API ratings in relation to Dexos2?

So I'm a bit confused by all this. I have a Veloster N that I want to avoid LSPI on however I'm currently using Motul 8100 X-Clean EFE which is listed as API SN but also Dexos2 which from my reading is apparently equivalent to API SP?

My biggest concern is LSPI

Am I missing something here? My owners manual calls for API SN Plus / SP or ILSAC GF-6

I come from Subaru so I've always used Motul and I just assumed they met industry standards but now I'm thinking I should switch to Amsoil signature series 5w30 or maybe even a 0w40?

Here's the specs on the Motul

ACEA STANDARDS ACEA C2/C3
API STANDARDS API SERVICE SN
OEM APPROVALS BMW LL-04, MERCEDES-BENZ MB-APPROVAL 229.52, OPEL VAUXHALL OV 040 1547 - D30, VW 505 00 505 01
OEM PERFORMANCES FIAT 9.55535-S1, FIAT 9.55535-S3, GENERAL MOTORS GM DEXOS2™
OEM RECOMMENDATIONS HONDA, HYUNDAI, KIA, MITSUBISHI, NISSAN, SUBARU, SUZUKI, SSANGYONG, TOYOTA

Screenshot_20230224-100713.jpg

More than a couple of threads on here already about API licenses and LSPI prevention, maybe look around a bit.

Also it isn't associated with grade.
Yeah I've been doing some searching but not finding many answers. For example MB 229.52 seems like an extremely strict test and tests LSPI (I think?) But yet motul still lists as SN. Could it just be they think the other certs are good enough?

Dexos2 is a diesel spec. I wouldn't assume that it is LSPI tested.
Good point. In fact here is a discusion:

Welcome to BITOG 🎉

dexos2 is based off ACEA C3

You might be thinking of dexos1 gen2 (d1g2) which is SP and has a green logo rather than the blue logo of dexos2. d1g2 has recently been superseded by d1g3

Dexos2 is a diesel spec. I wouldn't assume that it is LSPI tested.
It's also used on all GM gasoline cars in Europe.

Good point. In fact here is a discusion:

So then I should be safe using the Motul X-Clean EFE and mitigate lspi since it's ACEA C2/c3 and Dexos2?

Is your OCI fairly conservative? I'm seeing now that oci may be a factor. I have a 22 WRX. Just this year they went from 3750 to 6000 oci. I use regular Mobil 1 5w30 but will stay with a shorter interval.

Welcome to BITOG 🎉

dexos2 is based off ACEA C3

You might be thinking of dexos1 gen2 (d1g2) which is SP and has a green logo rather than the blue logo of dexos2. d1g2 has recently been superseded by d1g3

It's also used on all GM gasoline cars in Europe.
I'm more curious if Dexos2 in the Motul has lspi protection despite its API not being SN+/SP. My owners manual calls for API SN Plus / SP or ILSAC GF-6 but it seems the Dexos2 and MB229.52 as well as the ACEA C2/C3 should cover what you would expect from a SP oil but for some reason Motul still lists itself as SN.

Mostly confused why it's only listed as SN despite the other specs and if it's safe to continue using it or if I should switch to AMS SS.

Is your OCI fairly conservative? I'm seeing now that oci may be a factor. I have a 22 WRX. Just this year they went from 3750 to 6000 oci. I use regular Mobil 1 5w30 but will stay with a shorter interval.
I change my oil every 4000km because of the timings of seasons and how much I drive during the summer (I only drive it in summer). I could likely go longer but I like 3000km based on the amount I drive.

Is it actually API licensed? I don’t see it on the ELOCS. Perhaps Motul doesn’t think it’s important for the intended market which is more for the European approvals.
This was my line of thought on why it's API rating would be so low.

Here are a few of the other discussions that touch on this topic:

Here are a few of the other discussions that touch on this topic:

So what I'm getting from these is Euro oils are different and don't really rely on API and instead use ACEA and manufactures tests.

I.e MB229.52 tests for timing chain wear and lspi so this oil technically has lspi testing done.

I'd just use what's spec'd.
API SP Plus. You are obviously particular so a branded Full Syn would do the job.
Yeah I might just replace it with Amsoil signature series 5w30. It meets all the specs and I've only read great things about it.

Last edited:
I'm more curious if Dexos2 in the Motul has lspi protection despite its API not being SN+/SP. My owners manual calls for API SN Plus / SP or ILSAC GF-6 but it seems the Dexos2 and MB229.52 as well as the ACEA C2/C3 should cover what you would expect from a SP oil but for some reason Motul still lists itself as SN.

Mostly confused why it's only listed as SN despite the other specs and if it's safe to continue using it or if I should switch to AMS SS.

dexos2 includes an LSPI test.

Back