Anyone use Royal Purple?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is RP that more expensive south of the border? Here where I live RP is over a dollar cheaper than M1 and syntec and $4 cheaper than amsoil. I have used it in the past with good results. My local Mazda dealer uses RP for their synth oil. It is warrenty approved.

I get it for 6.99/US qt on sale, or 7.99 regular price at the local AAP. the Zone wants 8.99 or there abouts.

Originally Posted By: Autobahn88
Is RP that more expensive south of the border? Here where I live RP is over a dollar cheaper than M1 and syntec and $4 cheaper than amsoil. I have used it in the past with good results. My local Mazda dealer uses RP for their synth oil. It is warrenty approved.

I pay $5.75-$6.50 p/qt through the local speed shop where I have always bought it. The price depends on which warehouse he gets it for me at. If I can give him a week to get it, so he can add it to his weekly stock order it is as cheap as $5.75-$6.00( depends on how much he orders and what discount he gets that week ). If I need it faster, so he has to special order it in, then it is $6.25-$6.50. If I have to go to a national chain for some reason the prices ^^^ are about the same for here too.

wow that is cheap........its almost double the cost over here ....the xpr line is over $20+tax a liter.

i think the rp is about 11.99+taxes around here.

lui, I live just a couple of hours down the 401 from you and my local Napa carries RP for around $8.60 a litre. They also have it on sale a couple times a year. I have seen it as cheap as $6.99L.

Here in Northern NJ RP motor oil at WalMart is $8.47. Don't know about the speed shops but they have always been more expensive relative to WalMart for the same products. I'm using RP Synchromax in the tranny of my Ford truck's manual tranny and my Ford Contour's manual tranny. I have no complaints, They shift better than the factory recommended fluids and protect better than ATF in a manual tranny.

Whimsey

autobahn i will swing by my local napa and see if they carry it......i never seen it there before...the only places in TO that carry it is partsouce, some canadian tires and performance improvments.

Wow I didn't mean to open a can of worms or anything. Agreed with not bashing at hating stuff without using it yourself - Not sure what's up with that. I'll post again with the results in 10k miles haha so everyone play nice till I return!

EDIT: My RP cost me $8/qt @ local pepboys (only local place I didn't have to order online). I got buy 4 qt get 5th free. RP oil filter was $15.

Anyone use magnets in their oil filters? I hear some dealerships use them in their oil/tranny pans to help with warrenties. And magnetic drain plugs.
Sounds & looks like it would be a good idea in the filter as it would attract any ferrous metals/particles no matter how small.

Last edited:
I saw one of those car TV shows about 5 years ago.They replaced all the drivetrain fluids with RP and the car got 8 more horsepower that it did with whatever was in it before.Just thought I would throw that out there.

Originally Posted By: gj
I saw one of those car TV shows about 5 years ago.They replaced all the drivetrain fluids with RP and the car got 8 more horsepower that it did with whatever was in it before.Just thought I would throw that out there.

It was on a slightly modd'ed TransAm/Firebird. Swapping the oil, tranny fluid, and rear diff fluid they gained slightly under 9 HP. However, the RP fluids did not "make" power they just freed up power already there by reducing friction.

http://www.royalpurple.com/rp-videos.html

I thought that it was a mid 90's camaro.Anyway if thats true I wonder if after 6,000 miles would it still have the same HP gain.

http://www.royalpurple.com/motor-oil-pp.html

All of the RP oils have a nice starting Tbn of 11-12. I've been impressed with the Tbn retention of their oils.

Quote:
Note: Engine oil’s solvency cleans wear metals and
deposits left by previous oils. These wear metals and
deposits can cause abnormally high values on used
oil analysis until the engine is clean.

With all the Internet hype about RP. I decided to give it a try. My 03 Dodge Ram P/U 4.7 has a cold engine piston knock. With the M1 the knock lasted approx 1 minute 45 seconds. With the RP the knock lasted 4 minutes. Change back to M1 and the knock was back to 1 minute 45 seconds. Each oil change Wix brand oil filter and 5W30 oil was used. I am sure the RP is great oil but the M1 sure seems to stop the knock quicker. Just my real world experience between the two products.

RP is ok I just dont think its any better in a street application. its not API rated .. and I can get other syn on sale for 3$/qt or less. What makes RP cost 2x as much as PP or M1?

because thats what it is here even with no sales.

I dont think anyone here would tell you its bad oil..

now dont ask me what the best oil to run in a 700hp drag car would be probably not my pp.. but that doesnt make RP any better in my 140HP daily driver.

Some of the best oils are not API rated: Amsoil, Redline, Schaeffers etc. They aren't hampered by API rules
banana2.gif

Its more like they dont want to cough up 100,000$ for api, per blend

I've used 3 of those 4 in the past :)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
RP is ok I just dont think its any better in a street application. its not API rated .. and I can get other syn on sale for 3$/qt or less. What makes RP cost 2x as much as PP or M1?

because thats what it is here even with no sales.

I dont think anyone here would tell you its bad oil..

now dont ask me what the best oil to run in a 700hp drag car would be probably not my pp.. but that doesnt make RP any better in my 140HP daily driver.

Actually most( all I think )of RP's regular street oils are API certified. Most are API SL but a small handful are API SM. Their XPR Racing line is not API certified.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: turbovanman
Is RP a group III or group IV oil?

Isn`t it a group IV/V? Pao base with the group V being Synerlec?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back