Roof Replacement

I suspect the warranty on a roof after the first ten years is more likely than not , unclaimable. And i assume the warranty may be for materials only?

As for the contractor being in business ten years from now, more likely AM will be Brittany Spears next husband- than that roof contractor operating under the same business license in ten plus years.

Get a standing seam metal roof. It will last a lifetime, and if you ever go solar, it will outlast the solar installation.

While not so important in Atlanta, snow just slides off of it. And rain pours off too.

If you choose to explore the metal roofing option, make sure you are sitting down before looking at the estimate. Based upon a co-worker who had it installed in 2021 on a 2800 sq.ft victorian home, you will be looking at ~$80,000. This was from ERIE Metal Roofing which I believe is the nation's largest metal roofing contractor. Their sales pitch was that you are only paying $800 per year since the metal roof will last 100 years!

Perhaps a smaller local metal roofing provider would be more affordable.

I suspect the warranty on a roof after the first ten years is more likely than not , unclaimable. And i assume the warranty may be for materials only?

As for the contractor being in business ten years from now, more likely AM will be Brittany Spears next husband- than that roof contractor operating under the same business license in ten plus years.

You have real concerns about a roofing company being in business 10 years from now.

The shingle warranties are real and backed up. I don't know if they are pro-rated after a certain year, but I can tell you that when I've made similar comments about a 30 year shingle lasting 18-20 years at most, in front of roof shingle manufacturing employees, they are stern and firm, they mean 30 years.

Ok....

:D

Like I said, what's on my house is probably a 20-25 year shingle and while they are worn and weathered on the west/south side, it ain't leaking.

The Owens-Corning shingles have a 25 yr. warranty (3-tab) or a "Lifetime" warranty (architectural). With the basic lifetime warranty, materials and labor are covered for 10 yrs. and materials are pro-rated after 10 yrs. (not sure how they pro-rate wear against a lifetime span). Pay particular attention to the requirement to use a minimum of 3 O-C roofing components (e.g., shingles, ridge vent, underlayment) and contractor registration deadlines to prevent voiding the warranty.

1692280643116.jpg

p.s. Don't underestimate the allure of AutoMechanic...Blake might be the reason Britney Spears seperated from her husband today! :ROFLMAO:

I paid 10000.00 for a 1200 sq foot house with a 6/12 roof pitch..Just like everything else prices had gone up like crazy....My roof is a basic simple roof and is easy to walk on....so your quotes are not far off for your roof type and size...
Contractors are 'criminally' gouging - because they can.

I just quoted new three-tab shingles for the front roof and porch of my log cabin. Easy job, 10 square, with much of it a walk-able 4 pitch.

As a former engineer. I did a SUPER conservative estimate, paying the estimated three workers $50/hr @24hrs.
that's $1200 labour.
Then materials e.g:
felt($135), drip edge ($75), nails($25), Grace ice & water rubber sheeting ($470), 3 sheets CDX ($84) disposal ($750!) and 32 bundles of shingles ($1060) = $2515

material 2599
labour 1200
profit 2000 total = $ 5799

I was quoted $7800 - and that was with them destroying the plants shrubbery and flowers around the house. Quote "You don't care about these plants, do you?"

That comment set me off right there so no call back for him.

I just quoted new three-tab shingles for the front roof and porch of my log cabin. Easy job, 10 square, with much of it a walk-able 4 pitch.

As a former engineer. I did a SUPER conservative estimate, paying the estimated three workers $50/hr @24hrs.
that's $1200 labour.
Then materials e.g:
felt($135), drip edge ($75), nails($25), Grace ice & water rubber sheeting ($470), 3 sheets CDX ($84) disposal ($750!) and 32 bundles of shingles ($1060) = $2515

material 2599
labour 1200

I was quoted $7800 - and that was with them destroying the plants shrubbery and flowers around the house. Quote "You don't care about these plants, do you?"

three tabs are on there way out...but I agree with you about contractors gouging...esp after a widespread storm in a area...

three tabs are on there way out...but I agree with you about contractors gouging...esp after a widespread storm in a area...
Yeah, the first contractor told me that.

I have to get pine needles and other tree debris off the roof, seasonally; prefer the three tabs - material cost difference is minimal to nothing.

I guess the "poor" roofing contactor wants 0.5M$ annual profit $250G just ain't cutting it anymore

that's $1200 labour.
Then materials e.g:

material 2599
labour 1200

I don't see your overhead, like insurance, someone answering a phone, doing bookkeeping, warranty registration, salesmen/project managers, their trucks, fuel, vehicle insurance, health insurance, etc.

I don't see your overhead, like insurance, someone answering a phone, doing bookkeeping, warranty registration, salesmen/project managers, their trucks, fuel, vehicle insurance, health insurance, etc.
Small family business, one guy and a couple laborers. $250k a year doesnt cut it? Insurance is figured into the $50/hr for young guys getting maybe $23/hr.

I found out my roof is being priced at about 45 squares.

All 6 quotes came in between $18-20K. Take $19,000 as an average and that's $422/square for a single layer tear-off, haul-off, new underlayment, new ice/water dam in valleys, new drip edge and ridge vent with 30-50 year architectural shingles from any of the big 3 (GAF, Owens-Corning, Certainteed).

I think a 3-tab roof with no ice/water dam in the valleys, 15 lb "felt", etc., was about $150/square 25-30 years ago?

I paid 10000.00 for a 1200 sq foot house with a 6/12 roof pitch..Just like everything else prices had gone up like crazy....My roof is a basic simple roof and is easy to walk on....so your quotes are not far off for your roof type and size...
This isn't good news for me. Was it stripped to the plywood, or just another layer? I think we need the latter....

If you choose to explore the metal roofing option, make sure you are sitting down before looking at the estimate. Based upon a co-worker who had it installed in 2021 on a 2800 sq.ft victorian home, you will be looking at ~$80,000. This was from ERIE Metal Roofing which I believe is the nation's largest metal roofing contractor. Their sales pitch was that you are only paying $800 per year since the metal roof will last 100 years!

Perhaps a smaller local metal roofing provider would be more affordable.

Too funny.. and frightening.

A fellow shift-mate of mine had Erie give him a quote on the fancy metal/shingle "lifetime" roof. His estimate was also $80K. His home is ~2000sq/feet. This is in the Buffalo NY area.

He wound up having a local company tear off and replace with 50yr architectural shingles. It cost him around $16K.

Are there really blue collar-ish folks that are going to bite on an $80K roof? His house was a $120K home 10yrs ago.

Great point. I'm not a roofing expert but I see people in my neighborhood putting solar panels on top of 20 year old roofs. Doesn't seem prudent to me.
They do that here too, and it's not prudent at all. The hacks selling solar don't care, they're paid on a commission basis, and no sales equals no commissions.

Too funny.. and frightening.

A fellow shift-mate of mine had Erie give him a quote on the fancy metal/shingle "lifetime" roof. His estimate was also $80K. His home is ~2000sq/feet. This is in the Buffalo NY area.

He wound up having a local company tear off and replace with 50yr architectural shingles. It cost him around $16K.

Are there really blue collar-ish folks that are going to bite on an $80K roof? His house was a $120K home 10yrs ago.
These are mad times. Like when trees fall, can a typical homeowner afford $5k each? It's almost as if a home, can bankrupt its owner, based on repairs and upkeep. I recall 25 years ago a boss was hit with a $9k sewage line repair. What's it today, $40k? lol

Reactions: JTK
These are mad times. Like when trees fall, can a typical homeowner afford $5k each? It's almost as if a home, can bankrupt its owner, based on repairs and upkeep. I recall 25 years ago a boss was hit with a $9k sewage line repair. What's it today, $40k? lol

For sure. I just had a decent sized cottonwood. Nothing crazy, and a smaller maple tree right up next to it cut down, shredded and hauled away. $2400. I had similar work done 10yrs with a MASSIVE cottonwood and a smaller maple for $1K. When the fella gave me the estimate for this job, he told me his minimum charge is $1K. He can't afford to haul his equipment and people over for less than that. Sadly, I get it with the times we are in.

Back