Anyone use Royal Purple?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couldnt find exactly what I was looking for in the search.

I drive an '06 tC, so 5W-30. Anyone use RP in their tC or at all gimme feedback please!
Also, I've used Mobil-1 full syn for as long as I can remember (70k on engine). Sending a sample from my oil change today to Blackstone Labs. Was at 3,026mi (yes, I know syn can be run for longer but I like the 3,000 mile rule). Planning on sending a sample from my next oil change also to compare the two.

REALLY all I'm looking for extra feedback on an approx. # of miles to run the RP in ratio to 3k on M1-syn. I've read 8-10k miles on RP in a couple places. Planning on getting the TBN test for both samples also.

Also I accidently put 4qt 8oz oil into the crank, 2oz over what spec is. Normally I wouldn't worry but the Royal Purple oil filter is smaller than the OEM toyota one. Oil looks over filled on the dipstick, but I haven't taken the car anywhere yet. Should I drain a little oil just in case, or not worry about it? Thanks in advance.

It would not be a good idea economically to run RP at 3K OCIs. You can even run the M1 way longer than that if you wanted. RP cost even more and *some* don't think RP is worth that extra cost.

At 3K intervals, your engine will in no way notice the slightest difference between M1 and RP.

I see this is your first post. Stick around here for a while and I'm sure you will toss the old fashion 3,000 mile rule out the window in no time.
56.gif

welcome2.gif

Last edited:
Many of Royal Purples oils are not SM rated - you have to check the different viscosities. Ive heard non-SM oils could potentially damage Cats - or at least shorten the life of them.

Last edited:
I noticed that they aren't SM rated. Didn't scare me away I guess. Heard enough/read enough about it that it pulled me in or something. I am very new to the oil thing. Found out about all the different stuff involved and wanted to make it into a researchable mod on my car I guess. Just curious if anyone ran it and how long they run it for. After getting samples back from Blackstone Labs I hope to be able to tell how much longer I can run the Mobil-1 and the RP than I did.

Seen more than enough positive things about Pennzoil Platinum on my specific engine (2.4L 2az-fe). Any feedback on that stuff from anyone? I just want the best oil for my buck, in ratio to the interval changed.

Synthetic oils are going to be roughly equivalent, especially for prudent OCIs. Pick a brand you like and use it often. Add a pint of MMO 500 miles before each oil change to help clean out any accumulated sludge.

Originally Posted By: kraxxus
(yes, I know syn can be run for longer but I like the 3,000 mile rule)

Rule?

You've been brainwashed. Spend some more time on these boards :)

If you're [censored] bent on a 3000 mile interval, don't even bother with synthetic let alone Royal Purple.

Last edited:
There are numerous people here that run it and love it.

But I agree that if you like 3,000 mile oil changes a Syn oil is a waste, especially RP.

Run Pennzoil yellow bottle and be done with it.

Now if you want the most bang for your buck buy either Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1 in the jug at Walmart (only $ 2.00 difference) I have used both.

If I was going to try a Premium Syn oil I would go with Amsoil or Redline before RP

Being you have the same engine I do and not a high performance one what is the point of RP?

Many people run a Syn oil 10,000 miles and call it good. I feel the best interval is somewhere between 6,000-7500 miles to be on the safe side.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ionbeam22
Synthetic oils are going to be roughly equivalent, especially for prudent OCIs. Pick a brand you like and use it often. Add a pint of MMO 500 miles before each oil change to help clean out any accumulated sludge.

What sludge?

Thanks for all the feedback guys - that's why I became a member here to find out about this stuff more instead of hoping for random answers on general forums. I really appreciate it. The Mobile-1 is cheap compared to RP that's why I wanted to know how long people ran it because it would definitely be a waste of $50 if I only ran it 3k. Imma send a sample in about 6-7k miles and see what comes back. Make a decision from there. I'll post all my results too. I know people love proof on forums =)

Sludge = insoluble solid matter than builds up in your crankcase from carbon burnoff from fuel ignition and oil compounds breaking down.

If you run a Syn oil for a reasonable OCI and don't have a known sludge motor or issue like a coolant leak into the motor, sludge should never be an issue.

I am just finishing a 13 month, 8K run of RP 5W20 SL oil in my '05 Ford 5.4L (MC filter). I will post the UOA. Will run a second batch for 8K with a RP filter and test again. I am neither "fer" nor "agin" RP at this point but am running this strictly as a test. Stay tuned.

Let me add my own
welcome2.gif

I am one of the resident RP fan's. Been running it for almost 20 years in everything from daily drivers to hot rods/muscle cars/drag engines, to marine applications and even yard equipment. It is a very good oil.

I only run it to 5K in vehicles under warranty but when warranty is not an issue I have run it well over 10K. With a quality filter you should have no problems running it 7-8K as you posted you wanted to. That is nothing for RP( or any quality synthetic )as long as you have a healthy engine with no fuel dillution or other issues that degrade the oil like anti freeze leaks and such.

However, a UOA to see how your engine does on it is a good idea as you have talked of doing. Every engine responds differently to different oils. I would suspect that 7-8K will be no problem with the RP for you. I would not do a UOA until you have done at least 2-3 OC's with RP however. The results you see if done after the initial swap to an oil will be much worse than the results after the engine has had a few runs on an oil.

As to the SL/SM cat issue. This is extremely overblown. You need an engine that really has problems with oil blow bye for this to be an issue. If you are getting enough oil blow bye to effect the cat's than you have bigger problems to worry about like a motor that is junk. RP 5W-30 is API SL. As long as your engine is healthy and is not using a ton of oil you are fine using it.

Is this vehicle under warranty still? You may have issues using the 5W-30 if your auto's mfg spec's SM or the Sarburst.

I`ve always wanted to do a run of RP XPR 10W40,but it`s a bit too expensive for me. I`ve heard great things about that oil.

Keep in mind, your warranty. 5 yrs 60,000 miles. Royal Purple could make it sticky with any problems motor wise. Alot of short drives in Pitt. traffic should be taken into consideration re. OCI, cannot just say 7,000or 10,000 OCI without knowing what conditions you drive under.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I`ve always wanted to do a run of RP XPR 10W40,but it`s a bit too expensive for me. I`ve heard great things about that oil.

I believe it has very high ZDDP. Could wreck havoc on the CAT it run alot.

But if people run older non emission vehicles it would probably be very good.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

I believe it has very high ZDDP. Could wreck havoc on the CAT it run alot.

But if people run older non emission vehicles it would probably be very good.

yeah,10W-40 isnt speced for any newer vehicles anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back