Anyone use Royal Purple?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I drive an '06 tC, so 5W-30. Anyone use RP in their tC or at all gimme feedback please!
Also, I've used Mobil-1 full syn for as long as I can remember (70k on engine).

Have you owned it from new? If so, that's roughly 20k/year. Over 6 oil changes a year. That's a big oil bill on M1 or any oil really.

Since you're still in the 3k prison ..but trying to step out ..I'd recommend (using whatever oil you choose) just adding a month/mile component in an incremental manner.

There are many oils that should work out to, at minimum, 6 months in your usage.

I would go the other way with your mileage/yr. 3k is crazy and is just a waste.

Why not try Amsoil SSO at a 12k interval? Then you could do a used oil analysis at that time and i'll bet you'll be surprised and find that it is holding up well at 12k and probably could go even longer. You'll be spending 1/3-1/4 the money and have no compromise (and a possible improvement) in wear protection.

i still dont understand why alot of people on this board hates on RP.

it's a good oil. but changing it at 3k is a waste of money. the 2az is NOT a known sludge engine so you should be able to run that oil and filter up to 8-10k with no problems.

I think a lot of people don't like RP because it is severely over-priced for what you get. I just don't think the add pack is up to snuff and for the same price there are many better oils. To say that all synthetic oils are about the same is not at all accurate. The base oil is only part of the equation, the additive package is more important and a well blended conventional or semi-synth will out-perform RP. I wouldn't use RP or Lucas oils in my lawn mower.

Do some research and look over the UOA section.

Originally Posted By: cfromc
I think a lot of people don't like RP because it is severely over-priced for what you get. I just don't think the add pack is up to snuff and for the same price there are many better oils. To say that all synthetic oils are about the same is not at all accurate. The base oil is only part of the equation, the additive package is more important and a well blended conventional or semi-synth will out-perform RP. I wouldn't use RP or Lucas oils in my lawn mower.

Do some research and look over the UOA section.

I think you need to do more research on this before making such claims. Your specific comments about the product itself( not talking about your own opinion )are extremely innacurate.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

I think you need to do more research on this before making such claims. Your specific comments about the product itself( not talking about your own opinion )are extremely innacurate.

i agree.......RP is great stuff......and around here it's the same price and RL and Amsoil and just as good.

Unless it has changed in the last two years since I was on here it always thins out especialy int he 5W30 variety. Their 15W40 stuff always seemed to do a good job though. I have also used their MTL and was not impressed it lost it's cold temp. shift performance in a little less then 10,000 miles which was even weaker thenthe OEM stuff. Redlines MTL onthe other hand last's just fine in it.... So Royal Purple is not that impressive in my book especialy when it cost more then M1 but just under Amsoil's price. I do not think it is worth the cost when other products that work as well or better can be had either for less or the same price. They are definately not any serious player with regard to performance when compare to Amsoil,Redline VP Racing,Torco,Motul etc.....They advertise a lot and I am sure they sell plenty of product but that does not mean much.

Thanks for all your help/feedback guys - appreciate it alot.
I think I'mma go with changing the RP @ 5k miles. Then running it for 7k, sending that sample in. And maybe keep it and run it as long as the TBN determines indefinitely, or go back to M1 depeding on that TBN since it's cheaper and I've already ran it for 90% of the car's life. Or I could go get me some Amsoil and run it for 12k OCI w/ 6k filter change, depending on that TBN. How far do I want to go down this road...haha. Oil's so much more in depth and important than I realized.

Oh, 1 other thing I noticed. Amsoil has an XL (extended life) 5w-30 good for a claim of 7.5k OCI.

The other one just says 100% synthetic but it claims 15k severe and 25k normal service. Why wouldn't that be the XL version of the oil? But it is more expensive than the XL..

The question is, what makes Royal Purple worth its price? How does it stand out from its competition? At its pricepoint, RP has some very tough competitors, such as Amsoil's tried-and-true SSO 0w-30. So tell me, NHHEMI, why should I pick your prized Royal Purple over other proven products?

RP is a few bucks cheaper than all the other boutique genuine synths. It`s around $8 a quart. Most others are in the $10-$12 range.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
The question is, what makes Royal Purple worth its price? How does it stand out from its competition? At its pricepoint, RP has some very tough competitors, such as Amsoil's tried-and-true SSO 0w-30. So tell me, NHHEMI, why should I pick your prized Royal Purple over other proven products?

1st of all RP has more than proved itself over the years. It is used by tons of professional race teams, engine builders, speed shops, etc... It is extremely popuular on almost every automotive forum there is as well with real world users not self professed oil experts like we have here. RP's real world performance takes a back seat to no oil. The way people here bash it you would think anyone who runs it would lose their engine every few days.

This site is full of haters for some reason. Also full of haters that haven't even used it( by their own admission ). A lot of RP's negative reputation here is based off that bashing and hate. IN any RP thread the Lemmings come out and run to the sea squeaking RP Bad, RP Bad, RP Bad...
21.gif

It is one thing if you used it and had a bad experience. That happens with ANY oil. If you haven't used it then keep your pie hole closed. So many people on this site, where we should be smarter than that, are influenced by bogus claims and negative feedback from people with an agenda and/or who haven't even used the product. It is a joke! It is really a shame that people let others think for them. Oh, so and so on BITOG said RP is bad so it must be true and now whenever anyone asks about it I will save them from themselves and tell them how bad it is. I mean if it is said on BITOG than by god it must be true. Right?
smirk2.gif

The overwhelming vast majority of the claims made on this site about tons of bad UOA's, shearing, etc... are bogus or so over blown it is not even funny. Another member took the time to bring up all the RP UOA's and such and they were as good as any brand. Yet the perception here, fostered by the hate and baseless bashing, has this as a bad oil. I would answer your challenge above with show me where the other brands have proven themselves superior to RP?

As to price. RP costs me less than Amsoil( even XL ) and Redline. At times it is even less than individual qt prices of M1, PP, Synpower, etc... Even if I walked into a national chain locally and picked up a bottle as the guy ^^^ said it is less than the other botique brands.

I have run it for almost 2 decades in a ton of applications. It has performed at nothing but the highest level for me. Why would I not use it? Because some people on here think it is over priced or that there are supposedly all these bad UOA's here( NOT! ).

I don't tell people not to use brand X, Y, or Z. I don't bash and hate on othere brands. The obsession some have here with beating up on RP just blows me away. It is oil for god sake. There is no best oil for every one or every application. For me RP has worked and worked very well for basically 20 years. I have never had a problem using it. What more proof do I need? Should I stop using it and start bashing it because of a handful of people here that hate it?

Last edited:
You seem to have an itch for the purple oil. I say scratch it. My opinion is that Royal Purple is good oil. You seem to like to change oil early, & I can relate to that. I say run the purple for 5k, then another 5k, then do a UOA. Then you can decide for yourself if you like it for your vehicle. Based on that info, you can extend your oci, or not...continue to use RP, or not. Your choice. Don't let the loudest voices of the mob rule your decision. I remember when redline was in the "mostly hated" catagory on this forum. And valvoline, omg, was the worst. " I wouldn't oil my bicycle chain with it " was the quote that summed up the sentiment. Formulations do change, and so do opinions of people. Do your own testing and go from there.

Back to the original question posed by the OP. This is migrating toward a RP vs. any other oil festival.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
RP is a few bucks cheaper than all the other boutique genuine synths. It`s around $8 a quart. Most others are in the $10-$12 range.

That means that the boutique synthetics are even more overpriced.
24.gif

The big quality gap is between dino and synthetic, after that the synthetic motor oils are more similar than different (within the same weight and API class etc).

If you are going to run 3K OCI on synthetic, you might as well switch to Valvoline Synpower in the recommended viscosity grade.
The reason I say that is that you might be able to take advantage of their 300K mile engine guarantee.
It's good oil and won't cause problems with your factory warranty in the recommended weight...If you insist on short change intervals you might as well have the extra guarantee.

If you are going to step out of the short intervals, there are a lot of choice products out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back