Roof Replacement

Too funny.. and frightening.

A fellow shift-mate of mine had Erie give him a quote on the fancy metal/shingle "lifetime" roof. His estimate was also $80K. His home is ~2000sq/feet. This is in the Buffalo NY area.

He wound up having a local company tear off and replace with 50yr architectural shingles. It cost him around $16K.

Are there really blue collar-ish folks that are going to bite on an $80K roof? His house was a $120K home 10yrs ago.

It might make more sense to some to spend $80K on a lifetime roof than for a depreciating asset like a full size 4x4 crew cab pickup or Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit. Plenty of folks willing to pony up for high end sports cars and luxury SUVs, regardless of today's economy. That behavior is still keeping new vehicle selling prices above MSRP.

It might make more sense to some to spend $80K on a lifetime roof than for a depreciating asset like a full size 4x4 crew cab pickup or Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit. Plenty of folks willing to pony up for high end sports cars and luxury SUVs, regardless of today's economy. That behavior is still keeping new vehicle selling prices above MSRP.
I agree with that. Problem is, it's easier and "cheaper" to the average consumer to finance that $80K pickup truck than secure the money for an $80K roof I would think.

For sure. I just had a decent sized cottonwood. Nothing crazy, and a smaller maple tree right up next to it cut down, shredded and hauled away. $2400. I had similar work done 10yrs with a MASSIVE cottonwood and a smaller maple for $1K. When the fella gave me the estimate for this job, he told me his minimum charge is $1K. He can't afford to haul his equipment and people over for less than that. Sadly, I get it with the times we are in.
We had a 65 y.o. maple fall in 2019....5 quotes were around $2.5k...out of nowhere one comes back $1200 and I had already booked one at $2200. This was 2019.....went with the low bidder and even used a $100 Val Pak coupon....

Back in 2017 $40k bought an advanced treatment septic system with a drip irrigation drainfield sized to handle 600 gallons per day.
It's amazing how pricing varies on septic systems. Much of the time you don't have a choice due to your specific property. I always suggest to new home buyers that they take this into consideration.

In 2011, a new sand filter system, gravity/natural drain with 1000gal tank and ~300+ feet of outflow pipe cost me just over $8K. I had estimates that ranged from ~$21K to ~$7K. I was a home I just sold and the septic didn't pass the county health dept dye test so I could sell the house. It wasn't worth trying a repair so I had it replaced.

In 2011, a new sand filter system, gravity/natural drain with 1000gal tank and ~300+ feet of outflow pipe cost me just over $8K. I had estimates that ranged from ~$21K to ~$7K. I was a home I just sold and the septic didn't pass the county health dept dye test so I could sell the house. It wasn't worth trying a repair so I had it replaced.

The $40k system has 2 pumps, 2 control panels (one of which has a Siemens LOGO PLC in it), a power subpanel, 3 tanks (including a treatment pod/tank), a UV disinfection light, and probably close to 4000 feet of drip irrigation tubing, arranged in two irrigation zones controlled by the PLC. Given the cost of living being 150% of the national average in this area, you would expect that system to cost less elsewhere.

Reactions: JTK
I had the roof replaced on my 1,300 square ft house in Dec of 2019 and it was $13,500. This was a complete single layer removal and some rafter and decking replacement as well as new gutters on the back side of the house since I had them remove the fireplace casing that stuck up past the roof. They used Owning Corning shingles, but I don't remember which ones at the moment.

I had the roof replaced on my 1,300 square ft house in Dec of 2019 and it was $13,500. This was a complete single layer removal and some rafter and decking replacement as well as new gutters on the back side of the house since I had them remove the fireplace casing that stuck up past the roof. They used Owning Corning shingles, but I don't remember which ones at the moment.
Again, not good news for us as house is same size…..and your timing was pre pandemic…

This is not a comparable price against a basic roof job.

Tear off a single layer and put back architectural 30 or 50 year shingles from OC, GAF or Certainteed is not "some rafter and decking replacement as well as gutters". The rafter and decking was probably done by a separate crew that was called in, causing a significant expense.

BTW, I looked at roof shingles in the 1/3 square bundles at HD on Saturday for material pricing, GAF's Timberline Architectural shingle (30 year warranty) were $45/each for $130/aquare.

My all-in pricing for single layer tear off, new underlayment, new drip edge, flashing, ridge vent and 50 year Owens-Corning shingles was $400-475/square.

BTW, I looked at roof shingles in the 1/3 square bundles at HD on Saturday for material pricing, GAF's Timberline Architectural shingle (30 year warranty) were $45/each for $130/aquare.

My all-in pricing for single layer tear off, new underlayment, new drip edge, flashing, ridge vent and 50 year Owens-Corning shingles was $400-475/square.
Is the most expensive part of replacing a roof the removal and disposal of the old shingles?

We were at the 15 year mark on our 3000 sq ft home which we purchased new, Single tab shingles were starting to look "sad" and knew that day was coming. Then also the flooring was starting to look tired, appliances too .. even though the house was mint.

So last August we decided to sell the house and move to another new one! *LOL* New location too down near the coast, a bit smaller but nicer in a way now that the kids are grown and life of their own. At the time I was calculating a roof at 15k, flooring 10k, appliances and kitchen counter at roughly 10k or so, new AC unit for main floor and new heat pump for 2nd floor possibly around 17k and figured we would be around 50k to make our house new again...
oh wait, and also have someone come in to repaint, getting older now and could not figure out how I was going to paint some rooms with ceilings as high as 16 feet. So just add that on to the total.

Reading this stuff about roofs and now adding this up, we made a good move. Sold the house the first weekend we listed it, at the highest selling price ever in our community and for above the asking price with multiple offers. That by the way was during the talk of all the gloom and doom in the real estate market. Oct 2022, Closed Nov 2022.

Reactions: GON
Is the most expensive part of replacing a roof the removal and disposal of the old shingles?

Labor in general? It's a huge component. I'd say the average roofer labor rate is $30/hour around here. I'd say on the average house, you have a 9-10 person crew, working 12 hours. That's $7000 in labor/payroll/insurance/etc. for the day. One quote listed my house at 45 squares, so materials are about $8000 when you include all the accessories/etc. A dumpster is about $500 when you factor in towing it in, hauling it and emptying it.

Throw in some project management, overhead, etc and it's right on the money at $18,000 for my house, which was the lower end of pricing. I felt this was the best product from a company that was competitive with quality/etc. to the one who was the highest, with the lowest quality shingle, but they are the biggest name around.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
This is not a comparable price against a basic roof job.

Tear off a single layer and put back architectural 30 or 50 year shingles from OC, GAF or Certainteed is not "some rafter and decking replacement as well as gutters". The rafter and decking was probably done by a separate crew that was called in, causing a significant expense.
I guess I should have clarified some more. they cut the end off two rafters and nailed a replacement section to it. The decking that was replaced was on either side of where the chimney casing was and a section where the casing originally was.

The price to do that part was around $1,500 including the section of gutter. The same crew did all of the work. The price quoted before they found the damage to the decking and my decision to have the fireplace casing removed was around $12K.

Back