Mazda Skyactiv 5W-30 - requirements?

Trying to figure out what I should be looking for my Skyactiv G 2.0 (5000KM), owners manual states 0W-20 or 5W-30 meeting API SN or higher, or ACEA A5/B5. I'm opting for 5W-30 because of the hotter climate in my area and that's what the local dealer uses. I do a lot of short trips with stop and go traffic at times (engine has start/stop too).
Should I be looking for an oil that meets ACEA A5/B5 (also meets API SN) or am I better off with something like ACEA C3 that meets API SN?

First thing first....I am not a CAFE fan... (n)

2nd....yes ACEA C3....or Dexos....or any mid/low saps Euro oil (vw 504/507 MB 229.51/52 BMW LL-04)... Whatever is easier to get in your area!

A5/b5... Go with Mobil 1 5w30 or QS full synthetic 5w30. Cam2 Superpromax and Cam2 Dexos full synthetic are actually A5/b5 approved too. I am not sure what other 5w30s are A5/b5...

First thing first....I am not a CAFE fan... (n)

2nd....yes ACEA C3....or Dexos....or any mid/low saps Euro oil (vw 504/507 MB 229.51/52 BMW LL-04)... Whatever is easier to get in your area!
CAFE referring to fuel economy right? I am also from the EU, if C3 is the way to go over A5/B5 I will probably opt for Castrol Edge 5W-30 M just because it is easily available.

Would like to add to this. Since it is a DI engine, I should be avoiding any oils with >0.8% sulphated ash and opt for ones that are mid-saps, correct?

In the hotter climate 5W-30 is okay and a mid-SAPS C2 should be fine. A 5W-30 ACEA C3 would have the elevated HTHS-V >3.5 and make for the combination that's said to be the generally least desirable grade.

In the hotter climate 5W-30 is okay and a mid-SAPS C2 should be fine. A 5W-30 ACEA C3 would have the elevated HTHS-V >3.5 and make for the combination that's said to be the generally least desirable grade.
Thanks for bring the HTHS levels to my attention. Finding a C2 oil here won't be easy, maybe I should keep it simple and just opt for a 0W-20 C5. Temps here range from 5-35°C (sometimes higher).

Well, the more you'd want to consider the short trips, the more tendency for the 0W-20 (products for start-stop / hybrid use exist and may actually mean something) and 0W-30. Vice versa, the more long haul, ambient heat and rally or desert racing, the more interesting a 10W-30 would become. Inbetween many 5W-30 SP or else will be fine (primarily the "unnatural" C3 are said to be somewhat questionable) or good 5W-20 could be just about right.
Likewise the mid-SAPS Without special pursuit there's no use in much departure from recommendations. No single aspect lends itself to being isolated.

Well, the more you'd want to consider the short trips, the more tendency for the 0W-20 (products for start-stop / hybrid use exist and may actually mean something) and 0W-30. Vice versa, the more long haul, ambient heat and rally or desert racing, the more interesting a 10W-30 would become. Inbetween many 5W-30 SP or else will be fine (primarily the "unnatural" C3 are said to be somewhat questionable) or good 5W-20 could be just about right.
Likewise the mid-SAPS Without special pursuit there's no use in much departure from recommendations. No single aspect lends itself to being isolated.
0w20's I believe are the best choice for the vast majority of all Skyactiv non turbo engines.
Thanks for the insight all. I'm from Malta so short trips are very much the norm (we're talking ~10km taking 20 mins on average). The factory fill was 0W-20 I believe and since the first oil change from the dealer with 5W-30 I've noticed slightly louder ticking when cold.

Thanks for the insight all. I'm from Malta so short trips are very much the norm (we're talking ~10km taking 20 mins on average). The factory fill was 0W-20 I believe and since the first oil change from the dealer with 5W-30 I've noticed slightly louder ticking when cold.

Is 0w20 hard to find in Malta?

Is 0w20 hard to find in Malta?
Truthfully, I have never seen it in any stores and most stock 5W-30 (I presume the dealer also uses it simply because its cheap to get their hands on). I will have a look at what the Castrol importer has since they have the largest variation here. Hoping to find Edge V, otherwise I will opt for a 5W-30 A5/B5. Thoughts?

Truthfully, I have never seen it in any stores and most stock 5W-30 (I presume the dealer also uses it simply because its cheap to get their hands on). I will have a look at what the Castrol importer has since they have the largest variation here. Hoping to find Edge V, otherwise I will opt for a 5W-30 A5/B5. Thoughts?

You are in a different situation there. Can’t go wrong with Castrol.

I've seen quite a few Skyactiv UOA's and the 0w20s work extremely well. So well that you'll see under 10ppm of Fe in a 7-10k mile interval in some cases. With any brand.

I've seen quite a few Skyactiv UOA's and the 0w20s work extremely well. So well that you'll see under 10ppm of Fe in a 7-10k mile interval in some cases. With any brand.

I agree and if it was available I would have no worries running 0w20 even in hotter climates.

I agree and if it was available I would have no worries running 0w20 even in hotter climates.
Thank you all. Going to see if the dealer has Mazdas new Supra-X 0W20 oil or otherwise order it from Germany.

Back