How do you defend yourself from stray dogs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Idiot people with low intellect usually go for the bully breeds and 9/10 times it ends badly.

A 6 year old kid was just mauled abd KILLED in Texas by none other than the "lovable" pit bull. Idiot owners with idiot breeds.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Originally Posted By: GiveMeAVowel
Originally Posted By: Kestas
Wouldn't pepper spray be most appropriate in these cases?

No, because first if you don't get the spray positioned perfectly it won't be very effective, and in many cases it will actually increase the aggressiveness of the dog. Secondly when you kill that problem animal the problem of that animal goes away, FOREVER.

Now that I think of it I don't think killing a dog would be good for my customer base since most of them have dogs. Probably just stick with pepper spray. Never thought about using pepper spray.

I can hear it now!

I overseeded, trimmed your japanese maple , planted some loriape, and oh I forgot to mention, I buried your dog over there next to the shed. That will be $500 please.

LMAO! You're actually not allowed to bury animals in the city for some reason.

Edge of a clip board to the nose for some reason works real well. I always carry one in the boonies if approaching homes.

What you do is get a shovel. Hold the shovel by the steel sleeve that wraps around the handle with one hand; blade pointing downward. Put your other hand behind you on the wood handle. Hold that shovel up to the dog's nose. There's nothing he can do with that shovel in his face.

Using some very strong Bear spray and carrying an Irish Black Thorn stick is the only thing that worked for me in the past. Plenty of stray dogs in my hood especially in the winter time. I keep both with me when I go walking on the boardwalk. Most stray dogs are looking for a handout or a warm safe place to stay while others are just in attack mode when in a pack.

Last edited:
they stroll right up to me and bark like crazy 3 feet away from me. I know it's the equipment that makes them act the way they do.

Barking is not attacking..

If you know the noise from the mower is bothering them use your brain and idle down or shut it off for a few moments?! Instead of asking if you have a right to kill someones Poodle.

Where do you people live? I rarely see a stray dog, never one I need to defend myself from.

Now that I think of it I don't think killing a dog would be good for my customer base since most of them have dogs. Probably just stick with pepper spray. Never thought about using pepper spray.

That's really a legitimate concern to have. If you shoot someone's crazy dog and it goes all over the news, there's no telling how much it will mess up your business, especially if it goes "viral." Could be a real headache.

Hold your arm out like bait. Let it bite onto your forearm. Then wrap your other arm around the back of its head like you're hugging it, then simply fall forward on the ground. It should let go the moment its neck snaps. My only childhood trauma was cause by my neighbors dogs chasing me. They had two white German Shepherds. They terrorized me and the rest of the neighborhood. One day i decided i was tired of running from them. I'm the type of person who will pick up a bug and put it outside, but nothing felt better than snuffing the life out of that dog.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
Hold your arm out like bait. Let it bite onto your forearm. Then wrap your other arm around the back of its head like you're hugging it, then simply fall forward on the ground. It should let go the moment its neck snaps. My only childhood trauma was cause by my neighbors dogs chasing me. They had two white German Shepherds. They terrorized me and the rest of the neighborhood. One day i decided i was tired of running from them. I'm the type of person who will pick up a bug and put it outside, but nothing felt better than snuffing the life out of that dog.

Too bad you couldn't have done the same to the dog's owner. I have experienced plenty of psychotic dog owners that actually enjoy letting their vicious dogs threaten and attack innocent people and neighbors who were doing nothing but minding their own business.

This is why the laws need to change, and a dog should be able to be considered a "deadly weapon" no different than a gun.

Last edited:
I got dog bit by a dog trained by the junkyard owner in "Stand by Me".

What they say about needing 21 feet of reaction time to draw your CCW is true for dogs too. He was barking and then RIGHT THERE. Got me in a public street, felt I was threatening his owner's property. What I was actually doing was loudly commanding the owner to "call off your dog". The owner was just beside herself that fluffy "never acted that way".

After he chomped down, I became a tripod. It's hard to fight a dog that's part of your balance. Lifting against or bearing down further on a critter that's attached at the crotch is painful. Fortunatly, cujo got bored and backed off after drawing blood.

I don't know how as a landscaper you'd casually carry a bashing shovel around doing your regular duties. Maybe a folding baton would work. Are these properties where the owner is away during the day and you show yourself in?

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Where do you people live? I rarely see a stray dog, never one I need to defend myself from.
in the real world U.S.

I live in the country and everyone seems to have at least one monster that loves to come running out onto the road, hackles up and all.

The next trip by that farm or house, I will have a treat like the fat off a steak. Now I buy a 50 lb. bag of dog food about once a month for all of my fine four legged friends.

Last edited:
I haven't seen a stray dog in years to be honest. The last time a dog went after me it didn't end well for the dog. I was riding a bike and a big Shepard broke his leash and came after me. I had a tennis racket in a bike carrier and was able to grab it. I smashed the dog dead on into his snout, lucky blow?, well placed?, whatever. He went down for the count. I continued my ride home shaken up a bit but unharmed.

Given you either own or represent a business there are some idiotic responses talking about shooting/killing the dog here.

My guess with majority of dogs either a dog treat(FedEx approach) or some repellent works.

Good luck.

In Canada they sell strong pepper spray at Canadian Tire for dogs.

If you are a jogger, definately carry some and keep it handy.

Even if you bike, those to activities pull something primal out of a lot of "friendly" dogs.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Never had that problem here. The 2 legged critters are a much bigger problem
Now that is the truth, the 2 legged idiots is what I would watch for,,,Google - Floyd Lee Cook, some his work just happen 8 miles from our house...in Tennessee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back