need an advice on neighbor and dog issue, please

Status
Not open for further replies.
bubbatime has a point. Open carry may send a message that you are serious, but you also would have to deal with the neighbor calling the cops and saying you are walking in front of his house with a gun. Given the fact that you did beat on his door and have an altercation, i would not chose this route.

He could make you out to be the bad guy, and the cops, after a few calls will want to shut this down, I just would not open carry in this given situation.

Even if justified, shooting a dog up close is dicey, they are moving and you have to account for where the round goes on a through and through shot, ricochet off pavement etc.

I have and sometimes do carry open when walking my dogs, But i'm in a rural area, less house density. I also carry a large legal lockblade with a pocket clip. No arguing how close the dog is to you if he is cut.

Last edited:
Too late to edit my above post.

I worded it poorly, bubbatime did not suggest open carry, I just worded if poorly why i would not. Concealed carry i think is what bubbatime was alluding to, in-case you end up on the wrong side of the dogs.

Sorry bubbatime for my confusing post.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
The police in most towns don't care about dog calls, especially if you have a local animal control agency. You need to call them, file a complaint.

Me personally, may not work for you, but I carry a gun every day of the year, 365 days a year. A public street, is just that, public. As such, you have a right to be there, without being harassed, chased, or endangered by dangerous dogs. I will not modify my behavior due to dangerous dogs.

Were it me, I file a complaint with animal control. See what happens. Let them do their jobs. If nothing happens, wear a go pro, go on a walk, blow away dogs that threaten you.

Easy as pie.

When I was a teen, I used to have to walk from my car to my house with a huge metal pipe in my hand. My neighbor has a very large, very dangerous, very aggressive rottweiler, that was always out, and thought my yard, was his yard. So when I left the house I carried the pipe to the car, and when I got home, I carried the pipe to the house. I even smacked him on the head a few times when he charged.

Were that same scenario to play out today, I would warn the owner (once) to control his dog and keep him on his property. After that, I shoot the dog.

Those folks sound like meth trailer trash. Do you want them mad at you? Can you handle that scenario, if they get aggressive or escalate? I can. I eat meth addicts for breakfast and like a good confrontation, but your mileage may vary .

I think we were separated at birth. This is exactly how I would handle it. Years ago I got tangled up with a friend's moron neighbor (nice neighborhood) with an aggressive dog and I carry. Dog had nipped his wife and gone after both of them on their own property several times, it was a hot topic of conversation in their house. The owner was outside and dog went after me while I was walking to my car. It was the most aggressive I've seen a dog be in person. Owner was pretty nonchalant about the dog running over and bearing teeth until she saw the gun come out. She ran over in panic mode and grabbed it. I yelled something about what kind of person would even own a dog like that let alone let it run free, get an electric fence you stupid ----. They got rid of the dog soon after.

I'd be very careful how you tread on this one.

Neighbor already has a complaint against you: you banged on his door and refused to leave. He can legitimately claim that you started a confrontation. (I am sympathetic to you, but you gave him this leverage/advantage).

Video. Go Pro, perhaps, is a better choice than cell phone, because it's always on. You will be certain of gathering the evidence you need of aggression, and of the dogs running free (this is against your city ordinance, right?)

Gather the evidence that supports your story. File complaint through legal channels.

Be advised that Bubbatime's concern: that you're escalating with people who are prone to violence, and the answer may be more violence, is very real, even if your behaviour is above reproach. They may answer your complaint, however legitimate, with more violence. Against you, against your dog, against your property.

So, in addition to the Go-Pro, I would be certain that a couple of Ring Cameras are positioned to catch any potential intrusion into your yard, and any potential future conflicts, or vandalism, or outright crime, when you're not home.

I didn't catch if this happened on your property. As others have stated the confrontation wasn't the best idea, call animal control and the cops to get it documented.

Out in the county where I live, there is no animal control. The sheriff tells me that if a dog gets aggressive on my property, drop it, or I can call him and he'll send a deputy out to drop it. I love dogs, but I have zero tolerance for somebody else's dog coming on my property and getting aggressive towards my family, or my dogs (beagles that are contained with an in ground system). I really hope this never happens. I'm dealing with a situation now where my neighbors pit bull keeps coming into our yard, which causes my beagles to go nuts. We have repeatedly asked them to keep the dog out of our yard to no avail. Tried explaining that I don't know how their dog will respond to our beagles barking at it, that's when I had a conversation with the sheriff.

Last edited:
If you want to use a spray, forget the rest, use WASP & HORNET spray, and get it in their eyes. It will immediately render the toughest most vicious dog unable to even THINK about attacking you. I used this spray when I was attacked by a group of territorial stray dogs in a rural area years ago. It sent them running away howling in pain. I even heard their howls for another 5-10 min. off in the distance,
thumbsup2.gif
LOL.

Thought about this a bit more. Next time it's running wild call the police and say you have an aggressive dog on your property and can't get to your car. Don't blab about prior problems or say who owns it. Cop might shoot it for you when he shows up to see what's going on and gets attacked.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by friendly_jacek
I'm sure this will repeat itself in the future and I'm trying to figure out what are my options besides making sure to record the event. Do you think I should arm myself with a gun and shoot the dogs on the spot? How about tear gas? Shining bright light from a cell phone was useless (and prevented us from recording). I kicked the dogs a few times, but it didn't help. What would you guys do?

Only weapon I'd consider in this situation is some good pepper spray. A good dose of pepper spray in the eyes and nose of those dogs will send a strong message, and will probably keep them from attacking anymore. If the attacking dog owner's don't like it, tell them to keep their frickin' dogs under control and not let them be a menace to society.

Not a good idea to discharge a firearm in a residential area as someone hinted at. I carry a stun gun. This has worked the best for me because it doesn't actually hurt the animal where bear spray might. All the times I've needed it all I have to do is pull the trigger and the dogs will go running off just by the noise it makes. Have never used it on a dog. BTW I walk two German Shepherds who can hold their own but I don't want my dogs to get into a fight even though they could more than likely kill the other dog(s).

Last edited:
I have zero tolerance for unruly dogs. You have every right to enjoy your life without being harassed by either scum or dogs. If your neighbor even thinks about putting his hands anywhere near your wife again,beat the life out of him. And yes,I will go to jail to defend a woman. If his dogs attack you,do anything necessary to protect you and your wife.

The other night I went biking and this scum bag up the street's pit bull came charging at me from his yard and bit my bike's pedal. I jumped off and kicked it in the head as hard as I could and it took off back into their yard. I told that guy if it happens again he is next to get kicked in the head. Haven't seen the dog since.

Wow, I didn't know the thread was still running. Thanks again.

I did write a letter to the HOA and met with the president to make them aware of the problems with the neighbor and his dogs. All they will do is to issue a remainder to keep dogs locked or on a leash. I'll get a some kind of body camera to document every instance of dogs loose (it's against city law and HOA bylaws). Apparently the fine for that is $2-50 (probably never enforced). In the meantime, i have a flashlight and camera ready. I also started carrying a pepper spray that I happened to have (almost forgot about). I tested it and it gives a stream and not a spray.
I cannot avoid the neighbor house, because I live on a culdesac.
I also ordered a set of security cameras for around the home.

as for calling police and animal control, i'm really not sure this is of any help as by the time they arrive, it's too late and over.

now, i'm thinking about a stun gun too, but there are so many ones to chose from. need to do more research.

Last edited:
It's not yet clear to me where this specifically happened. I get it that you're on a cul de sac, but does your neighborhood have sidewalks? Did the current (and prior) attack(s) happen on your property? On the sidewalk in front of your or their house? Out in the street? Each one may have slightly different considerations.

I'm not a fan of dogs because many negligent owners have spoiled it. A dog is a liability - yours and theirs. Seems they're not keeping up on their end of the bargain. Depending upon the sidewalk situation, you going up to their door seems acceptable. How you did or didn't leave once noted that you were unwelcome is another story.

Lousy that you need to think about carrying sticks, sprays, cameras, etc. but in a way, it's fortunate that such tech exists, even if it's a cost you shouldn't have to incur. But you should be in a mode of keeping your head low, and documenting. Even if they're irresponsible jerks, they probably don't feel great about the situation in hindsight. But never underestimate someone's ability to hold a grudge or keep doing mean things.

Good luck

I have bad neighbors. Much worse than your situation. Unfortunately, bad neighbors will escalate the problem into the critical range. It's the nature of bad people.

Lots of good advice above, for sure. However, you must remember one critical item. It's up to you to protect yourself and your family. The cops and animal control won't (and can't) protect you.

The advice I'd give mirors another post. Walk your dog elsewhere. Carry defensive spray. Video immediately at the start of any trouble. AVOID YOUR NEIGHBORS NO MATTER WHAT. Carry a gun with many rounds, dogs are difficult to hit and some dogs are robust enough to be only slowed by poorly placed pistol rounds.

FYI, my bad neighbor became so irate, he and 8 of his family/friends surrounded and attacked me when I came home, in a preplanned and coordinated, yet drunk, attack. BE CAREFUL, I almost lost my life due to bad people. They truly feel justified to escalate.

Please understand I am not saying the gun is the answer. I am saying that bad people will often drive a situation into the red-zone whether you know it or not. At which point, you have but one defense.

Last edited:
In your OP you said the cops had said you escalated the situation by banging on the neighbors door. You also stated your wife took a swing at him, after which he and his son pushed you and your "petite" wife off their property. You're lucky you and your petite wife weren't arrested for trespassing and assault. You should have picked up your " little" dog and walked home and let the cops handle the situation. There's two sides to every story and we're only hearing yours.

I learned a long time ago to never try and reason, or deal with those "different" neighbors when it comes to noise, dogs etc. Once you complain to them, you're marked. That means if/when something happens to them or their property, even if you didn't do it, they will assume you did and that's when you may become a target of retaliation. Make Animal Control, along with the PD do their job. Document every incident, phone call, name, and let them know you won't hesitate to bring legal action against the city when you or your family get attacked by the dog. In the mean time, get a Monkey Fist to carry when you're out walking your dog. I have one that I carry when I'm out riding my bike but haven't had to use it yet. I've had a few ankle biters chase me but they were quickly stopped by a sole to nose shot.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by gman2304
In your OP you said the cops had said you escalated the situation by banging on the neighbors door. You also stated your wife took a swing at him, after which he and his son pushed you and your "petite" wife off their property. You're lucky you and your petite wife weren't arrested for trespassing and assault. You should have picked up your " little" dog and walked home and let the cops handle the situation. There's two sides to every story and we're only hearing yours.

^^^ this.
the group loves the "what do I do threads", because common sense is usually the answer, and they are always funny.

o.p.--- you are very lucky that you and wifey did not end up in the hospital, after YOUR aggressive behavior.
re: common sense -- shoot the dogs/use tear gas. this is hilarious.very intelligent thing to do,as you might get arrested/ spend a lot of time dealing with police. why don't you use an rpg, or set up a claymore, such that the dog/owner will get killed hitting the trip wire.this makes as much sense as shooting the dog/using tear gas.

here's a thought --call animal control and police, mainly to get it on record. then, use some form of spray, as several have mentioned, if necessary.naaaaah -- an rpg would be more fun.
at any rate, good luck, and have a good evening.

Somebody needs to brush up on their reading comprehension skills. The OP never stated his wife took a swing at the neighbor. He stated the neighbor [falsely] claimed the petite wife took a swing at him. Unless I missread, and am the one who needs to brush up on reading comprehension skills.

Originally Posted by ArrestMeRedZ
Somebody needs to brush up on their reading comprehension skills. The OP never stated his wife took a swing at the neighbor. He stated the neighbor [falsely] claimed the petite wife took a swing at him. Unless I missread, and am the one who needs to brush up on reading comprehension skills.
As rudimentary as my reading comprehension skills are, the OP didn't deny his "petite" wife took a swing at the neighbor, just that it was stupid of them for not recording the altercation.That tells me something right away! As I said, there's two sides to this story and we're only hearing one.

Originally Posted by funflyer
I learned a long time ago to never try and reason, or deal with those "different" neighbors when it comes to noise, dogs etc.

This is the most accurate statement in the entire thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back