Another Tesla crash reported driving under Autopil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Maybe I missed it, but does the report say exactly how much time/distance there was for the car to react to the truck pulling out in front of it? If it was just a few seconds I doubt even a human with lighting fast reactions could have done much about making a proper evasive move.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
No, nobody is talking about this and preliminary police report doesn't include this info.

The final police report may not be available for several weeks or even months.

From the police graph of the accident scene I think Tesla driver could stop his car if he applied the brake as soon as the truck started to make the left turn, if he was in control of the car not the autopilot.

I will be interesting to see that data. If the truck pulled out in front of this car when there wasn't really any time for a reaction by any human or machine to avoid the accident, then it changes the whole scenario IMO.

I think this type of data is nearly impossible to obtain, unless someone happened to be on the sidewalk on that highway facing west and video the instant the truck started the left turn, and Tesla on the far end of the picture.

As I said, from Florida Police report and the graph of the accident scene, Tesla was on right lane and hit the middle of the trailer without slow down at 65 MPH. If the driver or autopilot started the brake as soon as the truck started to turn left the car should stop with plenty of room to spare.

If you look at the diagram of the accident scene, the truck should complete the left turn from standstill in no more than 15-20 seconds. Where Tesla hit the trailer the truck had been on the turn at least 7-8 seconds. At 65MPH the car covers 95 feet per second, multiply 95 feet with 5 seconds is 475 feet. Tesla can easily stop from 65 MPH in less than 200 feet.

Maybe I missed it, but does the report say exactly how much time/distance there was for the car to react to the truck pulling out in front of it? If it was just a few seconds I doubt even a human with lighting fast reactions could have done much about making a proper evasive move.

No, nobody is talking about this and preliminary police report doesn't include this info.

The final police report may not be available for several weeks or even months.

From the police graph of the accident scene I think Tesla driver could stop his car if he applied the brake as soon as the truck started to make the left turn, if he was in control of the car not the autopilot.

I will be interesting to see that data. If the truck pulled out in front of this car when there wasn't really any time for a reaction by any human or machine to avoid the accident, then it changes the whole scenario IMO.

I think this type of data is nearly impossible to obtain, unless someone happened to be on the sidewalk on that highway facing west and video the instant the truck started the left turn, and Tesla on the far end of the picture.

As I said, from Florida Police report and the graph of the accident scene, Tesla was on right lane and hit the middle of the trailer without slow down at 65 MPH. If the driver or autopilot started the brake as soon as the truck started to turn left the car should stop with plenty of room to spare.

If you look at the diagram of the accident scene, the truck should complete the left turn from standstill in no more than 15-20 seconds. Where Tesla hit the trailer the truck had been on the turn at least 7-8 seconds. At 65MPH the car covers 95 feet per second, multiply 95 feet with 5 seconds is 475 feet. Tesla can easily stop from 65 MPH in less than 200 feet.

Was it verified the truck started making the turn from a stand still ... or did he try to 'beat' the Tesla and made a turn without stopping? If he only slowed down to make the turn, then the time frame involved would be much different. It could have been that the Tesla was only a 100 feet or less away when the truck started it's turn. In order for the Tesla to hit the middle of the trailer it couldn't have been very far out if the truck made the turn without stopping ... probably only takes a few seconds for the truck to travel a distance half it's length while crossing the road the Tesla was traveling on if the truck driver only slowed to turn. Even from a dead stop, it shouldn't take a semi 20 seconds to cross a two lane highway.

The Florida Police report and the graph of the accident scene doesn't have anything associated with the real distance between the two vehicles when this chain of events all started.

Was it verified the truck started making the turn from a stand still ... or did he try to 'beat' the Tesla and made a turn without stopping? If he only slowed down to make the turn, then the time frame involved would be much different. It could have been that the Tesla was only a 100 feet or less away when the truck started it's turn. In order for the Tesla to hit the middle of the trailer it couldn't have been very far out if the truck made the turn without stopping ... probably only takes a few seconds for the truck to travel a distance half it's length while crossing the road the Tesla was traveling on if the truck driver only slowed to turn. Even from a dead stop, it shouldn't take a semi 20 seconds to cross a two lane highway.

The Florida Police report and the graph of the accident scene doesn't have anything associated with the real distance between the two vehicles when this chain of events all started.

No, no report about how the truck started making the turn, from stand still or rolling.

Assume that the truck made a very fast turn while rolling on left turn lane, and it took 3 seconds to be at the position that Tesla ran though the middle of the trailer at 65 MPH. Again, at 95 feet per second Tesla had 285 feet to stop and just say Tesla driver took 1 second to realize that he needed to brake hard he still had 190 feet to stop at 65 MPH. Most cars can stop shorter than that distance at 65 MPH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back