Another stealership horror story.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will say that replacing the battery on a 2010-2017 Equinox is not the most fun. Definitely not a 10-minute job.

Dealer estimate when I needed one on my 2015 was $300 parts and labor.

Did it myself for $100, but it took about an hour. The next time I could probably do it in 30-40 minutes.
Wow.. crazy

I will say that replacing the battery on a 2010-2017 Equinox is not the most fun. Definitely not a 10-minute job.

Dealer estimate when I needed one on my 2015 was $300 parts and labor.

Did it myself for $100, but it took about an hour. The next time I could probably do it in 30-40 minutes.
Wow..

Here is the paperwork...

Attachments

• IMG_20220111_124048__01.jpg
    IMG_20220111_124048__01.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_20220111_124058__01.jpg
    IMG_20220111_124058__01.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 116
Line 1: Customer states vehicle does not start, tow-in. Check and advise.

1 hr, $200

Line 2: Replace battery
0.3 hr or some menu price for labor, let's just say $60

Line 3: Fuel System Service
$200

Battery: ACDelco 47G, List is $128.95
Tax: $13-15

Total: $604

$700 seems a little high, but maybe their labor rate and parts markup is higher.
Live somewhere with near 10% sales tax, not to mention the typical percentage for shop supplies, etc and yes, you are at $700. The $200 fuel system service is suspect. Everything else is in line with what one might pay at a dealership.

Live somewhere with near 10% sales tax, not to mention the typical percentage for shop supplies, etc and yes, you are at $700. The $200 fuel system service is suspect. Everything else is in line with what one might pay at a dealership.
Shop supplies are actually not an allowed charge in CA, but yes, $200 is a fairly average rate around here. Some dealers went to $235 at the start of this year and I know of one dealer at $280.

Here is the paperwork...
Everything on there looks as expected and is reasonable… except for the debated fuel system service.

Line 1: Diag no start, replace battery and test charging system.

$200 labor
$215.62 battery

Line 2: Oil Change

$49.95

Line 3: BG fuel system service

$199.95

Shop supplies are actually not an allowed charge in CA, but yes, $200 is a fairly average rate around here. Some dealers went to $235 at the start of this year and I know of one dealer at $280.
I’m sure they just have a larger mark up on the parts or labor. Shop supplies are an allowed extra charge in Illinois. Some areas are above 10% sales tax if there is a local sales tax and it applies to all charges.

Even gasoline has sales tax in addition to the per-gallon excise taxes.

All seems about normal (yes, they do charge that much), and if your daughter is over 18, signing off for permission on the fuel cleaner is on her. Almost every dealership I’ve been to tries to sell me the alignment, filters for air and cabin, the (usually BG) fuel system clean, and then asks me if I want to trade it in on a ……. . It’s the nature if the beast. Dealerships make a lot of their $$ in the service dept.

Sorry about your daughter's experience. Ridiculous indeed, rip off. These places have no conscience, taking advantage of the unknowledgeable is SOP.

By convincing her to get the FI "service", they covered themselves somewhat for serious price upcharge. Same as the recent Hyundai thread with similar type service, I suspect a bottle of Techron or similar.

As mentioned, in your daughter's case perhaps a membership to AAA or similar service would be worth it.

Tough lesson, hopefully something learned. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...........
Coincidentally, Hyundai's recommend fuel system cleaner is, you bet it, rebranded Techron.
Local Hyundai dealer also love selling PCV valves and coolant flush lol.

ZZman said:
I guess it is this:

A high-pressure cleaning solution is attached to the fuel system at the engine. The technician runs the engine exclusively on the cleaning solution which breaks down carbon, grime, and debris build-up on the fuel injectors, and washes any deposits from the rest of the fuel system.

The high pressure injector cleaning may be necessary on a car that has over 100k miles on it and was run with the cheapest non-top tier gas available most of it's life. But adding a bottle of Techron or other quality fuel system cleaner for a few dollars every 5000 miles would probably obviate the need for an expensive dealer service. A 2017 vehicle with 78,000 miles on it probably didn't need the dealer service, provided that they even did the high pressure service and didn't just pour in a bottle of cleaner.

MY point wasn't whether the vehicle needed the service or not-my point exactly is what the service entails-i.e. more than pouring contents of a bottle in to a gas tank.

Don't let all this jargon change the fact that you were charged $700 for $200 of needed parts and labor. The fairness of the pricing of things you didn't need is irrelevant, and a scam.

We now live in a world where teaching each other how to avoid being severely scammed is thought of as basic learning.

Close to 170,000 miles on my 30 year old Ford pickup. And I've never once touched the injectors, or the fuel system. With the exception of a few fuel filter changes.
However, with out disassembly there is no way to know how they really look, or the performance fall off since it would be gradual. I would think many vehicles-for example are going to have some amount of dirt in the bottom of the gas tank with time and/or millage or both.

So my daughters vehicle in Colorado had a dead battery. It wouldn't jump so she had it towed to a dealership.
Long story short a bad battery cost her $700 after diagnostics, new battery and a Fuel Injector service they talked her into.

Ridiculous. I told her to find a local trusted shop to go to next time.
If it was my daughter I'd be on the phone disputing the injector charges and if they didn't refund, would go further. The tow, the battery and diagnostic, sure have to pay that. But these clowns and their injector service would send me over the top.

This is what it is superposed to be. With reputable dealerships it's just not "pouring fuel injector cleaner" in the gas tank. Lots of ignorant comments on this thread.
But unless you have evidence (and a dead battery is not evidence) that this was necessary......then in my mind, it's a total waste of money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back