A Tesla Model S on auto-pilot was in a fatal crash

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shannow
I still don't get how the fully rested driver didn't snap to attention and take action himself...

There's a difference between fully rested and not paying attention and being aware of what's going on around you. Obviously, this driver put too much convenience in the car to drive itself.

HTSS_TR, why was your other Tesla thread deleted?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow
I still don't get how the fully rested driver didn't snap to attention and take action himself...

As far as I know of this accident after doing some reading from various sources, Tesla Autopilot didn't generate any alarm by visual or by audio, probably because Autopilot didn't detect anything unusual. The driver may be was doing something else and without any warning he didn't stop what he was doing and look around. It is possible that the driver had been using autopilot for quite a while and he had his trust on it too much.

Below is what I posted on the first day of this thread on June 30, with very limited knowledge about the accident I already felt that Tesla is partially responsible for this accident.

More information about this accident appeared on the net the last 2 weeks, I am convince that all 3 parties(truck driver, Tesla driver and Tesla) share the blames. What percentage will be assigned to each party is up in the air.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR June 30, 2016
Looks like auto pilot should see the tractor trailer, it should apply the brake and possibly steer the car to the left to avoid hitting the tractor.

I think Tesla auto pilot is at the very minimum partially responsible for the death of the owner/driver. The tractor trailer is partially responsible and the driver too.

If the driver didn't totally rely on autopilot he may be able to avoid the accident, or at least didn't get killed

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
There's a difference between fully rested and not paying attention and being aware of what's going on around you. Obviously, this driver put too much convenience in the car to drive itself.

HTSS_TR, why was your other Tesla thread deleted?
21.gif

I have no idea which one of my Tesla thread was deleted. I didn't get any PM from anyone about it. I think that thread was deleted probably because of heated debate ?
21.gif

Tesla is going to revise the software to look at fewer data points so that the radar can detect a crossing tractor trailer. Well what about small cars crossing, what about thousands of other situations that may require the computer to use more data points?
Sounds like Tesla is simply reacting here to fix one problem for one particular situation, where it could lead to problems in other situations.

Instead of fixing this thing, it should be pulled off the cars, the owners should get a full refund and Tesla should do their own R&D with testing and on their own dime. If not the authorities should step in and pull the plug on this. The name of this feature "Autopilot" is also very misleading and probably leading the owners to a false sense of security.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
The name of this feature "Autopilot" is also very misleading and probably leading the owners to a false sense of security.

Tesla has informed the public to stop referring to it as "Autopilot". Tesla calls is "self steering". I don't know if Tesla ever called it autopilot. Probably something the public coined.

Tesla calls it autopilot:
https://www.tesla.com/presskit/autopilot

Their marketing really tries to make it sound like you can just sit back and relax and let the Tesla take you to your destination:

Quote:

Model S is designed to keep getting better over time. The latest software update, 7.0 allows Model S to use its unique combination of cameras, radar, ultrasonic sensors and data to automatically steer down the highway, change lanes, and adjust speed in response to traffic. Once you’ve arrived at your destination, Model S scans for a parking space and parallel parks on your command.

Along with the new Autopilot features, the instrument cluster’s new driver-focused design shows the real-time information the car uses to intelligently determine the vehicle's behavior in that moment relative to its surroundings.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
The name of this feature "Autopilot" is also very misleading and probably leading the owners to a false sense of security.

Tesla has informed the public to stop referring to it as "Autopilot". Tesla calls is "self steering". I don't know if Tesla ever called it autopilot. Probably something the public coined.

https://www.tesla.com/en_AU/presskit/autopilot

Nope, they use it in their web address for Australia, while lobbying to allow them to use it, and conveniently not mentioning it's downsides.

Well, it seems Tesla is now not liking the term "autopilot" so much anymore and I saw a news report where Tesla asked the public to stop calling it "autopilot". I guess Tesla better do the same then.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Tesla calls it autopilot:
https://www.tesla.com/presskit/autopilot

They use the word "autopilot" once on that webpage, but use the work "autosteer" six times. Check back in a week and see if that word "autopilot" disappears or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back