intention of this neighbor in the first place. He just stayed in his house and waited.

A smart man would do his best to avoid interacting with these ppl.

Threads like this and TV shows like "fear thy neighbor" are reasons why I enjoy renting. If anyone of my neighbors in my community acts like this (or has noise complaints/is caught smoking on the property) they are immediately evicted, no questions asked.

Sure, ownership has it's benefits but in the grand scheme of things IMHO, life should be enjoyed and spend doing things you like. Not fighting over insignificant quibbles.

coffee2.gif

Originally Posted by Papa Bear
What would you guys do?Thanks!

I'd walk another street

And stay off his property and far away, thats trespassing and will not help your case as you discovered . And keep the wife out this too, thats another way for the situation to escalate, she gets get slapped or pushed, you go nuts, then you're in a brawl on the neighbors lawn and out numbered to boot, not good..

These types of people can't be reasoned with, animal control needs to be involved. Personal confrontations and guns are a good way end up behind bars fast.

We've had some lousy neighbors over the years (all gone now thankfully), talking and arguing with them rarely worked,

Last edited:
Carry bear spray and report to animal control every time you see the dogs out loose. Document every attack on your pups. Sue them if need be. Take video and pictures.

Lot's of good suggestions. The suggestion of pepper spray is very good. Find-out if it is legal in your area. If so, get a couple cans and do a test/practice session and make sure you know how to aim and squirt the stuff. Some comes out in a fog, some is a stream. If you don't practice, you could end-up spraying your own dog or worse yet, your spouse. Strong wind can blow it back into your own face. One or two practice sessions is highly recommended.

FWIW, I walk my dogs 2-3 times a day (one of them is a pit-mix) and have had off-leash mean dogs come barreling down at us more times than I can count. You must remain calm. When humans appear to be out of control, dogs pick-up on that and get even more aggressive. I carry both pepper spray and a 2-prong tazer. I've used both on dogs and both work effectively. Pepper spray has the benefit of putting space between you and the aggressive dog but aiming it in fast-moving situations like that is really tricky. Both times I used pepper spray, my own dog ended-up getting slightly squirted with it -but not as bad as the intended target. Spraying the dogs on the lips, nostrils and eyes is the key factor.

Keep in mind, dog pepper spray is lower strength than human pepper spray -which is lower in strength than bear pepper spray. Dogs have far more sensitive nose reactions than humans. The point is, a little bit goes a long way on a dog. If you're in grave danger, spray it with everything you got.

Ray

The police in most towns don't care about dog calls, especially if you have a local animal control agency. You need to call them, file a complaint.

Me personally, may not work for you, but I carry a gun every day of the year, 365 days a year. A public street, is just that, public. As such, you have a right to be there, without being harassed, chased, or endangered by dangerous dogs. I will not modify my behavior due to dangerous dogs.

Were it me, I file a complaint with animal control. See what happens. Let them do their jobs. If nothing happens, wear a go pro, go on a walk, blow away dogs that threaten you.

Easy as pie.

When I was a teen, I used to have to walk from my car to my house with a huge metal pipe in my hand. My neighbor has a very large, very dangerous, very aggressive rottweiler, that was always out, and thought my yard, was his yard. So when I left the house I carried the pipe to the car, and when I got home, I carried the pipe to the house. I even smacked him on the head a few times when he charged.

Were that same scenario to play out today, I would warn the owner (once) to control his dog and keep him on his property. After that, I shoot the dog.

Those folks sound like meth trailer trash. Do you want them mad at you? Can you handle that scenario, if they get aggressive or escalate? I can. I eat meth addicts for breakfast and like a good confrontation, but your mileage may vary .

The county I live in, dogs are not permitted to run wild, leash laws. People get sued for injuries or damage by their dogs, in my county anyway. Call animal control next time, get it hauled away.

Originally Posted by pbm
I had the exact same problem with a neighbor who happened to be a macho female....her 110 lb. rott/pitt mix was running loose and attacked my 25 lb. JRT/ACD mix (who was leashed) sending him to the vet with puncture wounds (she blamed my dog for fighting back)....the bioch never even apologized when she came to get her loose dog after the attack. The next time it happened I kicked her dog and took off my belt and whacked him and she got in my face....that's the closest I ever came to punching a woman (and I use that term loosely here). I eventually went to the police who gave her a warning...that was about 2 years ago and she's starting to let them (she has 2 now) loose again....It's probably time for another visit to the police.....which is the best route to take....
Have you ever heard about people poisoning food and leaving it somewhere for a dog to find? When I read this, I thought that this type of situation would make someone want to poison their neighbor's dog.

Originally Posted by Trav
Get yourself on of these, great protection and a pack of dogs is no match for it, neither is wolf pack or bear. Introduce the pup to your little dog early and it will protect it.
I'm not sure I would want a livestock guardian dog living anywhere near neighbors, not to mention to what level it would have to be trained and exercised. I'd love a Komondor personally but without livestock to guard I wouldn't want to deal with it.

Originally Posted by Gito
If you have no kids, Get yourself a Pitbull. Not only is your bad neighbor going to hate you but all other neighbors are going to hate you too.
Throw the ball down the street and your neighbors will watch your Pitbull get bigger, faster and uglier.

If you can't beat them, join them.

Well, probably true. My dog does not seem to like to play with other dogs nicely She is only 70 lbs but will strike fear in your heart if she gets concerned.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Have you ever heard about people poisoning food and leaving it somewhere for a dog to find? When I read this, I thought that this type of situation would make someone want to poison their neighbor's dog.

Good point, you have to make sure these idiots don't throw poisoned meatballs or glass meatballs, into your yard for your dogs to find. Or or leave antifreeze out near your yard line.

Never underestimate your neighbor in a situation like this. Don't do anything stupid and assume he/she is videoing as well.

Last edited:
I love dogs! But, if another dog attacked me or my K-9 (Bestfriend) I would not hesitate to shoot it. Obviously, you can't rely on the police. My neighbor's ten year old grandson was attacked by two vicious pit bulls. They jumped on him while riding a bicycle. He survived, but had numerous stitches. The owner denied the dogs belonged to them.

I would video and write a log of each occurrence. Get the name of the Officers who responded. Get a copy of their Lapel cameras. Dispatch logs, radio traffic, report, and history at the neighbor's home. All public information.

I wouldn't shoot it, but if my leashed dog was attacked on my property, I wouldn't hesitate to stomp the dog that's attacking mine. Problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back