Roofing prices?

I would think roof mounting them over a new roof will void any roofing material warranty anyway, or at a minimum, give them an out.
The roofing companies don’t see mounting solar panels over a roof as cause to void warranty.

The roofing companies don’t see mounting solar panels over a roof as cause to void warranty.
I get that, but what about the materials manufacturer. Ultimately, they're the ones that "honor" the warranty. I don't know for sure that this would be a problem, I'd just be sure to read the fine print and find out for sure.

I get that, but what about the materials manufacturer. Ultimately, they're the ones that "honor" the warranty. I don't know for sure that this would be a problem, I'd just be sure to read the fine print and find out for sure.
I did - if the materials are installed by an non-certified/credentialed contractor for that brand, the warranty is just lifetime material defects, and 10 year system non-prorated with labor included. Else, it’s a 50-year guarantee with some workmanship coverage.

Reactions: JTK
Now the debate is - GAF, Owens Corning or Certainteed? All shingles will be their CA-compliant “cool roof” series. I can also get IKO, Malarkey and Pabco(west coast brand, part of a Sacramento-based building supplies company) as well.

My parents have been dealing with the jumping through hoops for the last several years. My parents have a flat roof with wood shake shingle. I never understood putting kindling on a roof but I digress. Four or five years ago my parents were quoted $12,000 or so. Now it's 20-40k. The problem is that at least in Colorado the roofers aren't making money, they're charging way above sometimes 4-5 times their cost and passing the "savings " on to the insurance companies.

I had the roof replaced two years ago on my 1,300 sq ft house. It was the original roof from 1992 so only one layer. I went with Owen Corning shingles and it was a tear off and replace as well as replacing some of the decking and the ends of several rafters due to rot.

I had to pay out of pocket and the cost was around $13,500 and this was in SW MO.

I just replaced my roof, gutters and added gutter covers back in May, 1800 sqft roof. I went with a GAF roofing system for the warranty. I had bids from Owens Corning Roofers that were way over and a couple thousand under the $14,300 I paid for mine. Two OC roofers came in at $22K and $24K but they'd do it for $17K and $18K respectively if I signed right now, Homey don't play that game.

I’m in the process of getting a few roofing quotes for the parents. They have a solar system already so we got a quote of $5K to R&R the system.

We’re in a high CoL area - so labor’s expensive. There’s around 2000sqft of roof to be replaced. I’ve been getting quotes in the $27-31K range, almost within my $25-29K guesstimate. All have been quoting “lifetime” shingles from GAF and Owens Corning as a system with synthetic underlayment(instead of #30 felt), ice/water barriers and attic ventilation. All have a 50 year warranty backed up by the manufacturer.

Does that sound about right given labor pricing and the area we live in?
It sounds higher than heck to me, but I don't live in CA. Had my house done with CertainTeed top of the line shingle in 2017 for $8000 and it was a bigger roof than yours.

Around here all the roofers have big fancy trucks and beach houses that they need to make payments on.

I just got a quote on a roof for a 25x40’ building, and it was $14k.

We had our roof done last year by a couple local guys that also did some other remodeling in our house. 1400sq ft, Atlas architectural shingles, added ridge vents. Also had to replace a damaged section in the back that had some water intrusion. Came out to a tick over $9,000.
9A76252A-B7AB-452A-A8DE-ED6FB537DA8C.jpeg

Back