New Roofing Question

I am planning on a roof tearoff and replacement. I have a good idea on color selection and am undecided between Owens Corning Duration or Certainteed Landmark shingles. I would appreciate any suggestions based on experience between the two as far as granular loss and wind blow off. The more I read about both, the more confused I get.

. I know several people who recently had a bad experience with GAF with premature granule loss., so I am not interested in them.

I would think that pictures of the house and general location might be helpful here, and if you have considered other roofing options besides shingles.

Al there is this stuff that's a clear sealant that's supposed to help retain the granules. It's relatively new, and last time I checked it only comes in .9 gallon buckets, and those buckets don't go as far as I would like, but I otherwise like the product.

This is the Shingle Saver I was referring to:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Henry-8...ealer-Shingle-Roof-Coating-HE812146/312979687

Yes, roofing is expensive, and no I didn't use it specifically retain granules.

Last edited:
I would think that pictures of the house and general location might be helpful here, and if you have considered other roofing options besides shingles.

Al there is this stuff that's a clear sealant that's supposed to help retain the granules. It's relatively new, and last time I checked it only comes in .9 gallon buckets, and those buckets don't go as far as I would like, but I otherwise like the product.

This is the Shingle Saver I was referring to:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Henry-8...ealer-Shingle-Roof-Coating-HE812146/312979687

Yes, roofing is expensive, and no I didn't use it specifically retain granules.
Approximately how much will a .9 gallon bucket generously cover?

(I hate it when they lower the amount instead of raise the price). Some products do both.

My primary home is located in hurricane country. After 21 years in June I've contracted to have Landmark Pro shingles installed with "Fortified Roof" materials and techniques. I considered Owens Corning Duration shingles but found too many recent claims and complaints about that product in my coastal area.

Last edited:
i have Certainteed landmark shingles on house,seems so far good,recently put on Atlas Storm (impact resistant) on garage,,the roofer said Atlas is one of the best on the market ,seems like there are many brands that are good,installation must be done properly according to manufactures specs,for information look up Roofing Insites shingle reviews on u-tube

Reactions: hrv
Approximately how much will a .9 gallon bucket generously cover?

If I had used it for it's intended purpose and with a sprayer on a fine mist (which won't work as per the reviews) maybe I could have gotten the stated coverage. I used it as a roof sealant where I could not find the leak, and yes there was a chimney and a valley so I might have used as many as 10 of these .9 gallon buckets to stop a leak into an area the size of maybe 1.5 room equivalents. I used a roller and a brush. I used the brush to get to spots where the roller would not get to. I probably did the valley 2 coats. It did stop the leak. For how long who knows, but if it's lasts it's stated 5 years that's fine I can do all this again, because you can only rent roofing anyway. I recommend this product. Think of it as flexible clear coat for your roof. You can't tell that that it was applied either. I mean I can but only under certain lighting conditions, when viewed from the appropriate angle while standing on top of a berm a certain distance from the house.

The recent trend here is metal roofing. Just about every new roof gets metal. I can't believe how many homes have them now.

My only issue with metal roofing is that it makes your roof slippery. At least with shingle roofs you don't have this issue. If I had to go on a metal roof I would want a permanently mounted stainless steel anchor point and a harness. I got on the roof at least once per your for my inspections and I do my own repairs.

Same here. Been looking into it.
Was thinking of that for my log cabin full-width front porch roof. I don't trust that standing seam to keep water out. Then there is Ice slide and fall off hazard. My rear roof (nearly flat 4-pitch) is EPDM. Man that thing is a killer. I worry about the Oil delivery guy getting creamed by a 700lb+ 4"thick ice flow. Not kidding.

My only issue with metal roofing is that it makes your roof slippery. At least with shingle roofs you don't have this issue. If I had to go on a metal roof I would want a permanently mounted stainless steel anchor point and a harness. I got on the roof at least once per your for my inspections and I do my own repairs.
I like the metal shingles like Erie does but they are very expensive. Probably double over a top end shingle roof.

Aren't metal shingles way less like to go flying during a hurricane, and aren't you having a house built in Florida?
Here are the Erie metal shingles...
1000002321.jpg

Back