Dogs -_-

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been a dog person all my life, but sometimes...

We have three dogs, which is waaay more than enough. Two are big mutts, 120 and 80 lbs. The other one is a survivor, a chihuahua/rat terrier mix that is about 15 years old. The little guy is a cranky old man, nearly deaf, that doesn't like one of the big dogs, and will sometimes just stand and bark at him for no conceivable reason.

I let them out to do their morning business, and the smaller of the big boys will go and stand behind the big one while he wee-wees so that he can then sniff it and pee on top of it. Nice. He's also decided that he wants to eat the Clorox wipes that we clean the counters with; the only problem with that is that then he wants to frantically run around eating grass so that he can barf them back up again. About a month ago, he seemed sick for a couple of days, so my wife was walking around the back yard with him to see if he could pass whatever was bothering him, when he barfed up about 3 feet of thick string, which was still attached. She stepped on it, and the dog backed up until there was about 15 feet or so of this string on the ground. Not surprisingly, he felt better after that. I don't understand the attraction of eating non-foods that some dogs have.

The big one seems to be mostly a shepherd/husky mix, and he's a nice, gentle, kind of shy animal. He is a rescue who was abused in the past. Definitely the strong, silent type, although a little insecure. He has decided a couple of times that he really should be a lap dog and has climbed up on my wife. Mostly you just see a dog with her legs sticking out underneath. We've finally managed to more-or-less convince him that this isn't good. He's not normally as gross as the other two, but he has his moments, like the time he came in from outside with a poop dangling off of his back end attached to some hair or something he had eaten. He couldn't figure out all the screaming and gesticulating, but fortunately went back outdoors until the situation could be rectified.

The little one has decided that being housebroken is overrated. Apparently there are a lot of things more interesting outside than doing your stuff. He can be out for 15 minutes, and immediately come in and drop a land mine. Awesome. We're working on it, and fortunately with some success. I had decided to take a nap one day, and had my arm hanging off the side of the couch. I awoke to the simultaneous sensations of fur and slime on my hand. He had decided to rub his head on my hand, which I guess would be OK except for his wet nose and weepy eyes.

The medium-sized dog goes ballistic every time he hears a sound he doesn't like, such as the UPS truck, ice cream truck, neighbors coming home, kids playing up the street, and other things that humans can't even hear. He looks like the "tasmanian devil" cartoons. Generally, he'd be happy to go out and play with any of the people he's barking and snarling at. Then, of course, the little dog barks because one of the big dogs is barking, but since he's deaf, he just keeps barking after they stop.

We got the medium-sized one so the big one would have someone to play with. The big guy doesn't like to play with him. Every once in a while, he'll slam him down on the ground and say that play time is over, but mostly I think they just irritate each other.

So dogs are great.
confused.gif

I will say this: if dogs are capable of worship, they worship my wife. I don't worry too much about her when she's with the dogs. They may be goofy, but if someone threatened her in any way with the dogs around, I think they would regret it.

Great post. We have four - two labs, one lab/golden mix, and one border collie/? mix. We didn't intend to have four and actually only wanted two, but due to our involvement with a service dog organization ended up with two more about two years ago. Your post is exactly what we also see on a daily basis. They all gravitate to my wife as she does agility with a couple of them and always has treats in her pockets. One of the labs is much older than the others and rules the roost. She can be cranky at times as well and they all respect her. Our 17 inches of snow this week has made for some interesting potty breaks for them. Anyway, thanks for the post.

Our 20 month old chocolate lab. Doesn't really have any of the problems mentioned above. Once in a while if we leave the paper towels on an end table she will destroy them but she knows outside is where to go to the bathroom and wait until we get home and let her out. Your problems seem like lack of training ( not your fault, older rescues can be tough) and old age crankiness. When I'm gone she goes into protective mode around the other half, any noise or thump and she's checking the house. We have her trained to check the windows and doors. She's a big gentle baby however if someone or something threatened the other half, they'd probably wish they hadn't.

Originally Posted By: dave123
I can not stand a dog in the house only cats.

Lol, I can't stand cats in the house! Their hair is everywhere and their poop stinks!

This to me is a VERY strange opinion. Cats can and do intrude on areas of the home that a dog could not. Not only that...but a litter box?? That is truly a nasty thing to have in a house. And just to be clear....I have two cats and two dogs.....all of them inside and part of our family.

Originally Posted By: andrewg

This to me is a VERY strange opinion. Cats can and do intrude on areas of the home that a dog could not. Not only that...but a litter box?? That is truly a nasty thing to have in a house. And just to be clear....I have two cats and two dogs.....all of them inside and part of our family.

I should make clear I do have three dogs that I love and part of my family just not in the house.

I should make clear I do have three dogs that I love and part of my family just not in the house.

I can see having a dog or two outside if the purpose of those dogs is one of utility....such as a trained guard dog, sled dogs, or something similar. But for me, I see a dog as a loving companion and a member of the family. And because of it's deep need to be an integral member of the 'pack' (family), I would never even think of excluding it from the house.
Almost nothing irritates me more than dog owners that buy a puppy and then within weeks chain the poor thing up in the backyard like a criminal. A dog often develops behavioral issues (of course) from such treatment. Even a fenced outdoor kennel can be a mini-prison for most breeds. Dogs desire to be an accepted part of the family and want nothing more than to protect the home and be welcomed into the house as a respected member.
Just my opinion and not trying to accuse or indict.

I cannot live without dogs. We have three. Two mixed medium small dorgs and one big cat. They work the pack mentality to a T. Cat has even learned to bark. Not loud, but he can mimic a bark.

They are part of the layered defense.

I can see having a dog or two outside if the purpose of those dogs is one of utility....such as a trained guard dog, sled dogs, or something similar. But for me, I see a dog as a loving companion and a member of the family. And because of it's deep need to be an integral member of the 'pack' (family), I would never even think of excluding it from the house.
Almost nothing irritates me more than dog owners that buy a puppy and then within weeks chain the poor thing up in the backyard like a criminal. A dog often develops behavioral issues (of course) from such treatment. Even a fenced outdoor kennel can be a mini-prison for most breeds. Dogs desire to be an accepted part of the family and want nothing more than to protect the home and be welcomed into the house as a respected member.

You are wrong but that is your opinion.

I agree 200%. There's nothing I hate more than seeing a dog chained up or kept outside in a cage. People like that have no business being animal owners.

Last edited:
By beloved Morgan, a 5 year old Tervuren Belgian Shepherd was struck in front of our house by a speeding hit and run driver last March.
Broke his back and other internal injuries, so I had no choice but to have the vet put him down.
The sense of loss could not be worse if it was my child.
A day doesn't go by without thinking of him.

Unfortunately the breeder I got him from has retired but Morgan's father, who is owned by a dog trainer had located a couple of breeders that were interested in having him sire a litter with but they've delayed their breeding plans. It would have been nice for sentimental reasons to have a half brother of Morgan but that is not looking likely in the near term. I've pretty much decided not to wait any longer and put my name down for a pup with a Terv' breeder that I like, so that hopefully I'll get a pup sometime this year.

Yes I'm very partial to the breed. It's not just beautiful but particularly smart and loyal.

Talking about what dogs eat non-food items. My dog ate an ankle sock and took a couple days to have him throw it up. In the days before puking it back up he acted like he was spaced out and didnt know what the heck was wrong until I watch the 3 minutes of him pumping his body and out comes a sock.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

I agree 200%. There's nothing I hate more than seeing a dog chained up or kept outside in a cage. People like that have no business being animal owners.

Yep, couldn't agree more. Makes you want to take that dog into the house and chain the humans up in a cage. Jerks.

My Airedale (Ripley) has eaten just about anything he can find that is of danger to him. I've done all I can to prevent him from doing this. In the end, I just need to keep the house "Ripley proof" as well as keeping a keen eye on him when outdoors. He's eaten wood, socks, shoes, plastic toys, a whole corn cob, tennis balls, prescription pills (accidentally dropped on the floor and scooped up by him before I could stop him), chicken bones, dead/rotting animals, and the list goes on. I've had to have two surgeries to remove objects in his belly. When he was a pup he had a severe hip problem (both sides). I could have either put him down, or get the surgeries done. Thousands of dollars later he has a weird walk...but he was fine. It's been a few years now and he's seemed to have stopped eating bad stuff....of that I am pleased. He's been a very good buddy and waits and watches by the sliding glass door for me whenever I leave the house. He's been worth all the money I've spent on him. Being twelve years old now he is nearing the end of his life. I'll miss him when he passes....immeasurably.

Originally Posted By: KB2008X

Yep, couldn't agree more. Makes you want to take that dog into the house and chain the humans up in a cage. Jerks.

Better yet taken outside and shot.

01.gif

Originally Posted By: KB2008X

Better yet taken outside and shot.

I think we know that you disagree with some of us Dave. No need to rattle the cage, is there?

When we got the middle-sized dog, he was very touchy about his ears. We later discovered that he had an infection or something that fills his ears with black stuff. I was able to get him to allow me to clean them, and now he loves to have his ears rubbed. We got some medicine from the vet that cleared it up, but now, a couple of years later, it seems to be coming back. It's not mites. I clean his ears from time to time with Q-tips, and boy does he tap his foot! It must itch terribly. Looks like time to go back to the vet.

One of our previous dogs, Daisy, was a chow/pit bull mix, as far as we could tell, and she had absolutely no sense of humor. The little chihuahua/rat terrier mix was with us then as now, and we tried giving them atomic fire balls once. The little dog tried one, spit it out, growled at it, tried it again, whacked it around with his paws and so on. Daisy just spit it on the ground and looked for something else to do.

I still miss Daisy. She wasn't too smart, but she had a lot of the dog stuff down. She would regularly get up and patrol the house at night, look out the windows, and go back to sleep. She was also probably the most loyal creature I've ever seen. I think she would have died for any of our family members, but only tolerated other people, except for my mother, who she had an instant rapport with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back