New Roofing Question

A co worker of mine had Erie Metal give him an estimate for his ranch style home with a around a 30sq roof. It was over $60K. He had an outfit do a tear-off and re-do with 50yr shingles for $27k. This included all new plywood.

A co worker of mine had Erie Metal give him an estimate for his ranch style home with a around a 30sq roof. It was over $60K. He had an outfit do a tear-off and re-do with 50yr shingles for $27k. This included all new plywood.
I guess we now know why most go with the thin metal roofs...ouch 😆

• Haha
Reactions: JTK
metal_roofing.jpg
When I think of a metal roof, I'm thinking of the longer sheet style.

I guess we now know why most go with the thin metal roofs...ouch 😆
Right? Lol. I had an Amish metal roof put on my home 4yrs ago. I forget the gauge of the steel, but it's not the lowest end stuff. The whole job was very inexpensive at the time relatively speaking. Given I live in the snow belt, I had to have additional snow/ice rails installed as the sliding snow will take everything with it, such as your plumbing vents and any penetration in general. I now have snow rails every 10ft which doesn't look great and holds leaves and sticks, but it is what it is.

My only issue with metal roofing is that it makes your roof slippery. At least with shingle roofs you don't have this issue. If I had to go on a metal roof I would want a permanently mounted stainless steel anchor point and a harness. I got on the roof at least once per your for my inspections and I do my own repairs.
but being slippery is great for snow to come off...

Just went down this road thanks to my insurance company. Nothing wrong with the roof, but received a letter from my homeowners saying my roof was nearing 15 years old, and the wouldn't renew my insurance unless it was changed.
I decided to use Atlas Pinnacle (Pristine), asphalt architectural shingles.
These are Miami Dade rated for 130 mph wind resistance, and contain Scothguard to prevent mold growth. 16 colors available.
Florida code also requires renailing the roof deck every 6 inches with S/S ring shank nails. And 5 S/S nails per shingle.
Roof deck must be fully covered with rubber roofing (peel and stick).
So, $16,000.00 later I have a nice new roof which I will probably be required to replace in 15 years (or less)!

I don't know what the insurance coverage would be like for a metal roof.
I would have liked to install the metal shingles , but $16 G was enough for me to swallow at this point.

I don't care for the look of metal roofing on a single story home, 2 Story, OK, but not one story, which mine is.

Shingles and associated underlayment are usually the cheapest part of a quote, the tear off and install labour and then the double overcharge business profit is the expensive piece.
I was seeing $200 per hour per guy and they were sub-contracted from So. America,
Rabbit Rich is getting lazy, the owner didn't even show up on site to oversee the job. A roving comtracted supervisor, who was the original estimator, came by a couple times to check on things. Nice guy.

I just multi-quoted and had 2/3rds my roof done last fall for under $7g's. I think it was under12 square total. Premium architecural shingles are less than $125/square. The other third of my roof is industrial EPDM rubber over Corning pink foam core board.

but being slippery is great for snow to come off...
Many think that, but it's not a good thing in most circumstances. The packed snow is incredibly heavy and takes everything poking through the metal roof with it. What hits the ground is packed and difficult to remove without heavy equipment.

How does metal roofing, "work"? By that I mean does the rib of each section overlap the section adjacent to it? Where is it nailed or screwed?
They overlap. The metal gets screwed down onto the grid work of boards they lay out and screw to the existing roof first.

You can't put metal directly on to the roof decking. It needs breathing room underneath. You also cannon put it over bare wood without some type of moisture barrier between the two. The void between the two breathes from the soffit end through the peaks and valleys stamped into the metal and then out the ridge vent.

There's lots of steps in between, such as cutting and prepping for any needed roof penetrations, etc.

My roof was a steal at the time at $7500 all in. It's 2x that now, even with the same Amish outfit.

Just went down this road thanks to my insurance company. Nothing wrong with the roof, but received a letter from my homeowners saying my roof was nearing 15 years old, and the wouldn't renew my insurance unless it was changed.
I decided to use Atlas Pinnacle (Pristine), asphalt architectural shingles.
These are Miami Dade rated for 130 mph wind resistance, and contain Scothguard to prevent mold growth. 16 colors available.
Florida code also requires renailing the roof deck every 6 inches with S/S ring shank nails. And 5 S/S nails per shingle.
Roof deck must be fully covered with rubber roofing (peel and stick).
So, $16,000.00 later I have a nice new roof which I will probably be required to replace in 15 years (or less)!

I don't know what the insurance coverage would be like for a metal roof.
I would have liked to install the metal shingles , but $16 G was enough for me to swallow at this point.

I don't care for the look of metal roofing on a single story home, 2 Story, OK, but not one story, which mine is.

$16K, great googly moogly as the late Frank Zappa said! I'm glad my roof is super easy and I can actually do all the work myself. Being a jack of all trades master of none pays off being a home owner.

I was reading about roofing in hurricane country. The net was to make the plywood (or other similar materials) both waterproof and make sure it would not blow off. They taped all the plywood seams and used extra and stronger fasteners to make sure the plywood stayed attached to the rafters.

I have heard good things about the GAF asphalt shingles. But have not lived in a house long enough to understand exactly how many years they would last.

Back