Asphalt shingle roof

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Could you explain how the ridge venting is suppose to work? Mine seemed to not work very well at all, at times capturing the air blowing over them and pushing hot air out the gable ends.

Hot air rises. Think of a soda bottle, turn it upside down, the liquid inside will slowly bubble out. Put a hole at the end of the soda bottle, the liquid will come out pretty quickly. Same with a ridge vent. There's an opening at the top. But you need air flow in order for the heat to exit. That's what the soffit venting is for. No soffit venting means that the ridge vent isn't really working to its full potential. It's possible that you don't have enough.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Could you explain how the ridge venting is suppose to work? Mine seemed to not work very well at all, at times capturing the air blowing over them and pushing hot air out the gable ends.

Hot air rises. Think of a soda bottle, turn it upside down, the liquid inside will slowly bubble out. Put a hole at the end of the soda bottle, the liquid will come out pretty quickly. Same with a ridge vent. There's an opening at the top. But you need air flow in order for the heat to exit. That's what the soffit venting is for. No soffit venting means that the ridge vent isn't really working to its full potential. It's possible that you don't have enough.
You could smell the hot air coming out the gable ends on windy days. I always thought that the ridge vent acts like a venturi in a carburetor and the air flowing over it would suck air out.

The ridge vent on mine is something of a foam contraption--like a lousy filter. I wonder if your gable vents represent less air restriction; or if your ridge vent has too many obstructions in the way.

Of course, on a hot day it could just be that much heat needs to get out of the attic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back