Mazda Skyactiv 5W-30 - requirements?

I used 5w30 this time (see my signature) but 0w20 M1 EP had excellent wear. I could've probably went longer. 5w30 won't hurt anything though. I like the way it runs with 5w30 thus far with 700 miles on the car. I posted a UOA in that section for my skyactiv 2.0.

I used 5w30 this time (see my signature) but 0w20 M1 EP had excellent wear. I could've probably went longer. 5w30 won't hurt anything though. I like the way it runs with 5w30 thus far with 700 miles on the car. I posted a UOA in that section for my skyactiv 2.0.

I'm using 5w30 now in a Skyactiv 2.5L. Just out of curiosity nothing else. Will go back to a 20 grade next.

I'm using 5w30 now in a Skyactiv 2.5L. Just out of curiosity nothing else. Will go back to a 20 grade next.
Yeah, that 5k interval on M1 EP 0w20 was a pretty hard run too. I drive hard once everything is warmed up. Clearly these engines can run fine on 0w20 and dont beat up the oil. One thing I will say is due to COVID my trips with this car have been longer, more enjoyable drives. So If one is concerned with fuel dilution, it should be no problem to go up to a light 5w30 like M1 5w30 Vanilla. I might buy some of that next time the rebates are around. The lower deposits and consumption might be good on ESP. I did add probably 1/4-1/2 qt at 4k, which isn't really anything considering the high revs. One more UOA and I think ill stop worrying about oil with this car. 🤷‍♂️

Yeah, that 5k interval on M1 EP 0w20 was a pretty hard run too. I drive hard once everything is warmed up. Clearly these engines can run fine on 0w20 and dont beat up the oil. One thing I will say is due to COVID my trips with this car have been longer, more enjoyable drives. So If one is concerned with fuel dilution, it should be no problem to go up to a light 5w30 like M1 5w30 Vanilla. I might buy some of that next time the rebates are around. The lower deposits and consumption might be good on ESP. I did add probably 1/4-1/2 qt at 4k, which isn't really anything considering the high revs. One more UOA and I think ill stop worrying about oil with this car. 🤷‍♂️

Agree 100%. Since Covid, I've been taking drives after work to get out of the house.

The Skyactiv 2.0 and 2.5L will run a very long time using 0w20 or 5w30.

Agree 100%. Since Covid, I've been taking drives after work to get out of the house.

The Skyactiv 2.0 and 2.5L will run a very long time using 0w20 or 5w30.
For the OP's application, if 0w-20 is rare in Malta, why not use a 5w-20 full synthetic?
Sorry to bring up this thread again. Oil change isn't due yet so I am taking my time to find the right oil locally. I cannot use 5W-20 due to warranty (I actually found locally). My choice is now down to Liqui Moly Special Tec AA 0W20 or Mobil1 ESP x2 0W20. Both are the same price. I am leaning towards Liqui Moly since it meets the same specs as Mazdas (Total) oil, thoughts?

Sorry to bring up this thread again. Oil change isn't due yet so I am taking my time to find the right oil locally. I cannot use 5W-20 due to warranty (I actually found locally). My choice is now down to Liqui Moly Special Tec AA 0W20 or Mobil1 ESP x2 0W20. Both are the same price. I am leaning towards Liqui Moly since it meets the same specs as Mazdas (Total) oil, thoughts?
Who told you that using an oil with a different winter rating would violate your new car warranty?

You can use any 5w20 or 5w30 in a Skyactiv. You could use a 0w40 if you wanted. I wouldn't advise you to use anything other than a 0w20 however unless you're driving very aggressively and need a higher viscosity. I doubt you'd have a warranty issue. Would be tough to prove and not worth it since the oil would highly unlikely be the cause.

The Skyactiv engine is pretty easy on oil so I wouldn’t go looking for anything exotic. Pick a well known brand and either a 0w20 or 5w30 depending on your selection there.

You can use any 5w20 or 5w30 in a Skyactiv. You could use a 0w40 if you wanted. I wouldn't advise you to use anything other than a 0w20 however unless you're driving very aggressively and need a higher viscosity. I doubt you'd have a warranty issue. Would be tough to prove and not worth it since the oil would highly unlikely be the cause.
The Skyactiv engine is pretty easy on oil so I wouldn’t go looking for anything exotic. Pick a well known brand and either a 0w20 or 5w30 depending on your selection there.
Thank you both. I'll stop overthinking it and just opt for the Liqui Moly or Mobil1 0W20 then since its the easiest to get hold of.

Back