Using ACEA C3 Oil where SN and SN Plus is required

I want to try a 0W-30, not a 0W-40 or 5W-40. I think the 40W will be too think. Subaru recommends an "energy conserving" 0W-20 SN or SN+. Obviously I'm going outside their recommendations but I guess based on what you've said, if I go with the ESP 0W-30, at least it meets the SN requirement, sort of, for whatever that's worth. Still kind of clear as mud to me, but I guess a little less muddy.😂
ESP 5w30 meets SN as well. In fact just about all Euro oils sold on the retail market meet SN at a min. API SN is an older specification (circa 2010) after all and there's nothing particularly special about it. Don't over think it.

I want to try a 0W-30, not a 0W-40 or 5W-40. I think the 40W will be too think. Subaru recommends an "energy conserving" 0W-20 SN or SN+. Obviously I'm going outside their recommendations but I guess based on what you've said, if I go with the ESP 0W-30, at least it meets the SN requirement, sort of, for whatever that's worth. Still kind of clear as mud to me, but I guess a little less muddy.😂
0w-40 are standard in Finland for Subaru 🤷

This is the reply I got from Mobil...

Attachments

• 024F454B-B8F4-4534-96A9-2EAF3FB562AC.jpeg
    024F454B-B8F4-4534-96A9-2EAF3FB562AC.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 199

Why would less timing chain wear make you hesitant?

...it is only ACEA C3 rated. As I was doing more research on here and elsewhere, it appears as though ACEA C3 oil provides less timing chain wear etc than SN or SN+ rated oils. This has me a little hesitant to use the Mobil One ESP 0W-30.

And, only ACEA C3 isn't a bad thing. BTW, Mobil1 recommends it for these below and this is more impressive than API/ILSAC to some of us:

MB-Approval 229.31
MB 229.51
MB 229.52
PORSCHE C30
VW 504 00
VW 507 00

Other than the bottle label, and the above link for their datasheet, I could care less what Amazon or any online seller claims of any oil.

This is the reply I got from Mobil...
????

I have 3 jugs of it sitting on my shelf that has an 11/2022 manufacture date and API SP is not listed anywhere on it. None of the documentation that I have seen has API SN, SN+ or SP noted anywhere on it.

????

I have 3 jugs of it sitting on my shelf that has an 11/2022 manufacture date and API SP is not listed anywhere on it. None of the documentation that I have seen has API SN, SN+ or SP noted anywhere on it.
Yeah lots of conflicting info, including from Mobile but like I said earlier I'm gonna run it. It's good oil.😎

API SP is more stringent and backwards compatible with SN (SN+).
I wonder why they don't put the SP on the back of the bottle. Not necessary I guess because the oil is geared towards the Euro spec. I would think it wouldn't hurt to put something on there though that says "meets or exceeds API SP.

I wonder why they don't put the SP on the back of the bottle. Not necessary I guess because the oil is geared towards the Euro spec. I would think it wouldn't hurt to put something on there though that says "meets or exceeds API SP.
Sometimes it does appear but IMO consumers of euro oils shop approvals not API so putting API on the label is not a priority.

Ah ya. Their own website states SN for 5w30 but SN+ for 0w40 and SP for 0w20
Like I mentioned earlier, all worldwide versions of the ESP 0W-30 except the US and Canada say in the data sheets that it meets or exceeds SN, SN+ and SP and others. How can that be, and why is that? I'm just curious. Are all the foreign data sheets for ESP 0W-30 erroneous?🤷‍♂️

Sometimes it does appear but IMO consumers of euro oils shop approvals not API so putting API on the label is not a priority.
When you can, check out the info and tell me what you think about this:😳 This is a non US and Canada formulation. I think from Asia? Exceeds, SN, SN+, SP, SL, Acea 2, Acea 3 and many others! The viscosity and HTHS of the non US and Canada version of ESP is slightly different but still very close to the US version.

Last edited:
ACEA C3 is mid or low Saps, meant for gas engines and light duty diesel engines. C3 also has to have HTHS greater than 3.5.

M1 ESP is low saps, so it will be fine for engines that need API SN or SN+.
Use it in your Subaru with no worries.

When you can, check out the info and tell me what you think about this:😳 This is a non US and Canada formulation. I think from Asia? Exceeds, SN, SN+, SP, SL, Acea 2, Acea 3 and many others! The viscosity and HTHS of the non US and Canada version of ESP is slightly different but still very close to the US version.
I'd have to look at the publish dates.

Because it’s not licensed. That’s important here in the NA market.
But why do they mention in the non-US and Canada data sheets all these API ratings that it exceeds? Foreign countries don't give a rip about API ratings, right? You would think it would be the other way around?🤷‍♂️

Back