Wife and Dogs attacked by 2 boxers and a Pitbull!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A dog reflects it's owner. Even pitbulls, if well trained and socialized, can be a family dog. But then you have people like this who keep 2 large dogs in a small kennel all day. It's similar to what happens with some people in prison - they just lose it.

Glad your wife is OK, hopefully the irresponsible neighbors come to some sort of realization of what they have caused. Some people are so effin dumb, I have no idea how they even get by in this mad world.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
Pablo...You are way 2 nice....I would give anything to have a neighbor as nice as you living next door to me.

We try. That was a time we pretty much put out of mind....dog doesn't seem to have any unreasonable fears at this point.

My parents walk their dogs frequently and I bought my mom a can of pepper spray. A fairly large can of military spec spray. I recommend it to anyone for situations like this. A gun could also be needed but this stuff if so strong that an ex g/f of mine had some and tested it against a piece of cardboard in her house and her, her sister, and her dog all had to leave the house for 2 hours.

Originally Posted By: mcrn
My parents walk their dogs frequently and I bought my mom a can of pepper spray. A fairly large can of military spec spray. I recommend it to anyone for situations like this.

+1

Originally Posted By: mcrn
My parents walk their dogs frequently and I bought my mom a can of pepper spray. A fairly large can of military spec spray. I recommend it to anyone for situations like this. A gun could also be needed but this stuff if so strong that an ex g/f of mine had some and tested it against a piece of cardboard in her house and her, her sister, and her dog all had to leave the house for 2 hours.

Be careful with this spray. Some dogs may not react and a blow back will incapacitate the user.

Thanks Pablo.. WE are using a Lawyer and the dogowners home owners insurance to recover our losses and then some, we are also contacting the AKC to revoke the owners preiveledge to register puppies, and we are contacting the USDA to investigate the breeding of dogs in our neighborhood. Fun!

Wow.

My wife was bitten by the neighbours crazy rescue Great Dane. She was there to make a donation to the GD Rescue, and was holding a Schnauser puppy when the dog bit. The neighbour knew the dog was bad, but lied about it after the fact.

I hate reading this kind of thing.
Dogs should be loyal family companions, and a properly treated dog is not ususally a threat to anyone.
Our last dog was a Great Pyrenees.
Now, a Pyrenees is a great family member, and has great presence.
A Pyrenees will also die willingly protecting its people, but that is what it was bred for (actually for protecting a flock), and the dog has the size and the strength to deal with any little pit bull or boxer, even more than one (a Shepard is small next to a Great Pyrenees). Also, it is hard for most dogs to actually bite a Pyr, since they have a very thick coat, which they shed like crazy all year long.
Now, my wife was attacked twice while walking our Pyrenees, once by a Shepard and once by a Rottweiler. Our dog took care of both, but what if we had had a small dog?
Also, in both instances, the local police were completely apathetic.
You really can't blame the dogs, though.
It is really the fault of the dogs' owners.
It is one thing to have acreage in the country, and let the dogs roam.
It is quite another to have dogs penned up in the back yard.
Dogs were no more meant to spend their lives in a pen than were you and I.

Agreed. If I had more space I would not mind having some larger dogs. (my dogs are great for the house but make poor backcountry hiking/running companions and other than being first alert barkers provide little else in terms of security. I don't have the space to properly take care of one at this time. My teen pounder dogs requyire a bit of exercise and a large dog would require alot of work to feel like I am not being neglectfull.

Originally Posted By: bigmike
Pitbulls are Banned in Miami Dade County.

I don't understand people who have Pitbulls with small children around...There has been numerous attacks on infants in Broward County involving Pitbulls that made me sick.

Don't generalize. Yes, there are alot of pitt bull attacks but they are not what the media makes them out to be. Mine is friendly and a very social animal. I would and have trusted her completely around elderly and young.

99% of brutal dog attacks are by pit bulls...Several attacked mail people this year and every year for that matter...Pit bulls make to news very often.

I have 2 friends who each have pit bulls..They seem friendly enough but experts claim [on the local news awhile ago] that pit bulls can all of sudden go crazy for no reason and attack...Thats what happened to a lot of people down here...A lot of children were attacked by them...The owners of those pit bulls all said their dogs were good dogs and never showed any signs of aggression.

I know this is going to fall on deaf ears to pit bull lovers.

A friend of mine was attacked by a pit bull in Miami-Dade last year [some people sneak them in] had to spend time in the hospital because of it...The cops tried to locate the owner but were unsuccessful..The dog was put down...My friend had to take a ton of shots...Now he panics when he sees any dog bigger then a Shih Tzu.

Again, DO NOT GENERALIZE. Apparently deaf ears is something you need to concern yourself with as well!

According to research by Karen Delise, the author of "Fatal Dog Attacks: The Stories Behind the Statistics," 21 percent of the 431 fatal dog attacks between 1965 and 2001 were carried out by "pit bull and pit bull-type dogs."

21% is not 99%. I'm a statistician and this kind of idiocy drives me nuts.

The other major problem is pitt-bull type dogs - do you realize how many breeds people mistakenly call "pitt bulls?"

http://www.understand-a-bull.com/Articles/MistakenIdentity/WrongId.htm

bigmike said:
21% is not 99%. I'm a statistician and this kind of idiocy drives me nuts.quote]

bigmike, I agree about the generalization stuff, but you kind of broke your own rule. The 21% refers to fatalities according to your post. So, I imagine the percent of all attacks by pit bulls is higher than 21%, but not close to 99%. Maybe.

This site has some numbers:

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/PAGES/statistics.html

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
bigmike said:
21% is not 99%. I'm a statistician and this kind of idiocy drives me nuts.quote]

bigmike, I agree about the generalization stuff, but you kind of broke your own rule. The 21% refers to fatalities according to your post. So, I imagine the percent of all attacks by pit bulls is higher than 21%, but not close to 99%. Maybe.

This site has some numbers:

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/PAGES/statistics.html

The terminology was "brutal attacks" so I had to assume we're talking about fatalities. I'm sure that the numbers may be higher for overall attacks - from a person being chased to a person actually suffering death. It's a broad definition when referencing an "attack." It's a shame anyone would be attacked by a dog, but typically the owner is the culprit of the behaviour to begin with.

The real problem is people's perception of reality. Perception, of course, has nothing to do with the reality.

I find gross generalizations are usually rooted with ignorance and I'm repulsed by it. It's the same reasoning people use that are racist, etc.

Dogs like to do nothing better than to attack other dogs ,I have owned plenty and while all may not be agressive ,that is what they like to do. It is not a civilized world and some kind of protection should always be carried whether a gun or some pepper spray even a big stick .We have been brought up to be oblivious ,it is not a good thing.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Dogs like to do nothing better than to attack other dogs...

and chase me on my bicycle. It's the little ones that scare me most.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I hate reading this kind of thing.
Dogs should be loyal family companions, and a properly treated dog is not ususally a threat to anyone.
Our last dog was a Great Pyrenees.
Now, a Pyrenees is a great family member, and has great presence.
A Pyrenees will also die willingly protecting its people, but that is what it was bred for (actually for protecting a flock), and the dog has the size and the strength to deal with any little pit bull or boxer, even more than one (a Shepard is small next to a Great Pyrenees). Also, it is hard for most dogs to actually bite a Pyr, since they have a very thick coat, which they shed like crazy all year long.
Now, my wife was attacked twice while walking our Pyrenees, once by a Shepard and once by a Rottweiler. Our dog took care of both, but what if we had had a small dog?
Also, in both instances, the local police were completely apathetic.
You really can't blame the dogs, though.
It is really the fault of the dogs' owners.
It is one thing to have acreage in the country, and let the dogs roam.
It is quite another to have dogs penned up in the back yard.
Dogs were no more meant to spend their lives in a pen than were you and I.

Yup, I agree. We have a Newfoundland. He is almost a year old now, 110lbs. He hasn't started to fill out yet, and is 31" at the shoulder. Newfs are one of the most affectionate and docile breeds out there. But will readily die for their family if they have to.

When he was about 6 months old, we were walking through a local park and came upon a man walking his Rottweiler. Belvedere was already taller than this dog, and, being a pup didn't have a CLUE as to the "dominance rules" or the like. This dog was growling at him and put its muzzle on his shoulder, trying to push him down. He is strong as an Ox and just stared at this dog with a look that was saying "what are you doing??" The Rottie of course did not respond well to him not submitting and when I told the owner he was only a puppy and that he had no CLUE what was going on, he managed to drag his dog away, still growling and snarling and remarking that he was going to be a HUGE dog, I agreed but stated that he would be very passive.... Had to get a dig in
wink.gif
Those are the types of dogs I dislike.

Our Newf, when approaching another dog is ALWAYS friendly. Tail wagging, and clearly just curious. He is never aggressive. So I have to disagree with another poster who said all dogs behave this way. For that is clearly not the case. There are MANY breeds of gentle dogs. But dogs are often a reflection of the image their owner wishes to project. Which, as stated by another poster, is why Pit-bulls seem to attract the bad owners. Guys and girls that want to project the "tough guy" image. And that is sad.

We have a small yard. But our belief is that our dog is a family member, just like our cat. The cat hates the dog, the dog loves the cat, and both are sitting beside me right now; cat enjoying the heat of my UPS, dog at my feet. He just likes to be around us. He gets walked, though not as frequently as I would like to, and gets the periodic stint of free time when we go to my buddy's camp, where he plays with their dogs and can run freely until he is exhausted. He is treated like a family member, as they all should be.

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
Originally Posted By: Steve S
Dogs like to do nothing better than to attack other dogs...

and chase me on my bicycle. It's the little ones that scare me most.

some dogs like nothing better than to chase bikes.!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back