Anyone use Royal Purple?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing i've noticed looking at RP UOA's is that RP has a LOT of detergent dispersant in its add-pack.

Most syn oils use Ca at about 2500-3500ppm, and no Mg to supplement. Some are starting to use Mg to supplement, BUT they reduce Ca in the process.

RP uses Ca at about 3,000ppm, but the ALSO use Mg at about 800-1200ppm...and this seems to keep RP TBN high, even after long runs. I think this is a rerally good thing - can never have too many cleaning agents in an oil.

As a former tC owner, I don't recommend running RP mostly due to cost, but also formulation.

The tC has 2 cat's, its made for emissions. RP and many other non-SM rated oils could(COULD) contaminate your cat's leading to premature slug esque performance.

Our little 4 banger motors do like a few oils more than others.

Valvoline Synpower
Mobil 1 EP(there is a noticeable difference in engine noise between Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 EP)

Not many recommend RP for anything in the tC even their gear fluid. People use Mobil 1 MTF or RedLine. RP has been noted to wreak havoc in the tC gearbox.

Hey Simon...nice to see a familiar name! :) I too am trying to track down the base group of RP. I remember from a while ago that is was considered group IV, but there has been a murmer indicating it might have switched to group III.

So, what is fact? Is it Group III or Group IV?(for clarity I'm tlaking about street oil, not race forumla)

Originally Posted By: Reaper1
Hey Simon...nice to see a familiar name! :) I too am trying to track down the base group of RP. I remember from a while ago that is was considered group IV, but there has been a murmer indicating it might have switched to group III.

So, what is fact? Is it Group III or Group IV?(for clarity I'm tlaking about street oil, not race forumla)

That Grp III rumor has been around a long time and it has always been false. "IF" RP has switched to Grp III it is VERY recent. I believe it is still Grp IV.

My guess is that RP allows the oil to intentionally shear down to gain a little HP. They can do that while still protecting the engine because their additive has a high film strength since it is an extreme pressure additive, like one found in a gear oil. Extreme pressure additives are not normally used in motor oils because they will form sulfuric acid. I believe I read here one time that their Synerlic additive was a sulferized ester that will not react to form sulfuric acid in the motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back