Using ACEA C3 Oil where SN and SN Plus is required

I did a search on here and I'm a little overwhelmed by all the info. My '22 Subaru Crosstrek calls for an SN or SN+ 0W-20 oil. I was planning on trying the Mobil One ESP 0W-30 just to see how it does on a UOA compared to the 0W-20 I've been using. The ESP appears to be a great oil from everything I've seen on here but it is only ACEA C3 rated. As I was doing more research on here and elsewhere, it appears as though ACEA C3 oil provides less timing chain wear etc than SN or SN+ rated oils. This has me a little hesitant to use the Mobil One ESP 0W-30. Are my concerns warranted? If I missed a thread on here about this, please direct me to it. Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm confused because of this: The Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX is an SN oil AND says it meets or exceeds ACEA C2/C3. The Mobil One ESP just says meets or exceeds ACEA C3. It says nothing about SN or SN+ So does that mean that the ESP would meet or exceed SN? 😜 Will I be doing any harm to timing chains or anything else running the ESP in my '22 Crosstrek?

Attachments

• 0E0ADFA4-554B-4CF7-86D4-2FE09E35FD62.jpeg
    0E0ADFA4-554B-4CF7-86D4-2FE09E35FD62.jpeg
    140.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 5F9E91D2-C059-4CBD-9727-DAB0A91C6A5F.jpeg
    5F9E91D2-C059-4CBD-9727-DAB0A91C6A5F.jpeg
    131.1 KB · Views: 65
There's nothing wrong with the C3, but it's not worth buying just to use on that car. Most people who do so got it cheap on clearance, or for a Euro car they don't have anymore and it's a leftover stash.

But for regular price, just get the regular PP 5w30 or the PP Euro L 5w30 or any other synthetic 5w30 or 0w30, such as M1 AFE.

You might like M1 AFE 0w30 better.

Dang, I ordered some ESP 0W-30 online that was on sale. I'm thinking maybe I jumped the gun and should return it. 👎 I saw ESP 0W-30 mentioned in numerous threads on here as being great oil and better than AFE.

Dang, I ordered some ESP 0W-30 online that was on sale. I'm thinking maybe I jumped the gun and should return it. 👎 I saw ESP 0W-30 mentioned in numerous threads on here as being great oil and better than AFE.

If you got it at a good price, keep it. No need to return it :)

If that Subaru has the turbo FA20F/FA24F or the turbo EJ engines, it might be a good idea to use the Euro stuff. Else, stick to a good 0W-20/5W-30 dexos1 oil, I like IdeMitsu oil in Subies that aren’t problem children.

One thing I find very strange is that in every other part of the world except the US and Canada, the product data sheet for the ESP 0W-30 states that it also meets or exceeds API SN, SN+ and SP. The oil specs are almost the same also. Just very slight differences. Anybody know why in the US and Canada this oil is not also rated to meet or exceed SN, SN+ and SP?😳. Makes no sense to me.

I did a search on here and I'm a little overwhelmed by all the info. My '22 Subaru Crosstrek calls for an SN or SN+ 0W-20 oil. I was planning on trying the Mobil One ESP 0W-30 just to see how it does on a UOA compared to the 0W-20 I've been using. The ESP appears to be a great oil from everything I've seen on here but it is only ACEA C3 rated. As I was doing more research on here and elsewhere, it appears as though ACEA C3 oil provides less timing chain wear etc than SN or SN+ rated oils. This has me a little hesitant to use the Mobil One ESP 0W-30. Are my concerns warranted? If I missed a thread on here about this, please direct me to it. Thanks!

M1 ESP 5w30 meets API SN.

ACEA categories are not related to API. ACEA C3 is a category of emissions friendly high HTHS (min 3.5) oils which are to be used with low Sulphur diesel/petrol.

ACEA C3 does not have a LSPI or a timing chain wear test because those tests are covered by the individual automakers (ex, BMW,, Mercedes Benz, VW) IF the automaker considers it important for their engines.

Note: New ACEA categories C6 and A7/B7 do use the same LSPI and chain wear tests of API SP. Max HTHS of C6 and A7/B7 are 2.9 and 3.5 respectively.

Subaru relies on API and they're not really worried about LSPI with your vehicle because they allow for SN.

If you want a euro oil which also meets API SN+ then look at Mobil 1 FS 0w40/5w40 or Mobil 1 ESP 0w40/0w20

Last edited:
One thing I find very strange is that in every other part of the world except the US and Canada, the product data sheet for the ESP 0W-30 states that it also meets or exceeds API SN, SN+ and SP. The oil specs are almost the same also. Just very slight differences. Anybody know why in the US and Canada this oil is not also rated to meet or exceed SN, SN+ and SP?😳. Makes no sense to me.
That can be true because they do not have or did not obtain an API license. They don't want to claim "compliance" in the region (NA) where the license is originated but not actually obtained.

M1 ESP 5w30 meets API SN.

ACEA categories are not related to API. ACEA C3 is a category of emissions friendly high HTHS (min 3.5) oils which are to be used with low Sulphur diesel/petrol.

ACEA C3 does not have a LSPI or a timing chain wear test because those tests are covered by the individual automakers (ex, BMW,, Mercedes Benz, VW) IF the automaker considers it important for their engines.

Note: New ACEA categories C6 and A7/B7 do use the same LSPI and chain wear tests of API SP. Max HTHS of C6 and A7/B7 are 2.9 and 3.5 respectively.

Subaru relies on API and they're not really worried about LSPI with your vehicle because they allow for SN.

Is you want a euro oil which also meets API SN+ then look at Mobil 1 FS 0w40/5w40 or Mobil 1 ESP 0w40/0w20
I want to try a 0W-30, not a 0W-40 or 5W-40. I think the 40W will be too think. Subaru recommends an "energy conserving" 0W-20 SN or SN+. Obviously I'm going outside their recommendations but I guess based on what you've said, if I go with the ESP 0W-30, at least it meets the SN requirement, sort of, for whatever that's worth. Still kind of clear as mud to me, but I guess a little less muddy.😂

Attachments

• B9F97CBB-8F87-474C-B0F9-217293D32CA4.jpeg
    B9F97CBB-8F87-474C-B0F9-217293D32CA4.jpeg
    87.6 KB · Views: 40
I want to try a 0W-30, not a 0W-40 or 5W-40. I think the 40W will be too think. Subaru recommends an "energy conserving" 0W-20 SN or SN+. Obviously I'm going outside their recommendations but I guess based on what you've said, if I go with the ESP 0W-30, at least it meets the SN requirement, sort of, for whatever that's worth. Still kind of clear as mud to me, but I guess a little less muddy.😂
No API grade is "too thick" unless the winter rating is inappropriate for the starting conditions. Or if fuel economy is your sole concern.

Also note that it is really about the HT/HS not the grade. Oils with the same HT/HS can fall in two different grades.

That can be true because they do not have or did not obtain an API license. They don't want to claim "compliance" in the region (NA) where the license is originated but not actually obtained.
I didn't get the oil from Amazon, I got it from O'Reileys but according to the info on the ESP 0W-30 listed on Amazon it IS SN rated...🤷‍♂️ The back of the oil container just says ACEA C3 though. 😂 I also sent an inquiry to Mobil regarding this as well. Waiting to hear back. I think I'm honestly reading into it too much and should just run the ESP 0W-30 and see how the UOA turns out compared to the three 0W-20 UOAs I've already done and then go from there...

Attachments

• 97888A8C-5DF3-46A1-A5C8-C63680ECF2D3.jpeg
    97888A8C-5DF3-46A1-A5C8-C63680ECF2D3.jpeg
    92.6 KB · Views: 19
I didn't get the oil from Amazon, I got it from O'Reileys but according to the info on the ESP 0W-30 listed on Amazon it IS SN rated...🤷‍♂️ The back of the oil container just says ACEA C3 though. 😂 I also sent an inquiry to Mobil regarding this as well. Waiting to hear back. I think I'm honestly reading into it too much and should just run the ESP 0W-30 and see how the UOA turns out compared to the three 0W-20 UOAs I've already done and then go from there...
It does not appear on the API EOLCS Directory so it is unlikely to have a license. The container is correct.

Also, you can't use a UOA to determine comparative oil quality, such an analysis is dependent on numerous uncontrolled variables that will render a comparison meaningless. Especially here with what amounts to a one-off comparison attempt.

If it was my vehicle I'd use the product without hesitation but that's just me. Besides being ACEA C3 it has several demanding approvals such as Porsche C30 and VW 504.00. I use it in my Tiguan and I'm not particularly concerned about timing chain wear just because it does not have an API license.

Back