Dogs -_-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: andrewg
Almost nothing irritates me more than dog owners that buy a puppy and then within weeks chain the poor thing up in the backyard like a criminal. A dog often develops behavioral issues (of course) from such treatment. Even a fenced outdoor kennel can be a mini-prison for most breeds. Dogs desire to be an accepted part of the family and want nothing more than to protect the home and be welcomed into the house as a respected member.
Just my opinion and not trying to accuse or indict.

I agree 200%. There's nothing I hate more than seeing a dog chained up or kept outside in a cage. People like that have no business being animal owners.

Exactly....makes me wonder why they even buy them and spend money to feed them? I don't understand this at all. I have 2 80lb dogs....they are best and want inside very quickly after going out. Plus I think it should be criminal to leave dogs outside in the summer time in Florida. I could not stand to be outside all day long so I do not expect anybody else in my family to do it.....let alone not give them a choice.

So it's not just us then!
Ours eat socks and knickers and then throw them up again after a few hours.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
By beloved Morgan, a 5 year old Tervuren Belgian Shepherd was struck in front of our house by a speeding hit and run driver last March.
Broke his back and other internal injuries, so I had no choice but to have the vet put him down.
The sense of loss could not be worse if it was my child.
A day doesn't go by without thinking of him.

Unfortunately the breeder I got him from has retired but Morgan's father, who is owned by a dog trainer had located a couple of breeders that were interested in having him sire a litter with but they've delayed their breeding plans. It would have been nice for sentimental reasons to have a half brother of Morgan but that is not looking likely in the near term. I've pretty much decided not to wait any longer and put my name down for a pup with a Terv' breeder that I like, so that hopefully I'll get a pup sometime this year.

Yes I'm very partial to the breed. It's not just beautiful but particularly smart and loyal.

I'm with ya, bro. I have two German Shepherds and my neighbor has a Belgian and a Dutch Shep. Wouldn't have any other breed.

Last edited:
We have two American Bulldogs. A male and a female. The male is a mutt of an American bulldog, registered but no breeding history whatsoever. He's gorgeous, and perfectly healthy at sixish years old. My wife's has a lineage worth thousands. We picked her up from some very scary children of the corn type people in Pennsylvania for 200$ one night on a roadtrip. She and four littermates were left over at 16 weeks or so. She is only two, snow white, thinly built, and you can hear her joints creaking every time she gets up from s nap. I can hear the vet bills coming already.

What's odd, is that she's skittish. She's never been whipped or even bopped on the nose...but she's terrified of me. My male, who had been roughhoused with daily, gets slapped on the head rather than pet, and has been punched on more than one occasion because while he would never jump, if you're going to a wedding and wearing a tux he has to jump....isn't skittish at all. If you were Tp slap him across the face as hard as you could muster...the shoulders would drop the tail wags, and you get a great big puppy smile waiting to play. I'm reasonably sure that's related to their lack of a sense of pain than anything.

My male has destroyed one bra and one Machiavelli work in his life. The female...she couldn't.be left alone with a concrete statue. You'd come home to find the rocks, sand and dust in three separate piles.

Our dogs stay outside on their porch with a large fenced in yard all day (we live in a very rural area) when we get home they come in. They have their own loveseat, and their own piles of blankets in the bedroom.

While friendly they are only friendly to those coming in the house when I'm tell them the person is supposed to be there. At which time it's 100lb lapdog situations. Before that, it would either take someone bold, or someone who realizes dogs can sense when you're scared and aft accordingly, to walk into the front door.

If my wife was home alone and someone walked in, it would not end well if they were shifty or aggressive.

We also had a small three lb beagle puppy for a while. The female consider it her baby. The male would literally let him chew all over his head and face until their were puppy teeth holes everywhere. He never once corrected him...and to be honest loved when the little guy curled up next to his face. We free feed, and he unfortunately got bloat one day while we were at school. When we got home" HR didn't seem himself, and 10-15 minutes later as we were arranging to bring him to the vet, he went.

I really want another pup, but my wife's female teaches them to be skittish...so until she's gone, there can be only two.

Recently we have had issues with aggressive coyotes in the area...so until I get that taken care of, I have to go into the dogs yard with a gun/light at night for them to do their business. An annoyance I've never had to deal with...actually "walking" the dogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back