Attacked by Dog Yesterday While Bike Riding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: clinebarger

Exactly, A Dog will only attack if YOU let them, Stand your ground & they run away.

!

Nope. I've personally been bitten by a vicious dog, probably trained to be a guard dog, that was obviously not on its own property, and on a public street. The dog approached quickly I slowed down and stopped trying calmly talking to it. Didn't do a thing the animal went for my leg and bit down hard. I also know of a number of other people who have had the same happen to them. They did what you are supposed to do and the dogs still bit them.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Mace won't prevent future attacks, killing the animal will.

Really? I want you to go bite a skunk! Then I want you to go bite a skunk again, a week later!

Report back to me the results...

I drifted a large chunk of asphalt into the head of a particularly vicious dog many years back. In fact I recall recounting the story in a thread not all that long ago. And while the dog didn't attack ME anymore, it would still attack people on bikes. And then somebody shot it.

Originally Posted By: Kuato

Say I have a problem with a guy at a 711 who picks a fight with me. I decide that next time I go to that 711, I will take my gun and shoot him if he starts another fight. The point you missed is that OP, while he certainly has the right to ride there again, would be escalating the situation by taking a gun with intent to shoot. Note that this does not in any way change the dog owner's responsibility.

One problem with that scenario, we are talking about an
"animal" not a human being.

Simply put that dog is not worth the same as a human life.
wink.gif

Sigh. I'll try again. It is the intent of the person bringing the gun that makes it right or wrong.

I agree that an animal does not compare to a person.

Originally Posted By: mahansm
Dawg jist naturally hates a bicycle; they'll chase one every chance they git. Can't break 'em of it, neither.

Not every breed does, but certainly mine does. They see you as an aggressive predator because you are moving fast at them or their general direction, that's why dogs attack in general...

I think that needs to be kept in mind somewhat, irresponsible owners or not...

I can tell you, that wasn't the case in this situation. This dog was trained to be vicious. He didn't see me as a threat...he was being aggressive because I was a stranger and he'd been trained to be vicious towards strangers.

Most dogs will not attack when dismounted, and if they do, then by all means shoot them in self defense. But that should be the absolute last resort...

There is no way to tell, plenty of dogs attack peds walking slowly or stopped in their tracks.

Where? When? Adults? No, not really. It's very rare that this happens...

Well, my previous next-door neighbor, who was an irresponsible dog owner, let her big dogs run free. One day, my adult neighbor who lives across the street, was walking down the sidewalk on his side of the road, when my next-door neighbor's dog ran across the road, and bit him badly in the leg.

No provocation, no reason for this supposedly "trained, gentle and loving" dog to attack anyone.

The offending dog should have been put down. But the neighbor who was attacked was also a dog owner, and couldn't bring themselves to push for that. He did however sue and win a large judgement against the negligent next-door neighbor for medical expenses, and pain and suffering.

If the OP chooses to ride his bike on a public road, and a dog that isn't lawfully confined to it's property attacks, the OP has every right to defend himself by any means necessary.

Exactly, A Dog will only attack if YOU let them, Stand your ground & they run away.

!

Nope. I've personally been bitten by a vicious dog, probably trained to be a guard dog, that was obviously not on its own property, and on a public street. The dog approached quickly I slowed down and stopped trying calmly talking to it. Didn't do a thing the animal went for my leg and bit down hard. I also know of a number of other people who have had the same happen to them. They did what you are supposed to do and the dogs still bit them.

I said STAND YOUR GROUND, Not try to talk to the animal calmly, That will get you bitten!

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
Here is some wisdom...

When I ride my bike and come across a "chaser" or a growler. The FIRST thing I do, is GET OFF THE BIKE! You simply walk your bike past the residence, keeping the bike between you and the animal.

Also don't make eye contact, or show your teeth. Talk cutesy. ...

Exactly, this should work and is recommended by bicyclists since dogs don't see the person on the bike as a person, but as part of the noisy machine they're nervous about.

Since you plan on riding that hill frequently, have you given any thought to going over and making friends with the dog? A short visit or two with the owner in attendance, and some dog treats will probably go a very long way to defusing the situation.

Having owned dogs for many years, IMO the dog that got into it with the one that bit you was telling him it was not cool to do that, in a dog way. Can't say that the owner is or is not encouraging them to be vicious.

Gun? Sorry, not for this situation. Shooting a dog that's protecting its owner and home because you want to ride that hill? Reverse the situation my man...would it be fair for the same to be done to you? (Not saying you're an irresponsible dog owner)

That wouldn't work with this dog. Unfortunately the owner is a jerk and has trained the dog to aggressively confront strangers.

I'm a responsible dog owner. I don't have one currently, but when I did, I didn't let her run loose, and certainly would never have tolerated her chasing down cyclists and attacking them. If she did, she would get the beating of her life.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Some people love their dogs more than most people i happen to be one of them. If someone shot my dog it would turn bad quick. but on the other hand my dogs don't go after anyone for no reason they are well trained.

The real question is not whether or not the dog is under your control, and not able to threaten or attack an innocent bystander on a public thoroughfare.

Again some folks are refusing to accept that when a person is on public access thoroughfares it is NOT their private property, and as such they are NOT allowed to decide access or what is the obligation of the bystander, it is the dog owners obligation and legal responsibility to do whatever it takes to prevent their dog from (threatening/attacking/contacting) those on public roads and sidewalks.

Nobody wants to shoot and kill an animal, however if that animal is threatening a person on public roads or sidewalks they have every right to eliminate that threat or attack. Worse if the dog owner retaliates with force, they would be guilty of a
felony.

The simplest solution is to ride somewhere else. Yes, people have a right to ride on public roads. But simply returning to the same place, with a gun this time and intent to shoot the dog, is simply wrong. It is a premeditated action and fails to use common sense whatsoever.

The aim should be to DE escalate the situation, not dangerously escalate it.

Bro, you must not understand the definition of "premeditated." Let me explain something to you - it's got nothing to do with self-defense.

As I told the dog's owner, it's a public road and I have every right to use it.

I'm not the type to be intimidated.

Most dogs will not attack when dismounted, and if they do, then by all means shoot them in self defense. But that should be the absolute last resort...

This dog will.

It attempted to charge again when I returned and dismounted to have a word with the owner.

I had to defend myself against a second attack by hollering and swinging the bicycle at it.

The simplest solution is to ride somewhere else. Yes, people have a right to ride on public roads. But simply returning to the same place, with a gun this time and intent to shoot the dog, is simply wrong. It is a premeditated action and fails to use common sense whatsoever.

Legally what you say will NOT hold up in a court. The dog owner,
NOT the bystander is responsible, it doesn't matter if he returns to ride there, it is his right to do so unfettered, the law is on his side, if the dog owner does not control the animal in a repeat scenario it shows gross negligence. The rider would have no issue terminating the dog, the authorities will simply tell the dog owner, "YOU were responsible, and the death of the animal is
YOUR fault."

^ Couldn't have said it better myself.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
The owner

I guess you think your superior to him, But your fragile A$$ couldn't take a Dog bite...

If the OP is a responsible dog owner, and doesn't let his dog run free and attack random people on public property, then he most definitely IS superior to the negligent dog owner.

There is no way to tell, plenty of dogs attack peds walking slowly or stopped in their tracks.

Bottom line is that the dog owner is responsible in this kind of situation for all consequences.

I said before you have to make sure you have a clear shot before shooting the animal. It would seem that it is a very rural area, and sparsely populated with not much chance of having others nearby. Like another poster said, it is LUDICROUS that the
asinine dog owner has the unmitigated gall to tell the OP to
not come up that public road. This is the problem with many people today, they are forking insane.
crackmeup2.gif

Exactly...

Another factor at play here is that many people around here DON'T like cyclists. They are irritated by bicycles on the roads...especially serious cyclists who ride the skinny-tire road bikes like I do. Before the dog got me yesterday, I was also flipped off by a woman in a Cadillac, and honked-at by a pickup truck driver for nothing more than "getting in their way." This was despite the fact that I was as close to the right side of the street as possible, in an attempt to stay out of the way.

Not sure where this hatred of bicycles comes from...most people ride bicycles when they're kids, then give it up when they reach driving age (as I did, then I got back into it a few years ago for fun and fitness). I don't know why they start hating bicyclists, when they themselves, more than likely, had a lot of fun riding when they were younger.

The only thing I can think of is that they are annoyed by the 10-second inconvenience if they can't pass right that second. I can't imagine that sort of impatience, myself. If you're that impatient, you really need to stop and take a deep breath and try to enjoy living life.

Either way, one has to dismount. The OP was bitten because he "ran away" and showed weakness. How will shooting a dog make a difference in that situation?

WRONG

Legally what you say will NOT hold up in a court. The dog owner,
NOT the bystander is responsible, it doesn't matter if he returns to ride there, it is his right to do so unfettered, the law is on his side, if the dog owner does not control the animal in a repeat scenario it shows gross negligence. The rider would have no issue terminating the dog, the authorities will simply tell the dog owner, "YOU were responsible, and the death of the animal is
YOUR fault."

While I realize that the dog owner can be held responsible for his animals, you need to realize something too.

Say I have a problem with a guy at a 711 who picks a fight with me. I decide that next time I go to that 711, I will take my gun and shoot him if he starts another fight. The point you missed is that OP, while he certainly has the right to ride there again, would be escalating the situation by taking a gun with intent to shoot. Note that this does not in any way change the dog owner's responsibility.

I said nothing of the law in my post. A right or wrong action is right or wrong, regardless of what would occur in court. Committing a crime because you know you can get awa y with it - guess what -- it is still a crime.

Wrong-headed...

I have the right to defend myself against any aggressor...whether human or otherwise, who tries to cause me serious bodily harm or threatens my very life.

NOT my responsibility to ALTER my life - the idiot dog owner is impinging on my personal freedom if he does not contain the dog. As I've already explained, the dog has been trained to be vicious, and is a danger to people.

By the way - your 7/11 example...I don't back down from bullies either. The only thing a bully understands is STRENGTH. You back down from a bully once, he'll continue to take advantage.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
The owner

I guess you think your superior to him, But your fragile A$$ couldn't take a Dog bite...

Um, hey, tough guy - I turned around, went back, and confronted the dog and its owner.

Why don't you try a little reading comprehension?

Had my son bitten in the back by a large neighbor dog when he was just walking home, then a grand daughter bitten on her rear end by another neighbor dog who has been out and she has rode her bike by so many times.
Both cases the dogs have never been a problem to any of the kids before. The one that got the grand daughter was always a calm dog laying in the yard usually. Owners were shocked themselves when their dogs for no known reason decided to chase down and bite my grand daughter. It has never shown any attempt to chase a bike before.
Anyway we called the dog pound each case and they contacted the dog owners then informed us they were up on shots. Don't know what they communicated, but we never saw either dog out front again unleashed.
I had to take my son in for medical care because the large dog tore into his back. They knew it was a dog attack and also had some form I had to complete so they would then perform medical care.
I would at minimum report it, and never take the dog owners word that the dog is okay on shots. I know another case (a friend) where a dog bit him and the owner lied about the dog being up on shots.
Myself, I'd been attacked a couple times (years ago) and I just pounded back on the dogs as they were big dogs. I was a lot younger back then too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back